XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Lost key. Now what?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2016, 06:08 PM
Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts
Angry Lost key. Now what?

Returned from a trip Sunday night, and come Monday morning, my only key is missing. I've never lost a car key before, but this is the only one that came with the car, so if it doesn't turn up, how bad is it? Does the car have to be flatbed transported to the dealer for replacements and programming? I had ordered a second one from an E-bay seller, but it isn't here yet. If I have to haul the whole car 75 miles to solve this issue, I may wait till a second one can be bought from the same guy before I call the transporter.

Old 11-16-2016, 06:49 PM
Received 165 Likes on 104 Posts

You'll have to get new keys made and programed to the car by dealer. Talk to your local jaguar independent first they may have a hookup at the dealer for a better cost. I had to do the exact same thing and saved hundreds through my independent. You will have to have it towed.
Just as an FYI I to bought keys from ebay to be cut by were useless because they were too wide to be cut properly.

The following users liked this post:
PeteK812 (11-19-2016)
Old 11-16-2016, 06:50 PM
Received 8,146 Likes on 4,914 Posts

This is exactly why I tell my customers to have more than one key.
It does not matter if it costs a few hundred dollars to get additional keys when you are stuck somewhere and a tow truck and dealer are likely your only options.

You will need to get TWO keys. The MINIMUM number of keys for configuring is TWO.
You cannot enter ONE in the computer during configuration. The number must be TWO to FIVE.

You will need to find a high end locksmith or someone with the proper diagnostic device to configure the keys once they are cut.

The dealer can do this but it will cost.

bob

P.S.
If you bring me the car and 2 cut keys, I'll configure them to your car for a case of beer!!! (even cheap beer). I have a few Jaguar WDS's and an IDS.
But I am probably 1000 miles away.

Last edited by motorcarman; 11-16-2016 at 06:56 PM.
PeteK812 (11-19-2016)
Old 11-16-2016, 08:37 PM

Well, that answers the question, gotta have it towed. My E-bay key would have been #2, but not if I can't find #1. Thanks for the true sit-rep.

PK

Old 11-16-2016, 08:41 PM

BTW, motorcarman, this is my second sedan that was originally from Texas, which gives me a nice rust-free car, but also my second without heated seats. Doesn't it get cold at night in December, even in Texas? Even with a garage, cold seats on a cool morning just doesn't seem like luxury, even south of the Mason Dixon Line.

Old 11-16-2016, 09:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 203 Posts

bob

P.S.
If you bring me the car and 2 cut keys, I'll configure them to your car for a case of beer!!! (even cheap beer). I have a few Jaguar WDS's and an IDS.
But I am probably 1000 miles away.[/QUOTE]

Bob,
I can run up from Houston. I only have one key and remote. Where can I get 2 keys and remotes? I need to go to the dealer, tried calling to make an appointment. Left several messages and have not gotten a return call for ordering a key and having it cut and coded.
May need to go in person but they gave me the "talk to service department" when calling.

George

PeteK812 (11-19-2016)
Old 11-17-2016, 06:36 AM
Box
Veteran Member
Received 643 Likes on 416 Posts

You can get a replacement primary key from Terry's Jaguar. You'll need to provide proof of ownership, and they can cut you a Tibbe key using information from Jaguar. You'll still need to purchase a remote fob. A valet key is also not a bad idea. My experience in my local market with 4 locksmiths and local dealer, was that not one of them could properly cut depth and angles on a Tibbe. I called Terry's, and emailed them a scan of my title and insurance, and they made an accurate primary, first time out of the chute.

I know this doesn't help the OP, however, if you have two working transponder keys, you can program a third or more (up to 8) without using SDD or dealer. Fobs can be programmed at any time without SDD or dealer. (up to 5) If you have no working keys, it will require SDD to accept transponder keys.

