XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Lights come on ignoring the position of the light switch

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2021, 09:22 PM
Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts
Default Lights come on ignoring the position of the light switch

2004 XJ8
when we start the car the dipped beam and all sidelights come on. It does not matter what position the lighting stalk is set to, off, side only, on, auto, or the delay options, the lights come on and stay on.
I have swapped the column stalk/switch with a known good/used one and cleaned contacts but that had no effect.
I guess relays are next?
Car is Californian, so not expecting issues with ground posts or corrosion.

Any other suggestions?
Luckily they do go off when the key is removed.

Old 05-30-2021, 09:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,067 Likes on 857 Posts

previous life in canada?

The following users liked this post:
cooldood (05-31-2021)
Old 05-31-2021, 12:12 AM

Oh, is there a Daytime Running Lights option in the dealer list, that the SSD can switch off and on?

Only had the car two weeks, but do not think it was doing this during test drives/inspection.

Other new item is the reverse warning seems to be failing too.

I think I will dig out the SSD tomorrow, read all the codes, reset them and see what comes back.

Old 05-31-2021, 06:21 AM
Received 87 Likes on 71 Posts

The reverse warning failure is not uncommon. The connections at each sensor, inside the rear bumper, can get a bit corroded. Cleaning the contacts off, or just unplugging and replugging them, can cure the problem. Or just a new sensor. Only difficulty is getting the rear bumper cover off and then back on. Doing that has been discussed in this forum several times.

cooldood (05-31-2021)
Old 05-31-2021, 08:23 PM
Received 278 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by cooldood
Oh, is there a Daytime Running Lights option in the dealer list, that the SSD can switch off and on?
If you've got the big Touch-Screen, it's in the vehicle settings.
Menu, System Setup, Vehicle Settings (just in the car)

cooldood (05-31-2021)
Old 05-31-2021, 10:11 PM
Received 187 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by ChrisMills
If you've got the big Touch-Screen, it's in the vehicle settings.
Menu, System Setup, Vehicle Settings (just in the car)
Hi
Just so, ChrisMills,

The test for Daytime Running Lights in operation is to check whether the headlights are only on in Drive and Reverse.
They should go off in Park and Neutral.
I have configured my DRLs to on, with a black car you need all the visibility to others you can get.
I have also just fitted some LED fog lights that have a separate 'angel eye' ring that is connected to the park / side light circuit.

Pete

Old 05-31-2021, 10:45 PM
Received 278 Likes on 214 Posts

Having failed a warrant due to a blown headlight, I decided to only use my Daytime Running Lights at night.
Let me re-read that

Old 06-01-2021, 01:59 PM

Do not have the big screen, but connected up the Mangoose this morning and sure enough Daytime Running Lights (DRL) option was enabled.

Also note the car has wiring on the windscreen, like it would heat the wiper blades in winter, maybe it was Canadian after all?

All sorted now. Took note of all codes and then told the system to wipe them. Will check again in a few days to see which come back.

Lights were indeed off when in park, but on in reverse and neutral and drive, slightly different from how Pete M described above.
SDD said we had the Canadian option selected, not Scandinavian DRL.

