XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

leaping cat

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2011 | 06:57 AM
|
Default leaping cat

I have received a leaping cat gift from my friend to install on my 2005 XJ. Now how will i do that? what are the right measurements. I am not scared to do it myself with a drill, but i need the right measurements. Can you help?

Old 11-03-2011 | 09:26 AM

as in a hood ornament? i thought all XJ's up until 2008 had a Leaper on the hood.

Old 11-03-2011 | 10:21 AM
Veteran Member

I think only in America.

Old 11-03-2011 | 11:09 AM

Careful.....aluminum body. I would consult those who know something about preventing corrosion.

Old 11-03-2011 | 03:57 PM
Veteran Member

As a European/Mid East spec car, the 'leaper' was never available, so you will have to drill the bonnet to fit it. As to preventing corrosion, make sure you use some sort of barrier like an anti-rust compound in and around the fixing studs and nuts. You are less at risk in Lebanon, as I don't expect the roads authority scatter much salt on the roads in winter, but I may be wrong.

Old 11-04-2011 | 03:13 AM
|

I was always under the impression that aluminum is rust free. and no we do not use salt here on our roads in Beirut, Lebanon as it never snows on the coastline. In all cases, I have this taken care by a reputable bodywork shop that will make sure the rust problem is avoided. However my question is simplier realy, my question is where do we need to punsh the hood. my worries is that it is too far from the front or too close. Basically, how far in CMS or INCHES would the hood be perforated? I was expecting the leeper to be sold with a blue print to tell exactly where. worse comes to worse, I will have to check and measure anothyer XJ with a leaper factory installed.

Old 11-04-2011 | 01:52 PM
Veteran Member

I am sure our American posters can give you some measurements for fitting your leaper. The term "rust" is usually only used to describe iron and steel corrosion, everything else is just "corrosion".

Aluminium metal when exposed to air instantly forms an oxide layer which normally prevents further corrosion action. The industrial anodising process was developed to make this layer much deeper than normal, and to also allow colouring of the oxide layer. Trouble occurs when aluminium metal is exposed to a salt solution in the absence of oxygen, thus preventing the oxide layer from forming; corrision can then be rapid.

In your case you would seem to have no problem with Lebanon not using salt on your roads in winter, so your car should last a very long time indeed. As a matter of interest, about how many Jaguars are there in Lebanon ? Every time I see Mid-East leaders in the TV news getting out of cars they are always big Mercs.

Old 11-05-2011 | 05:42 AM
|

Originally Posted by Fraser Mitchell
I am sure our American posters can give you some measurements for fitting your leaper. The term "rust" is usually only used to describe iron and steel corrosion, everything else is just "corrosion".

Aluminium metal when exposed to air instantly forms an oxide layer which normally prevents further corrosion action. The industrial anodising process was developed to make this layer much deeper than normal, and to also allow colouring of the oxide layer. Trouble occurs when aluminium metal is exposed to a salt solution in the absence of oxygen, thus preventing the oxide layer from forming; corrision can then be rapid.

In your case you would seem to have no problem with Lebanon not using salt on your roads in winter, so your car should last a very long time indeed. As a matter of interest, about how many Jaguars are there in Lebanon ? Every time I see Mid-East leaders in the TV news getting out of cars they are always big Mercs.

Quite enlightening information thanks. This part of the world worship mercedes. Apparently long years of war leaves you with broken roads, bad oil and petrol quality (du to lack of governmental inspctions) most petrol station owners use to mix petrol with diesel and even water ... So as you presume mercedes (in the 80s and 90s as new ones are becoming fragile) are the only vehicles that can take all this impurities in addition to Toyotas. Also before the reunification of Germany thousand of used mercs were imported to this part of the world and again mercedes are the best used (now with a high euro value they are importing thm from the US). While evrything went back o normal since 1993 onward people are back to buyung other brands but mercedes remain their favourite as the markts are soaked with spare parts and mechanics have become expets n fixing them. Jaguars are very few indeed. Mercedes are like rolex watches, but few now what vacheron Constantin or audemars Piguet are!

Old 11-06-2011 | 03:17 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by billodavio
Quite enlightening information thanks. This part of the world worship mercedes. Apparently long years of war leaves you with broken roads, bad oil and petrol quality (du to lack of governmental inspctions) most petrol station owners use to mix petrol with diesel and even water ... So as you presume mercedes (in the 80s and 90s as new ones are becoming fragile) are the only vehicles that can take all this impurities in addition to Toyotas. Also before the reunification of Germany thousand of used mercs were imported to this part of the world and again mercedes are the best used (now with a high euro value they are importing thm from the US). While evrything went back o normal since 1993 onward people are back to buyung other brands but mercedes remain their favourite as the markts are soaked with spare parts and mechanics have become expets n fixing them. Jaguars are very few indeed. Mercedes are like rolex watches, but few now what vacheron Constantin or audemars Piguet are!
Great comparison and on Mercedes and Rolex I always same very same thing .
You can also sell Mercedes Benz easier and turn it into cash when you need

Old 11-07-2011 | 11:11 PM
Veteran Member

Interesting information...

Old 11-08-2011 | 04:40 AM

Jaguars are very few indeed. Mercedes are like rolex watches, but few now what vacheron Constantin or audemars Piguet are!
Well said!

I note that many "Car Guys" are are also "Watch Guys" as well as "Gun Guys".

I'll also note that German's do a great job at manufacturing all three. -- Oh ya, and BEER.

Old 11-09-2011 | 08:08 AM
|

Cars watches and guns are indeed my passion in addition to cigars and all four are available in beirut