Attached Files

Last edited by Box; 11-17-2016 at 06:56 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Box:
jackra_1 (11-18-2016), paydase (11-17-2016), PeteK812 (11-19-2016)
Old 11-18-2016, 09:17 AM
Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts
Default New Key

And figure $500.00 at the dealer for the key-which comes from Jaguar precut using your serial number and programming at the dealer.Also took 4 days for the dealer to order and receive the key. Not cheap but worth it knowing I have that second key. Cary

PeteK812 (11-19-2016)
Old 11-18-2016, 01:12 PM
Box
Veteran Member
Received 643 Likes on 416 Posts

Originally Posted by NEO Cat
And figure $500.00 at the dealer for the key-which comes from Jaguar precut using your serial number and programming at the dealer.Also took 4 days for the dealer to order and receive the key. Not cheap but worth it knowing I have that second key. Cary
I purchased mine (true Jaguar part, primary w/transponder) from Terry's Jaguar for around $125 shipped. I purchased fobs from Ebay for $40. (aftermarket)

http://www.terrysjag.com/product/C2S31067.html

A $40.00 cutting fee
is included in the above price.
Keys CAN NOT be sold uncut.

Last edited by Box; 11-18-2016 at 01:18 PM.
PeteK812 (11-19-2016)
Old 11-20-2016, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by Panelhead
bob

P.S.
But I am probably 1000 miles away.
Bob,
I can run up from Houston. I only have one key and remote. Where can I get 2 keys and remotes? I need to go to the dealer, tried calling to make an appointment. Left several messages and have not gotten a return call for ordering a key and having it cut and coded.
May need to go in person but they gave me the "talk to service department" when calling.

George[/QUOTE]

I can't cut keys, but I can configure them to your car. Houston is quite a drive (over 300 Miles) but if your in the mood to drive North...............

bob

Old 11-22-2016, 11:04 AM
Veteran Member

I read the Key Fob facts and tried to contact www.rocketkeys to order two blanks. They must no longer be in business.
The fact sheet helped a lot. I now know the key code is 4-3-2-1-4-1. Ordered two OEM used fobs (working supposedly) to get programmed. Wish I had a second key to allow doing myself.
Is there another source besides the dealer for blanks? Nine on eBay look like the correct version.

Old 11-23-2016, 12:15 PM
Veteran Member

Bit the bullet and purchased from Terry's Jag. 130.00 feels high for the key. But have a spare is good. Now to find someone to code the fob.

Old 11-23-2016, 12:52 PM
Default Good thing I love my pets

I looked for that key for a week before I started calling around for flatbed price quotes, but my wife kept saying" it has to be here, probably within 10 ft of where you put it down", so when she started searching, found it within 30 minutes by looking under the dog crate. Looks as though one of the cats knocked it off the phone stand and then whacked it under the dog crate, lost interest, and never went back to it. I didn't know there WAS a space under the dog crate, but there it was.

Now I've made an appointment with Tom Wood Jaguar in Indianapolis to have my second key cut and programmed. I got the key, with fob, on Ebay, great price, but I'll know next week if it is a full sucess or not. Their parts department has the correct key in stock if I need to get one, parts price is $125 for key without fob, which I would probably buy as a spare 3rd key.

I called a tow company in Martinsville that carried me home when my 94 VDP had a flameout rear wheel bearing failure on the highway very near his place, and was disappointed to discover that the original owner was no longer active in the business, since I enjoyed the trip and found him to be a kindred spirit. The new guy I talked to said they charge from leaving their home base until drop point so the 30 miles to my house to get the car would really jack up the price. I explained that his location meant a deadhead of 30 miles less after drop-off than anyone in my home town would have, but that didn't seem to make any sense to him, so I left him to his own neighborhood work. Seems to me that 75 miles one way is the same, no matter how it's sliced, and that a customer who wanted to spend $350 was worth considering, compared to waiting for the phone to ring. Silly me.

Full report on new key results by Wed. week.

Peace, Out

Old 11-23-2016, 01:19 PM
Veteran Member

I hope you have better luck with the eBay key than I did for my Audi A8. One of the smart keys was falling apart. Ordered a knockoff smart on eBay and took to dealer. They hustled me right out saying they only program keys they sell.
Took to a very high quality locksmith and he could not duplicate the key. Tried for 20 minutes and his machine kept rejecting it. Sent me on no charge.
Looked at it closely and the knockoff key was a little different than original.
Went back to dealer, ordered the factory key and fob. Once in from Germany took car, all three remotes and valet key and they programmed they all. Compared to Jag a bargain. 300.00 total for a key that unlocks doors by proximity, keyless push button start, and can operate the windows.

