XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Lemon?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2010, 06:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lemon?

I bought an xjs in may now have 1500 miles last week went out with the family after we left the restaurant we noticed a strong a strong smell of gas and ,a thinking sound when we drove alpine gag of lauderdale had the car towed in they found a loose sway bar and a small leak in what they called a minor gas line that was last week picked up the car yesterday. Everything was fine. Today while tuning errands got out got back in a few minutes later a beatle cut was playing that I'd downloaded all of a sudden it stopped it said paused couldn't get it started tried to play another downloaded cd nothing tried sat radio nothing tried fm blue tooth stopped working. Tried playing a cd it wouldn't play or eject called up jag said they had to do a hard restart on the car this apparently isn't uncommon in this year this model a car with only 1700 miles ,no matter how expensive shouldn't be having all these problems

Old 09-22-2010, 10:49 AM
Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts

What year is this car? The newest ones are almost 15yrs old now, regardless of mileage. Even with care things like rubber hoses, bushings, and the like will perish. Cd player jammed? Not surprising on one of that vintage.

Old 09-22-2010, 10:52 AM

A lot of older cars are great once you dump a lot of money into them. I find a lot of cars go for cheap when the owner gives up on fixing things, sometimes you have to know when to cut your losses and drive it till it dies, or it sells..

Old 09-22-2010, 10:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 716 Posts

Me thinks that this is not an XJS at all.

Mozart, please will you confirm this model (I believe you have a 2011 XJ) but you might also have an XJS?

Old 09-23-2010, 05:36 AM
Veteran Member
Received 639 Likes on 441 Posts

There is some sort of misunderstanding here so he posted his message under X308 Forums and he stated XJS ( sounded like his 2nd jag ) and I just moved this message to the XJS in which I thought was a proper act but I think he had a typo and moving to X350 Forums to make a correction

Old 09-23-2010, 08:35 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Mozart
I bought an xjs in may now have 1500 miles last week went out with the family after we left the restaurant we noticed a strong a strong smell of gas and ,a thinking sound when we drove alpine gag of lauderdale had the car towed in they found a loose sway bar and a small leak in what they called a minor gas line that was last week picked up the car yesterday. Everything was fine. Today while tuning errands got out got back in a few minutes later a beatle cut was playing that I'd downloaded all of a sudden it stopped it said paused couldn't get it started tried to play another downloaded cd nothing tried sat radio nothing tried fm blue tooth stopped working. Tried playing a cd it wouldn't play or eject called up jag said they had to do a hard restart on the car this apparently isn't uncommon in this year this model a car with only 1700 miles ,no matter how expensive shouldn't be having all these problems
Here's the translation for those who also had trouble reading this post.

"I bought a 2011 XJ in May, and I now have 1,500 miles on it. Last week I went out with my faimily to dinner. After we left the restaurant, we started driving away and noticed a strong smell of gas in the cabin, and an unidentified sound (clicking, tinkering, ticking...not sure). I was concerned about driving it afterwards, so when I got home, I had Alpine Jaguar of Ft. Laduerdale tow the car in to their shop. They found a loose sway bar, and a small leak in what they called a minor gas line. That was last week. I picked up the car yesterday, and everything seemed fine. Today, while running errands and listening to a Beatles cut that I had downloaded to the hard drive, the radio stopped working, and it showed "Pause" on the screen. I couldn't get it unpaused, and I tried to play another CD that I had downloaded to the car's hard drive. That didn't work, and the Sirius satellite, FM, and the bluetooth connection all were not working as well. I then tried to play a CD, but that didn't work, and it wouldn't eject the CD. I called Jaguar and they said that they needed to do a "hard restart", and that it's apparently not an uncommon problem with the 2011 XJ's. A car shouldn't have this many problems, regardless of how much the car costs."

Old 09-23-2010, 08:57 AM

It's a 2011 xjs the tech said there are people coming in with the cars because a software problem cusses the system to freeze but that still doesn't explain the other stuff but I got it back yesterday so I 'd better enjoy it before something else goes wrong

Old 09-23-2010, 03:24 PM
Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts

It's a 2011 xjs the tech said there are people coming in with the cars because a software problem cusses the system to freeze but that still doesn't explain the other stuff but I got it back yesterday so I 'd better enjoy it before something else goes wrong
Maybe you mean a 2011 XJ Supercharged? This sounds like some of the electronic wizardry problems some are having.

