XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Left front brake hanging up.

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2010, 06:21 AM
Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Left front brake hanging up.

I'm getting ready to take off my left front caliper and see what is causing it to hang up. Washed the car on Saturday, didn't drive it until yesterday and the brake was making too much contact with the rotor. It threw off a lot of dust and really heated things up. I have a feeling that the alighnment pins are corroded and not allowing the caliper to "relax". Any ideas or things to watch out for would be appreciated. Thanks

Old 06-17-2010, 06:55 AM
ud
Received 148 Likes on 75 Posts

It should be very straightforward. Caliper pins are about all that could be causing the pads not to release. Make sure the caliper bolts are tight on the carrier and carrier it tight on the steering knuckle, and the pad springs are present. Use the correct synthetic grease for the caliper pins, not just any grease. All parts stores have it. Sta-Lub is one brand I use.

Old 06-17-2010, 07:04 AM

Should I remove the caliper or just pulll the pins one at a time and lube them up?

Old 06-17-2010, 09:58 AM
ud

If it were me, I'd pull the caliper because I'd want to ensure the pads are seating correctly and the pad springs are in place, then I'd check the carrier bolts for tightness. But, if all you want to do is lube the caliper pins, then yes, you can pull the one at a time, wipe them clean if not dry, and lube with syn brake grease.

If you pull the calipers, check that the pads are both wearing evenly, front edge to back edge.

Old 06-17-2010, 10:44 AM

It looks like the caliper isn't relaxing enough. I took out the pins, cleaned and lubed. When I got a look at the piston it is pretty rough. I don't think I would want to use it in a rebuild. When I loosen the pads up the wheel rotates freely. When I apply the brake and let go it just wants to hold on to the rotor. Probably shop for a reman caliper. Should I replace both...I probably don't have to but I will be replacing pads at the same time on both sides. I see in the JTIS that it calls to replace the brake hoses when you replace calipers. Is this necessary? Mine appear to be fine. If so I'll just add them to my order. Thanks in advance and thanks for the advice.

Old 06-17-2010, 01:50 PM
ud

Brake calipers don't spring back or release necessarily when the pedal is released if you're checking it that way. They can stay pretty firm onto the rotor surface. The difference in use is that wheel rotation breaks loose the bind created by the brake fluid pressure when the pedal was applied.

I'm not saying you're incorrect in your analysis, just make sure you are not overanalyzing it. The only other condition I can think of (and very seldom see it) is brake fluid that is seriously contaminated with water (moisture) so that the caliper piston is rusting to the side of the caliper bore. That could cause the piston to be sticking in the bore and not releasing very much after pedal pressure.

Do you have knowledge of the last time brake fluid was changed? I personally take fluid here pretty seriously and change mine in all of my personal cars once a year, but factory is once every two years.

YES - you should check the other side and whatever you do to one side, do to the other step for step.

Old 06-17-2010, 02:18 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

not to thread jack, but Im getting a noise from the US passenger side rotor caliper too. no excessive dust but I hear it while driving. I had the rotor resurfaced , and thermo quiet pads installled. I poked around and notice the rotors didnt have the retainer clips on the bolts to hole the caliper in place.

Do the front rotors have these ?

I know the rear rotors did because I personally replaced those, the front I had done at a shop.