XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

lincoln owner looking to buy a XJ8 or XJR

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2014, 09:36 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default lincoln owner looking to buy a XJ8 or XJR

Hello everyone,
My name is Eric and I am new here. I currently own a 1997 Lincoln mark VIII with 210k miles. I have owned 3 of these bad boys and can say a lot of good and bad about them. I have always had a thing for the 04+ jaguar XJs and before I got my mark, I was looking into buying one. I have a daughter and need 2 extra doors. My question is, what "common" problems do I expect to see if I decide to get a XJ? I love my mark but lets admit it, she is a high maintenance woman. I was pushed away from jaguars with the same "European" car jibber jabber and high priced parts, but after owning three mark VIIIs, I am much open minded. Any help and guidance will be useful. Thanks in advance.

If anyone is from the southern California area, please let me know. I am a big fan of car meets

Old 11-05-2014, 11:03 PM
Received 132 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by chappy125
Hello everyone,
My name is Eric and I am new here. I currently own a 1997 Lincoln mark VIII with 210k miles. I have owned 3 of these bad boys and can say a lot of good and bad about them. I have always had a thing for the 04+ jaguar XJs and before I got my mark, I was looking into buying one. I have a daughter and need 2 extra doors. My question is, what "common" problems do I expect to see if I decide to get a XJ? I love my mark but lets admit it, she is a high maintenance woman. I was pushed away from jaguars with the same "European" car jibber jabber and high priced parts, but after owning three mark VIIIs, I am much open minded. Any help and guidance will be useful. Thanks in advance.

If anyone is from the southern California area, please let me know. I am a big fan of car meets
Hello Eric!
Try checking out the sticky https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...d-know-112913/ and if you have any other specific questions after going through it, I'm sure the forum would be VERY happy to help.

Also, you'll be a much happier camper here if you head over to the Intro section and just add a few lines. You don't need to go into depth until you feel comfortable enough to do so. Here's a link: New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Welcome to the forum and best of luck in your search.

I've had five Jags since March and am trying to find the "right " one for me... I think my current may be it, but I dunno just yet...

R,
Rags

The following users liked this post:
chappy125 (11-05-2014)
Old 11-05-2014, 11:49 PM

thanks! after reading that i feel more comfortable about buying a XJ. I am a "do it your self" kinda guy so labor cost dont scare me.

The following users liked this post:
ragman1171 (11-06-2014)
Old 11-06-2014, 05:24 PM
Received 150 Likes on 95 Posts
Default You will likely be VERY Happy with an X350

I owned Lincolns myself, In fact for years My favorite car memory was my second car at age 18, a Mark III Lincoln with a 460 4 bbl Carb and 365 HP - and (get this) 500 Lbs. of torque. But driving that car on a winding back road today? I don't think I would have the guts to - the steering had more free play than a flexible flyer in the snow!

The X350 is a completely modern car. Think of it as a 2014 XJ wearing the classic Jaguar design. When jaguar went retro with the X350, the biggest issue was a lot of people did not "see" it as the completely new car that it was. Folks would say: "Oh, is that the new one?"

Not only is the Aluminum body some 700 lbs lighter than a comparable Audi A8, consider: The body would weigh 60% more if made of steel. Consider also, the body weighs roughly what a Mini Cooper Body weighs. That will give you an idea of how significant the weight savings can be - along with all the performance and fuel efficiency gained. Also these early models benefited the most from the weight loss. Moving forward through the years weight has been added back in, and the new model is substantially heavier.

These cars have some issue, a few "achiles Heels" if you will, as all cars do, but over all they are very well engineered, and will amaze you with the blend of performance and luxury. Good luck to you - and do NOT let some folks scare you away. Part of the reason Used Jaguars are available at the prices they are is a common fact: People are afraid of used Jaguars. GOOD. They rest of us reap the rewards.

The following 2 users liked this post by Blairware:
chappy125 (11-07-2014), ragman1171 (11-06-2014)
Old 11-06-2014, 05:35 PM
Received 43 Likes on 30 Posts

Well at least as a Lincoln owner you should already familiar with air suspension and Arnott replacement units.

Old 11-07-2014, 08:39 AM

Interesting. Yeah my first car was also a lincoln. 1997 lincoln Mark VIII haha every car I have owned has been a Mark VIII. I really fell for the 04-08 XJ and got scared away and that is why I haven't looked at them since I got a mark, but about a month ago a buddy got a 98 XJL. He is a hard core lincoln fan and said there is no comparison between his mark and jag, the jag is better in almost every way.He also said the jag isn't any harder to work on, if anything its easier. One of the reasons the mark is so hard to work on is because ford designed the mark VIII/Thunder bird chassis to originaly have a V6. The mark has there 4.6 DOHC and that thing is huge. It makes the push rod 5.0 look tiny.

What gas milage are you getting? I average about 16.5 with 50/50 driving. And yes I am familiar with air ride, but you can replace the Marks air ride with all new componets for about 1k. Jags are alititle more haha. Thanks again guys. I wrote a dealer for a test drive. Just waiting for them to reply.

Old 11-07-2014, 08:42 AM

Aluminum has came a long ways. I didn't want a 5k lb car like many of the germans. That's also why I am looking at the jags x)