Old 09-24-2010, 05:19 AM
Angry

Ok I might have lposted in the wrong section but ever since I found this site,the majority of the conversations appears to be grammatical form not content maybe I can find a forum of little old lady English teachers and they'll discuss car issues. The guys at the vette forum may be a little boring talking about recent mods and weather or not they got a good deal. But at least it's not gerunds,verbiage but cars

Old 09-24-2010, 08:43 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Ok I might have lposted in the wrong section but ever since I found this site,the majority of the conversations appears to be grammatical form not content maybe I can find a forum of little old lady English teachers and they'll discuss car issues. The guys at the vette forum may be a little boring talking about recent mods and weather or not they got a good deal. But at least it's not gerunds,verbiage but cars

I'm sure you're a quality guy Mozart, and it's not intended as an insult. The point of my postings is this...this is a forum where the goal is to communicate with other Jaguar owners. Asking questions, posting thoughts/comments, providing expertise, etc.. At the very core though is communication. When you post, and seemingly don't make much of an effort to ensure that your communication is understood, it makes me think that you're really not that interested in what anyone else thinks. If you were, you'd make sure that your communication is clearly understood. It's rather like leaving a voicemail message for someone that you'd like to hear back from, and speeding through your phone number. Or if you write down your name and phone number for and important client, but you write it so messy that they can't even read the name and number. Standard typos and grammatical errors are expected...this is a forum, and that's expected with any internet dialogue, but your posting goes way beyond that, and thus my posting. It shouldn't be our job to figure out where you meant to put a period. I shouldn't have to read sentences over and over again to understand your thought. It's not about being the grammar police...this is about respecting your fellow forum members enough to make sure that your communication is easily understood.

Wouldyoureadthisforumifallofthemessagesweredoneint hisformatwithnospacesorperiodsandyouhadtospendallo fyourtimetryingtofigureoutwhattheheckeveyonewaysay ingnoIsuspectnotanditwouldmakeyouwonderwhysomeonew ouldcommunicateinawaythatotherswouldhavedifficulty understanding

Old 09-24-2010, 03:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,450 Likes on 1,948 Posts

Hey, easy, guys, easy ! Mozart is worried about his car, and who wouldn't be with a smell of petrol;that stuff can set alight quite easily.

From what I have seen so far, these new XJs of "2011" are having a few problems. As this new car has started build at the same time as ownership of the Jaguar Car Company has changed tells me that certain persons in Jaguar have not had their eye on the ball, or maybe they were fired or something. There certainly seems something odd going on with the reluctance of the dealers and Jaguar to sort things out quickly, at that is what I see from my UK perspective. I have never seen the new XJ on the road here in the UK

(why they use the next year for a car you buy this year I shall never understand)

And Mozart needs to type up the post a little bit more carefully, but I also make lots of mistakes too, as we all do.

Old 09-24-2010, 09:38 PM
pwl
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by kid delicious
Here's the translation for those who also had trouble reading this post.

"I bought a 2011 XJ in May, and I now have 1,500 miles on it. Last week I went out with my faimily to dinner. After we left the restaurant, we started driving away and noticed a strong smell of gas in the cabin, and an unidentified sound (clicking, tinkering, ticking...not sure). I was concerned about driving it afterwards, so when I got home, I had Alpine Jaguar of Ft. Laduerdale tow the car in to their shop. They found a loose sway bar, and a small leak in what they called a minor gas line. That was last week. I picked up the car yesterday, and everything seemed fine. Today, while running errands and listening to a Beatles cut that I had downloaded to the hard drive, the radio stopped working, and it showed "Pause" on the screen. I couldn't get it unpaused, and I tried to play another CD that I had downloaded to the car's hard drive. That didn't work, and the Sirius satellite, FM, and the bluetooth connection all were not working as well. I then tried to play a CD, but that didn't work, and it wouldn't eject the CD. I called Jaguar and they said that they needed to do a "hard restart", and that it's apparently not an uncommon problem with the 2011 XJ's. A car shouldn't have this many problems, regardless of how much the car costs."
I can translate. He must has a 2011 XJ....the same problems me and many others are having. The 2011 XJ...nicing looking POS on the road.

Old 09-25-2010, 02:51 PM
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I'd like to join Mozart's Mob and start making some good money then I can buy an XJ Supercharged and complain about it's fuel leak on our forum here.

Old 09-27-2010, 09:10 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i think we are a small handful that got Lemons.

Old 09-27-2010, 09:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,871 Likes on 7,150 Posts

It's not about being the grammar police...this is about respecting your fellow forum members enough to make sure that your communication is easily understood.

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

I belong to a slew of different discussion groups, mostly auto related. I try to help however and whenever I can but, to be 100% honest, I have neither the time nor desire to re-read a posting 3 or 4 times just to ferret out a tiny inkling of what the poster is trying to say. I don't care about "correctness" for the sake of correctness. Just use enough structure and punctuation so that it's understandable.

As long as I'm complaining, has the world forgotten what a paragraph is? Maybe it's just me but slogging thru 40-50 lines of text, all in a single paragraph, is just too much work. I'm tempted to start replying with "TL;dr" (Too long; didn't read)

Rant over. Whew, I feel better :-)

Cheers
DD

Old 09-27-2010, 10:00 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Good luck dealing with Alpine. I got my XK from them but gave up using them and headed to Palm Beach Jaguar for service instead.