XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Linkage boot/seals cracked

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2010, 11:25 AM
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Linkage boot/seals cracked

I did a search of the forum for these keywords, but didn't find anything.

I had my 2004 XJ8 up on a lift this weekend, changing the oil. I did a visual of the underside while the oil was draining and noticed several of the bearing boots/seals were cracked and dried out. Obviously, time to get that fixed. My question is, is this a DIY job? If not, is it something a non-dealer-type shop could do, generally speaking? There are two independent repair shops here in San Antonio that claim to be skilled in Jaguar service. I'm trying to avoid the more expensive dealer labor fees, but I'll take it there if that's the best option.

Thanks for any help.

Mitch

Old 11-22-2010, 06:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 755 Likes on 633 Posts
Default Rubber seals

I know that it is possible to get rubber bellows for CV joints which are split ie you cut the old one off and wrap the new one around and seal it. I don't know how good they are. NO dismanltling!

Old 11-22-2010, 07:55 PM
Received 2,192 Likes on 1,358 Posts

Mitch youre too general, what parts are you talking about, rear toe links? front tie rods???What

Old 11-23-2010, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by Brutal
Mitch youre too general, what parts are you talking about, rear toe links? front tie rods???What
Brutal,

You're right, sorry about that.

The parts you mentioned are what I meant: rear toe links and tie rods, as well as ball joints. Many are torn and dried out. The ball joints aren't, but they feel, well, empty. I've never had a vehicle before with no grease fittings, so I'm not sure if that is normal.

It needs fixing, just not sure at what level (DIY, indie, or dealer) it can be fixed.

Old 11-23-2010, 11:20 AM
Received 2,192 Likes on 1,358 Posts

You can diy the front and rear tie rods, and links. Just be sure to get it aligned as soon as youre done. Ball joints let someone else do it. Make sure you get a 4 wheel alignment. Many cheaper places that charge $60 only set the front toe. You need front and rear done. On the rear links. They often crack and the boots completely go away along with the grease. But yet they exhibit no noise or get loose. Long story short is you are replacing for cosmetic reasons and not being wornout /exhibiting play. The front the samae way, these will wear out quickly once the seals are gone and joints dry. But really depends on you weather conditions and driving as to how long. If your like me, i like to maintain everything properly and would replce them all because i keep cars for decades not years

Old 11-23-2010, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by Brutal
You can diy the front and rear tie rods, and links. Just be sure to get it aligned as soon as youre done. Ball joints let someone else do it. Make sure you get a 4 wheel alignment. Many cheaper places that charge $60 only set the front toe. You need front and rear done. On the rear links. They often crack and the boots completely go away along with the grease. But yet they exhibit no noise or get loose. Long story short is you are replacing for cosmetic reasons and not being wornout /exhibiting play. The front the samae way, these will wear out quickly once the seals are gone and joints dry. But really depends on you weather conditions and driving as to how long. If your like me, i like to maintain everything properly and would replce them all because i keep cars for decades not years
Thank you very much for the info and advice. I've got the same habit of keeping cars for as long as possible.