XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Licence / Number plate bulb replacement

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2012, 06:59 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Licence / Number plate bulb replacement

The bulbs are out on the rear plate. There are 2 lenses that have small tabs on either side. I have squeezed and pried around with all the force that I think I can get away with. I have read my JTIS which tells me zero as usual. I would like to avoid braking them, so before I go all "bull in a china shop" on these plastic lenses, can someone tell me the trick?

Thanks
Norman

Old 11-26-2012, 07:01 AM

Just in case, this is on my 04 XJR

Old 11-26-2012, 12:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 535 Likes on 337 Posts

Unfortunately they are just as you described. I couldn't bend the tabs far enough in with my hands dues to the limited space, so I used a screw driver. I was completely expecting to be ordering new lenses, but they came out ok. I've actually had them in and out a few times now (I replaced the standard bulbs with LED bulbs) and they seem to be pretty robust.

When you put them back in, make sure you have both sides clipped in to place. The lens itself is not attached to anything, so if it comes loose, it'll drop off and you'll be buying a new one (or two)

PS : You said bulbs....... are you sure you don't have another issue ? (It's rare to loose both bulbs at the same time) Once you have the lenses out you'll be able to check for voltage at the bulbs anyway.....

The following users liked this post:
cajag (09-23-2014)
Old 11-26-2012, 10:13 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,151 Likes on 753 Posts

When i bought my car, it had 49,000 miles roughly on it, and both bulbs were burned out on the license plate. My previous owner ALSO had the daytime running lights on, so they were on WAYYYY too much and probably fizzled out quickly. I was concerned too, but it was just the bulbs.

I too did LED, and will never have to replace them again.

Old 11-30-2012, 07:23 AM

One bulb was out for a while then the other one finally went out so I am fairly sure it is just bulbs. So I will take a screwdriver to it and pry like mad on the little tabs. Being 6'-3" and 225 lbs though makes being delicate somtimes a bit of a challenge.

On an unrelated question H2OBoy... Are all VDP'slong wheel base in the X350 era or not??

Old 11-30-2012, 10:49 AM
Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

One of my tag lights are out. I need to change it. Good thread for me. My xj has daytime running lights. I am dreading when I have to change the headlamps. I have fiddled around in there trying to just remove a bulb to try. Holy crap its cramped. They are not HID, but halogen. I have heard around the best way is to remove the bumper. LOL amazing design. lol.
O the tag light though. I also tried removing them with my fingers, using the tabs. No luck. I considered going through the back, removing the upholstery.

Old 11-30-2012, 11:17 PM
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Ok, I just order one tag light lens and two holders. I order the led tag lights bulbs went out to replace them and low behole both lights were out.I install the led lights and nothing. After pulling out the old owners manual and found the right fuse the fuse was blown F-18 if anyone was wondering. After looking back at the housing both tag light housing had gotten awfully hot. That being said, I ordered two holders and one lens. My understanding is when I placed the order that the socket and holder come together, I will wait and see on that one.

My plan now is to replace all side markers and tag lights with LEDs since they are cooler as in not as hot.

By the way I found out that my left front side marker light by the front bumper the inside also got corroded, and that is one complete unit from $27 that's the lens and the socket.

Has anyone else had any problems with the socket melting on tag lights or side marker lights. Or blown fuses or water getting in the side marker lights.

Old 12-01-2012, 10:05 AM
Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by vacmail
Ok, I just order one tag light lens and two holders. I order the led tag lights bulbs went out to replace them and low behole both lights were out.I install the led lights and nothing. After pulling out the old owners manual and found the right fuse the fuse was blown F-18 if anyone was wondering. After looking back at the housing both tag light housing had gotten awfully hot. That being said, I ordered two holders and one lens. My understanding is when I placed the order that the socket and holder come together, I will wait and see on that one.

My plan now is to replace all side markers and tag lights with LEDs since they are cooler as in not as hot.

By the way I found out that my left front side marker light by the front bumper the inside also got corroded, and that is one complete unit from $27 that's the lens and the socket.

Has anyone else had any problems with the socket melting on tag lights or side marker lights. Or blown fuses or water getting in the side marker lights.
my socket melted. I mended it to make it work.

Funny story.

So, yesterday, I mentioned dreading changing a headlight.
Last night guess what!

My passenger side low beam went out.

It took me 3 hours to change it. And the rumors are right. Basically, the whole front clip has to be disassembled to change it lol.

It was not fun AT ALL.

Overall, it has been the most intense job i've done on my xj.

I have completely rebuilt my suspension, and a headlight was 10X worse lol.

I can change all four struts in my car in about 1.5 hours, headlight 3 hours.

Amazing design I must say.

Just another way to secure money on Jag's end. Make a job too stupid so the owner must(typically) bring the car in to them for repair.

Well, the joke is on Jag I guess. They have only touched my car once. An emission recall. And in a week a TCM reflash.

Old 12-02-2012, 05:12 AM
Veteran member
Received 1,151 Likes on 753 Posts

While I had my bumper off (yes, did this myself too), I not only changed the dimly, uneven HID bulbs, I put in new eyelids and turns as well...just for good measure.

I put these LED bulbs in the turns...they're fantastic! Brighter than filament bulbs even (that's saying alot!!), and trust me...i've got LEDs in my xk8 in the turns and brakes, i'm a self-taught, self-proclaimed expert. Liked them so much, put them in the rear turns also.

Old 12-07-2012, 07:59 PM

Okay, the replacement front left side light came in today. I replaced it and inserted LED bulb, and then I commence to removing all my sidelights and installing LED lights. I'm guessing it may be because I run with my daylight lights on, but every last one of my sidelights just above the area where the bulb goes was melted . Not much, but enough to see is if it stayed on longer, I would have had some problems later on. Afterwards I did check and no errors was indicated from the bulbs being installed.

Here's the bulbs that I installed

LED W1 White 2X License Plate Tag Light Bulb T10 158 161 168 194 2825 3652 W5W K | eBay

The following users liked this post:
bondman07052 (12-08-2012)
Old 12-10-2012, 06:21 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Hello All, I'm new to the forum, lots of usefull informatiom!!
In relation to this thread, does anybody know what the part number is for the license plate lens (I have one missing). Also, do the LED license plate bulbs not cause a problem with the cars bulb failure indiactor? I would like to fit them but have always been a little wary.
Thanks,

Old 12-10-2012, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by Gino
Hello All, I'm new to the forum, lots of usefull informatiom!!
In relation to this thread, does anybody know what the part number is for the license plate lens (I have one missing). Also, do the LED license plate bulbs not cause a problem with the cars bulb failure indiactor? I would like to fit them but have always been a little wary.
Thanks,
That part # is C2C22834 cost you 26.25 from Gaudin, what i think is happening is the heat build up inside melts the holders and the inside of the housing is not too crazy about it either. I am not sure if the first owner force the lens off or what but if you to remove the lens, make SURE you get it back on there right or you will be buying another one. Don't ask, you already know how i found that out. Now the holder is only 6.25 but it looks like you will have to come in from back side. I will find out waiting on the other holder i only order one by mistake. And no errors with the leds that i put in.

Old 12-10-2012, 03:34 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks Vacmail, that's a great help.
All the best,
G.