XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Left Front End Rattle

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2015, 12:50 PM
JRP
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Left Front End Rattle

I know these can be very difficult to diagnose over the internet, but thanks in advance for any ideas that might help solve a strange noise that's been going on too long!

73,000 on 06 XJR

What I've done already - New Arnott Front Shocks, Front Lower Control Arms, Upper Control A Arms, Lower Rear Control Arm Bushings, Sway Bar Bushings and on a side note rebuilt the air compressor (super easy btw).

Issue has been going on for the past 3 years since I have taken ownership of the vehicle, but with all the work recently done I fully expected it to cure the noise. Rattle is very pronounced on small bumps or rough roads, not larger bumps such as pulling into a curb. Sounds as if something somewhat substantial is rattling on metal. Can be duplicated every time by going over reflectors on road, but also can be duplicated on bumps as well.

Indy shop says ball joints are solid. When replacing the shocks I removed the sway bar end links and they felt good.

I have even removed the air cleaner box to see if that was the issue (of course reinstalled after short test drive). Nothing seems to be the culprit!

So is it possible that even though sway bar end links felt tight with no noticeable play that they could be the culprit?

Interesting enough, I can also duplicate the sound by driving the right side over reflectors although the sound doesn't come from the right side, it still comes from the left side so something is causing the transfer to driver side with the noise then eminating.

One other point is it is more pronounced when driving over reflectors on the inside of the front left tire vs. outside or middle. Tires are also new.

Old 03-25-2015, 02:47 PM
Received 89 Likes on 52 Posts

Got a go pro? Strap it up next to the sound maybe?

Old 03-25-2015, 03:39 PM
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I have found that the noise comes from the front Caliper. I have replaces everything and then bought new clips for the retainment of the pads. I have found that took car of 95% but I think the rubber bushings that hold the caliper pins in place need to be replaced. The caliper floats and when going over bumps you can hear the noise but if the brake is applied the noise stops. I am going to change out the pins and the bushings that hold the caliper to the assembly and that should take care of the noise completely.

Old 03-26-2015, 09:58 AM
JRP

Thanks for the responses, the more I think about it after carefully duplicating the rattle the more I think it is likely to be the air strut lower bushing. Things such as being able to feel as you should an expansion joint on the highway on the right side and not the left side seems to support this, not to mention just about everything else on the front end is new!

Has anyone on the forum replaced their air strut bushing while the control arm is on the call? I am thinking of heating up the arm with a propane torch and using C-Clamp with corresponding correct socket size to push out and push it in? vs. taking the lower arm off entirely.

Old 03-27-2015, 03:59 AM
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Well, I was able to duplicate the noise over the bumps in the middle of the road and when I put my foot on the brake and the other foot on the gas the noise went away. I let off the brake and the noise came back. All of my suspension is new so I know its not suspension related. Id try my solution first just to see. Then if it doesn't work you know its the other issue.

The following users liked this post:
Eddy Diano Lardizabal (04-20-2015)
Old 03-28-2015, 02:09 PM
JRP

Thanks Collector1, tried that last evening rattle still there. Looks like next step will be to replace suspension bushing.

Old 03-28-2015, 04:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 751 Likes on 631 Posts

There have been reports of rattles from the bodywork.

Behind the front plastic bumper there is a metal (aluminium) bumper across

the front of the car and I seem to remember a report on this forum of rattling

form the sections that connect this to the main bodywork.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...acement-70056/

The following 2 users liked this post by meirion1:
AD2014 (04-04-2015), Don B (03-28-2015)
Old 03-28-2015, 09:19 PM
Received 12,952 Likes on 6,470 Posts

There has also been at least one report of loose suspension fasteners. If I recall the description, they were screws that secured certain suspension components to the body, but I may be wrong. It would still be worth checking every bolt, nut and screw.

The following users liked this post:
AD2014 (04-04-2015)
Old 04-01-2015, 12:17 PM
JRP

Received new lower strut/shock bushings from Rock Auto, scheduled tomorrow for replacement. I am keeping my fingers crossed, there isn't a lot left to replace on the front end. Rock Auto had a close out on sway bar links, ordered two of those as well at only $9.95 each. Figured if the bush doesn't fix it, I will change those out which would completely eliminate any suspension related component rattling that I can think of.

Wish me luck!

Old 04-06-2015, 01:16 PM
JRP

Just a quick update. Received the new shock bushing and they were the wrong ones! After searching the internet amazon.com had a Beck Arnley version vs. Rock Auto's URO version that overnighted was substantially less than anywhere else I could find and wouldn't you know it, it's the right part!

So dropped it off at the shop on Saturday and asked to take a look at the old part, got underneath the Jag on the lift and felt the tie rod end out of curiousity. No movement side to side which is what it's supposed to be, but wouldn't you know it there is verticle play that is unmistakable and you can duplicate a noise with the and by moving up and down. Ordered new tie rod end this morning from O'Reliy, got it for $21.99 with lifetime warranty. just dropped that off as well. I'm not certain if the movement was only manifest on the failed part with the lower air shock disconnected or what, but feel that this should have been found before now.

After all this time and frustration, money spent on parts I probably didn't need it is likely to come down to a faulty tie rod end for $21.99 plus install/alignment. I'm 99.9% sure problem will be solved and will do an update this afternoon when finished.

Old 04-10-2015, 12:05 AM
JRP

Sure enough, what was a very audible unusual noise over bumps is now gone. Car has the customary squeak hear and their, but this problem is now solved.

The following 4 users liked this post by JRP:
Don B (04-10-2015), lcmjaguar (04-10-2015), rcannon (04-11-2015), Sean W (04-10-2015)