XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Looking for interesting Car Rental in UK

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2019, 08:29 AM
Received 100 Likes on 68 Posts
Default Looking for interesting Car Rental in UK

We will be travelling in UK for 2 weeks in September. We drive from Heathrow to the Goodwood Revival and plan to drive up the middle of England to Glasgow and then back to London. (Stopping for a tour of the Jaguar plant at Castle Bromwich of course). I would guess about 1400 miles max. Do any of our UK friends on the forum have suggestions for hiring a car that is a little out of the ordinary but still reasonable? We are 2 people and travel light so small cars are fine and manual trans is fine but we need to be mindful of the long distances to be covered. I would love to drive something that we CAN'T get in US. Our budget including insurance for the car itself is about $45 per day.

Thanks in advance for any ideas.
Jeff

Old 07-30-2019, 10:49 AM
Received 95 Likes on 85 Posts

Do they have Turo in the UK or something like that? Drive civilian's spare cars while you're traveling?

Old 07-31-2019, 05:11 AM
Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

$45 per day including insurance isn't likely to get you anything 'interesting I'm afraid.

Sixt run television adverts featuring their 'interesting' vehicles available - but $45 won't go far:

https://www.sixt.co.uk

Mainstream rentals will include brands you aren't familiar with, but aren't in themselves the least bit interesting:
Škoda & SEAT - Audi/VW clones. Get a small diesel Škoda and try to beat 60mpg. Otherwise boring
Vauxhall - boring
Peugeot - boring
Renault - just DON'T!

PLEASE ensure you learn the rules of the road with respect to motorways and roundabouts!

Having worked for a US oilco for many years our first-time US visitors either terrified themselves or us when they were let loose with hire cars!

Old 07-31-2019, 10:41 AM
Received 100 Likes on 68 Posts

Thanks "rtcosic" for your suggestions. I wish any of the rental agencies would promise you a particular type of car, but they always say "or similar" which could mean anything. Sixt charges more than $2 per day to "guarantee" that you get a diesel which makes the calculations even more complicated. At any rate your fuel of either type is about double what we pay in US so we got to plan for that! 60mpg would be ideal lol. I guess it's down to luck of the draw and possibly clever negotiations at the counter.

Also, don't worry too much about our driving on the left. I've survived many trips to UK and SA and my husband is from Singapore so he can't wait to get back on the "proper" side of the road.

Jeff