XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Locking and valet issue.

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2020, 04:18 AM
Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Locking and valet issue.

I have had my X350 a couple of weeks now and when time allows am sorting out some gremlins but I can't seem to find the info I need so far.

The car seems to be stuck in valet mode, the glove box has been forced open but when the button is pressed valet mode shows on the display. The key that I got with the car (aside from the valet key) was given with a flat battery, I suspect it doesn't work at all as I replaced the battery to no joy.
I also purchased a separate key fob (genuine) to try to reprogram but I can't seem to enter the program mode anyway, I suspect this is due to being stuck in valet mode.
Opening the doors with the main key only opens the drivers door (none of the buttons work) and the boot (trunk) has to be opened with the key also, the remote button on the dash doesn't work.
So, any ideas firstly on how to turn off valet mode and then program the keys would be very gratefully received.
Everything operates as far as the ignition and locking goes although there are some issues there as well but it would be nice to have it all working correctluy.
Thanks

Old 08-16-2020, 03:39 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a similar set of issues, and it all resolved when I replaced my battery. It seemed okay, but was just weak enough to cause a host of gremlins. All was 100% when the new battery was installed and the system was rebooted.

The following users liked this post:
Richardhw (08-18-2020)
Old 08-16-2020, 06:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 768 Likes on 642 Posts

Normally when the vehicle is in valet mode locking and unlocking doors with the key

will move it out of valet mode.

You could try having your battery load tested but not with the hand held

device that some people use.

With the battery disconnected you could also try touching the disconnected

leads together. to 'reboot' the vehicle.

Having the Jag scanned by a Jaguar independent mechanic my indicate clues to where the fault lies.

Richardhw (08-18-2020)
Old 08-17-2020, 08:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 801 Likes on 673 Posts

Valet keys are a little shorter than the regular keys are.
Could this be the source your issue ?

Richardhw (08-18-2020)
Old 08-17-2020, 10:02 AM
Received 107 Likes on 73 Posts

Dear Richard,

Your key has two functional components. The front part has the metal Tibbe key that allows you to turn the locks, and an RFID security chip that is read by the car when you place the key in the ignition. If you can start and drive the car then this front part of the key is correct for the car. (I'm assuming that you are certain that the front part of the key you are using is NOT the valet key) If you replace the front part of the key, Programming the new one requires access to a high level scan and programming tool such as the dealer or a high end independent mechanic or locksmith might have. (I wound up at the dealer to get my new keys programmed) The back part of the key holds the buttons, and the radio transmitter for remote locking. This part supposedly can be programmed without a scan tool but I have never tried it. The key programming procedure (multiple versions of it actually) is on this forum.

My advice is to make sure the main car battery is at 12.6V or higher. If the battery is not in excellent shape this will cause all kinds of nonsense so you need to check this in any case. Then make sure the key battery is good (you said it was new I believe). Then see if you can get the remote locking to work by re-programming the fob. Try all the different versions of the procedure as sometimes these things require a bit of determination. Frankly I don't understand why opening the drivers door and starting the car with the correct key isn't clearing valet mode but maybe getting the remote lock working will clear it up.

Good Luck
Jeff

BTW, the 2 new keys I bought from Amazon, once cut and programmed by the dealer have been working flawlessly for more than a year.

The following 2 users liked this post by JCalhoun:
Partick the Cat (08-17-2020), Richardhw (08-18-2020)
Old 08-18-2020, 06:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 768 Likes on 642 Posts

BTW Check that the flap in the ignition lock closes properly

Richardhw (08-18-2020)
Old 08-18-2020, 07:17 PM

Thanks guys and sorry for the delay in replying, ( work gets in the way !), the battery, while I have not checked the voltage yet appears to be brand new, I don't think it is the correct one as there is a lot of spare space in the battery tray but never the less starts the car just fine even with the lights on it seems adequate, I will at some point put the correct one in but unless it shows to be lacking at all it will do for now.
The key, Yes I have the valet key as well so there is no confusion there, also I am aware that the key separates and have replaced the batteries in both of the remotes I now have, However, I can't access the reprogram mode, which as I said I believe to be locked due to the valet mode being active. I have tried removing the lock fuse as suggested elsewhere to remove the valet mode but this didn't work either so I am still stuck with a perfectly usable car with an annoying lock issue !
On the bright side, the car is booked in for a major service next week so I will ask the mechanics advice on the problems I have, he is very highly rated so with luck may have a suggestion or two.

Old 08-19-2020, 12:45 AM
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

If the car is in Valet mode you need to cancel this setting by pressing the key transmitter unlock button. The valet key is green.

Old 08-19-2020, 01:11 AM

Thank you but I know this, they don't work, thats one of the problems !!

Old 08-20-2020, 12:35 PM
Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Key issues and car battery

A battery on a Jaguar does more than just start the car! Unless you have a several decades old XJ, you have a number of computers on board. Even turn signals on Jags are now computer controlled! Any chain auto parts store can check your battery for you usually free. They can also check to see if your vehicle is getting the required voltage needs while it’s running. (If tested in the car, like by NAPA. Advance Auto only tests in-store.)

Richardhw (08-20-2020)