XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Looks like a crack in the radiator plastic header

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2015, 01:29 AM
Received 46 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Looks like a crack in the radiator plastic header

So, I've got a coolant leak; I replaced all hoses a year or so ago. There appears to be coolant slowing dripping at the bottom (not too warm and idling). It may be near the radiator return hose (but not the hose). Anyway, I need to re-check it when it is hot, but assuming it is the radiator, has anyone replaced an X350 radiator? Any suggestions on where to get one?

Assistance/suggestions appreciated. It seems to be getting worse fast. I had the same problem with a Ford Expedition (plastic ends cracked) and had to replace it. I'm hoping the x350 will be as easy as the Expedition.

Thanks,

Gordon

Old 07-22-2015, 04:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 737 Likes on 465 Posts

If the issue is with the coolant reservoir overflow line just have it replaced.
If the issue is elsewhere you can repair the plastic using plastic welding on the crack

Clean up the area (remove and dirt and grease)
Fill the crack with superglue
Apply baking soda over the superglue
Check for leaks and repeat if needed

The baking soda causes the superglue to go instantly hard but also give off a lot of heat for a very short time fusing the plastics. The end result is hard enough to sand
I have repaired plastic radiator side tanks this way before but also repaired a smashed mirror housing the same way. After sanding you would not know it was ever broken

Cheers
34by151

The following users liked this post:
slmskrs (07-22-2015)
Old 07-22-2015, 08:55 PM
Received 165 Likes on 104 Posts

I had the seal bust on the side plastic tanks on the radiator.
I installed a new radiator I got at a decent price.
See link:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj-xj6-xj8-xjr-x350-x358-28/radiator-question-104471/

The following users liked this post:
slmskrs (07-22-2015)
Old 07-22-2015, 11:22 PM

This is the bottom of the right side of the radiator, viewed from just behind and to the right of it. I caught a drip of coolant. Nothing dripping from the outside. Nothing wrong with the return hose (directly above this at the top.

I've tried epoxying a cracked / leaking radiator on a Ford Expedition (didn't try the super glue/baking soda method) and never could seal it completely, so replaced that radiator (not too hard). On the X350 I replaced all hoses (including the nasty one under the intake manifold), as well as the thermostat, thermostat manifold, water pump, etc. a year or so ago and I see no evidence of any of that stuff leaking at this point. The only thing that hasn't been changed in the cooling system is the radiator. Wouldn't have expected it to go out at 102k

Old 07-23-2015, 01:04 AM

Originally Posted by BlackKat
I had the seal bust on the side plastic tanks on the radiator.
I installed a new radiator I got at a decent price.
See link:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...estion-104471/
Thanks for the write up and link (and info on purchase options). I'm surprised at all of the bolts; the Expedtion had two. I don't have an R so no intercooler. Will that make it easier to access bolts, etc.?

Old 07-23-2015, 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by 34by151
If the issue is with the coolant reservoir overflow line just have it replaced.
34by151
I see that the overflow resevoir seems to be a failure point based on threads, but I didn't feel any moisture on the bottom where I could reach. What usually fails on them? Do they crack somewhere, or does a hose nipple break? If it is a crack, I'll look more closely to see if I can find something and confirm it is leaking down onto the side of the radiator. If not, I suspect it is the radiator...

Old 07-23-2015, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by slmskrs
On the X350 I replaced all hoses (including the nasty one under the intake manifold), as well as the thermostat, thermostat manifold, water pump, etc. a year or so ago and I see no evidence of any of that stuff leaking at this point. The only thing that hasn't been changed in the cooling system is the radiator. Wouldn't have expected it to go out at 102k
Correction, the only things that haven't been replaced is the expansion tank and the radiator.

Old 07-23-2015, 03:32 PM
Veteran Member

I've tried epoxying a cracked / leaking radiator on a Ford Expedition (didn't try the super glue/baking soda method) and never could seal it completely, so replaced that radiator (not too hard).
Epoxy and the like wont work as they are all a surface filler.
A seal relies on bonding to the outside but the crack still exists and expands eventually pushing off the filler material

Superglue/Baking Soda is is fusing the plastic removing the crack all together.
In other words the plastic itself is the bond the glue is used as the heat source

I not sure from you pic if the leak is in the plastic or running down the side of it but you need to get the radiator out to fix it. In either case the radiator needs to be welded up (Tig if its the alloy, Plastic weld for the plastic)

If you don't repair your only other option is replace

Cheers
34by151

Old 07-24-2015, 12:28 AM

Originally Posted by 34by151
Superglue/Baking Soda is is fusing the plastic removing the crack all together.
In other words the plastic itself is the bond the glue is used as the heat source
34by151
So, I looked again and it appears there is a crack around the thermostat return hose from the top of the radiator. I don't know if that is the only place; it seems there is a crack on the side and then it either runs under the return tube, or there might be another crack there.

I'm going to pull the hose, clean the area really well, and try the super glue/baking soda method (since I don't want to pull the radiator out--if I have to pull it, I'd rather just put in a new one).

So, do you "sprinkle" the baking soda on the super glue, or somehow dump it on? In my case (since I'm not going to pull it but will do it on the car), the crack will be vertical, not horizontal, so I'll be sprinkling the baking soda or really just dumping it down hoping it gets on the super glue. Do I need a lot? And since some of the super glue will "run", when the baking soda hits it, will it cause any damage to areas without cracks?

Thanks,

Old 07-24-2015, 03:36 AM
Veteran Member

Just pour in the supeglue and add heaps of baking soda

I have seen others do it the other way around adding the baking soda first then applying the glue

Here is a decent video on the process

Cheers
34by151

The following 3 users liked this post by 34by151:
Growl-R (07-25-2015), rosskuhns (08-03-2015), Sean W (07-24-2015)
Old 07-24-2015, 10:18 AM
Received 224 Likes on 125 Posts

Well I learnt something new today.

Old 07-29-2015, 10:30 PM
Received 189 Likes on 123 Posts

Amen Trosty, me too. I guess your never to old ---as the saying goes---

Old 07-30-2015, 10:00 PM
Received 165 Likes on 104 Posts

Thanks for the write up and link (and info on purchase options). I'm surprised at all of the bolts; the Expedtion had two. I don't have an R so no intercooler. Will that make it easier to access bolts, etc.?
It will be slightly easier without the intercooler. All in all not a too hard job. Btw, mine went out at the same mileage too.

Old 07-31-2015, 12:04 AM

Originally Posted by BlackKat
It will be slightly easier without the intercooler. All in all not a too hard job. Btw, mine went out at the same mileage too.
Hey BlackKat,

I'm going to start a new thread called, "HELP!! I can't get my radiator out". When I look at your picture below, it appears that the "pipes/tubes that go to your AC condenser have much more clearance than mine (maybe because of your intercooler). The clearance in the oval between your radiator and the AC pipe is big enough that I can see how you can get the lower hose bib through that clearance.
Looks like a crack in the radiator plastic header-screen-shot-2015-07-30-9.53.02-pm.png

I'll post pictures of mine in the other thread, but there is no physical way there's enough clearance to pull the radiator up through the U shaped AC tubes to pull it out. 10pm and I'm stuck. There's got to be a trick, but I sure don't see it..... I hate working on cars to fix them; I like working on them to improve them......Gonna have to borrow my daughter's Rav4 to go to work tomorrow....

Gordon