XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Light switch problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2017, 05:02 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Light switch problem

Just bought a 2003 XJ8 and I'm might be having problems with the light switch.
The head lights turn on with the ignition and no matter what position I put the switch the lights stay on.
No matter what the position on the switch the high beam does not work (the "passing flash" does though).

Switch or programming problem??

Thanks

Old 05-22-2017, 05:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 306 Likes on 224 Posts

It's probably set up for DRLs, Daylight Running Lights; if it is then the dip beams and parking lights are on all the time with the ignition.

You can switch that option off using the 'Vehicle Settings' screen.

Not sure about the high beam not working 'though. That may indeed be a switch problem.

Old 05-22-2017, 05:27 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In Denmark DRL is mandatory.
But went to the drive in cinema and could not have the engine running without the lights turned on. So it was a bit cold :-)

Old 05-22-2017, 06:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 306 Likes on 224 Posts

Drive in ... Park brake applied and selector in 'Park' ... I think the DRLs should be off (if I read the Owner's book correctly - it isn't quite clear if the conditions are 'AND' or 'OR') so ... sounds like a lighting switch problem.

Last edited by Partick the Cat; 05-22-2017 at 06:49 AM.
The following users liked this post:
S-Type (05-22-2017)
Old 05-22-2017, 11:00 AM
Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

As mentioned, headlights staying on could be that DRL has been enabled or a potential broken wire in the turn signal stalk. But given the high beams are also not functioning correctly, the turn signal stalk would be the first place I would be looking. It is fairly common for wires to break within the base of the turn lever stalk. There is a thread on this forum that shows how to remove the stalk. 5 screws remove the steering column shroud, and then the stalk simply unclips and slides out. I had to go through this with my 04 VDP a couple months ago, and found one broken wire inside which I easily repaired. the trickiest part of the job is getting the cover off the base of the stalk.

S-Type (05-22-2017)
Old 05-22-2017, 01:46 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Both

Sounds like both is true:

Probably the light stalk has developed the well known defect: Lights turn off because of a broken wire inside.

The previous owner the activated via the nav screen the "daytime running light". Therefore you can't turn the light off and yet the stalk is still broken.

To check go into your setting menue on the main screen an deactivate drl. Then check whether main light can be switched on with light stalk.

If not: Stalks are cheap on fleabay, changing is a 2 minute plug-and-play excercise.

S-Type (05-22-2017)
Old 05-22-2017, 01:49 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like both is true:

Probably the light stalk has developed the well known defect: Lights turn off because of a broken wire inside.

The previous owner then activated the "daytime running light" via the nav screen. Therefore you can't turn the light off and yet the stalk is broken.

To check go into your setting menue on the main screen an deactivate drl. Then check whether main light can be switched on with light stalk.

If not: Stalks are cheap on fleabay, changing is a 2 minute plug-and-play excercise.

Old 05-22-2017, 10:14 PM
Received 216 Likes on 149 Posts

Your going to need a stalk either way for the main beam issue. Then address the DRL. I think when I had my car set for DRL, they came on when I put it in gear. I'll check mine and follow up.

Old 05-23-2017, 03:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,462 Likes on 1,956 Posts

These light switches on the steering binnacle on early cars seem to have been a lot of trouble, as I had to replace mine on my 2003 car. My symptom was one of the lights ocasionally flickering when on, and finally going off for about 2-3 seconds on a dark moonless night on a twisty road. Not good !!

Replacements aren't too expensive and an easy swap-out. My replacement was still on the car when I part-exed it for my current X358 last November. The XF also had the same switch, as did the S-Type I believe. Inside the switch are a lot of wires and a small circuit board.