Last edited by cooldood; 06-01-2021 at 02:40 PM.
Old 06-01-2021, 03:08 PM

Lights were indeed off when in park, but on in reverse and neutral and drive, slightly different from how Pete M described above.
SDD said we had the Canadian option selected, not Scandinavian DRL.
Hi Cooldood,
That's interesting, my car is a Japan car and so has a market designator (VIN digit 4) of its own. There is ROW (Rest of World), Japan, USA, Canada, and Mexico market designators, but I think that certain markets such as Scandinavia are 'cold', though I haven't found the official list yet.
There are geographical groupings, so that
Rough Road Markets are Chile, Dominican Republic, Dubai, Egypt, Estonia, Israel, Jordan, Kuwait,
Lebanon, Malaysia, Mexico, Morocco, New Zealand, Oman, Panama, Philippines, Russia, Saudi, Arabia, South Africa, Sri Lanka, Syria, Thailand
European Markets are: UK, Ireland, Malta, Cyprus, Germany, Poland, Austria, Italy, France, Spain, Portugal, Belgium, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Switzerland, Sweden,
Denmark, Finland, Norway, Latvia, Lithuania, Estonia, Russia, Czech Republic, Hungary, Slovenia, Croatia, Slovakia, Greece, Bulgaria, Romania,
Serbia, Turkey, Israel
Hot Markets are: Taiwan, Singapore, Saudi Arabia, Indonesia, Philippines, Panama, Malaysia, Mexico, Egypt, Dominican Republic, Lebanon, Kuwait, Jordan,
Hong Kong, Bahrain, Dubai, Turkey, Argentina, Oman, Abu Dhabi, Brazil, Brunei, Chile, Cyprus, Greece, Guatemala, Israel, Korea, Malta, Morocco, Qatar,
Syria, Tenerife, Uruguay, Vietnam
Interestingly, some countries appear in both the rough road and hot categories. There must be further options for the electrically heated windscreen and the wiper blade heating pads on the windscreen. Some car makers have a 'cold country option list' but I haven't found that for the X350/8.

Pete

Old 06-01-2021, 03:40 PM
Veteran Member

all cars have a heated wiper park area.

if you have small fuzzy lines all over the glass you have the quickclear windshield

Old 06-01-2021, 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by xalty
all cars have a heated wiper park area.

if you have small fuzzy lines all over the glass you have the quickclear windshield
Hi Xalty
That's interesting. Whad do the heated wiper park areas look like? I assume you mean electrically heated, not just with warm air from the aircon.
I took a photo a while back that showed under a certain light, wavy lines in the glass. Does this mean I have a quickclear windshield? How to I activate it? I only have the large button for defrost which operates the rear screen heater, so I suppose that means I can't turn on the front electric demister.

Wavy lines in the glass

Old 06-01-2021, 08:14 PM
Veteran Member

yes that’s a quickclear windshield. wiper park heaters are in the black area, obvious copper colored lines. the F in the climate control unit should be there

give me the last 5 numbers in your VIN, after the G and i can decode it for you

Last edited by xalty; 06-01-2021 at 08:19 PM.
Old 06-01-2021, 08:49 PM

Okay, VIN decode confirms it is a USA car.
I guess we might have had aftermarket windscreens on the other cars, or I just did not notice the copper wires (hard to miss though).
I know we replaced the one on the XJR in our ownership after stone damage.

Old 06-01-2021, 09:09 PM
Veteran Member

Okay, VIN decode confirms it is a USA car.
I guess we might have had aftermarket windscreens on the other cars, or I just did not notice the copper wires (hard to miss though).
I know we replaced the one on the XJR in our ownership after stone damage.
most of them don’t have quickclears, only a heated park like this. it operates with the rear defroster

Last edited by xalty; 06-01-2021 at 09:38 PM.
Old 06-02-2021, 03:16 AM
Received 224 Likes on 148 Posts

2004 XJ8
when we start the car the dipped beam and all sidelights come on. It does not matter what position the lighting stalk is set to, off, side only, on, auto, or the delay options, the lights come on and stay on.
I have swapped the column stalk/switch with a known good/used one and cleaned contacts but that had no effect.
I guess relays are next?
Car is Californian, so not expecting issues with ground posts or corrosion.

Any other suggestions?
Luckily they do go off when the key is removed.
I have just posted this answer to another thread where the poster is having electrical problems, but have you renewed the three earth points behind the headlights?
There're are three of them, two on the right, one on the left comprising aluminum studs and even if they look ok they are often the cause of random electrical problems on all sorts of different systems due to corrosion.
Here is a link on another website which details how to deal with the problem;
https://www.jaguarforum.com/showthre...=86334&page=26
Go to post 259
This is a must do job anyway, cause if the earth points are not causing problems yet, they eventually will. Don't be fooled if they look OK.

cooldood (06-02-2021)