Old 11-25-2016, 05:01 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PeteK812
Returned from a trip Sunday night, and come Monday morning, my only key is missing. I've never lost a car key before, but this is the only one that came with the car, so if it doesn't turn up, how bad is it? Does the car have to be flatbed transported to the dealer for replacements and programming? I had ordered a second one from an E-bay seller, but it isn't here yet. If I have to haul the whole car 75 miles to solve this issue, I may wait till a second one can be bought from the same guy before I call the transporter.
Hey PeteK812, check this guy out on ebay (bbblocks) he sells good keys, I got two keys for my jag from him and it can be programmable from jaguar, i tuke the keys the dealer and had them cut for me I didnt take the car, I paid 23.50 for two sets of keys. I paid the dealer $179 plus tax each
to have them cut and programmed.

Old 11-26-2016, 12:08 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Overhead console switches and other musings of a new owner.

I'm in Houston, so would like to meet anyone with knowledge of 20014 XJ8 VP. I bought at auction without keys etc. Found a great locksmith who cut me keys and I bought fobs on EBay which I have yet to program. Jag dealer wanted $1000 as a minimum and there were other hoops to jump through if I remember.
If anyone in Houston and area is selling parts let me know. I need a few things.
I was hoping to keep this car for the missus as she runs the BABC which ia a British American trade and networking organization and she loved British stuff.
But to tell the truth this vehicle seems over engineered.
My 2000 Toyota Tundra and '96 Lexus run better.
Some switches on the overhead console are loose and no longer work, and it seems I may have to buy a complete console to fix this.
I'd be interested if others have 02 sensor and cat issues. This could be a $1000 fix, when quite frankly car is worth maybe $5K. I read on this forum of people who absolutely love this beast. So I am trying really hard to do likewise because it looks so beautiful.

Old 11-26-2016, 12:14 AM

Sorry. I should have mentioned the reason for my post was to offer my experience of getting new keys cut. I thought I was in the overhead console secyion. This is my first post and I couldn't find a way to edit my post. Oh and my car is a 2004 not 20014.

Old 11-26-2016, 08:43 AM
Veteran Member

I am in Houston also. My luck with two dealers was worse. Parts told me to schedule an appointment with service department to get key. Would not return my repeated calls to order a key and have it programmed.
Waiting for a cut key to arrive. Will look for someone to program the eBay used fobs. For my knowledge who did you get to cut the blanks?

I know a good shop that has worked on a lot of Jaguars. The owner should be able to program or know another indie who can.

Old 11-26-2016, 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by Brit57
If anyone in Houston and area is selling parts let me know. I need a few things.
I was hoping to keep this car for the missus as she runs the BABC which ia a British American trade and networking organization and she loved British stuff.

Some switches on the overhead console are loose and no longer work, and it seems I may have to buy a complete console to fix this.
The overhead console is color coded to the interior so you might need the trim code to get the correct one. I think there are 2 different colors (Oatmeal or Nimbus Grey) for the console, sunvisors, headliner.

I think the spare overhead console I have is Oatmeal.

bob

Old 11-27-2016, 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by Panelhead
I am in Houston also. My luck with two dealers was worse. Parts told me to schedule an appointment with service department to get key. Would not return my repeated calls to order a key and have it programmed.
Waiting for a cut key to arrive. Will look for someone to program the eBay used fobs. For my knowledge who did you get to cut the blanks?

I know a good shop that has worked on a lot of Jaguars. The owner should be able to program or know another indie who can.
Santiago. Locksmith. 2814255182Good lad. very helpful. I paid him $300 for 2 cut keys. He actually wanted less, but I was grateful. Have you noticed what a scumbag profession this is?

The instructions for programming the fob is on internet. The transponder in the jag blank was programmed to work by the locksmith I think.
Although cannot remember. I DO remember I had to get the right FCC code to buy the correct blank.
My Tel 2817018449
So far Jag dealerships parts dept have been worse than useless. I remember I started to call Dallas dealerships to get an answer because the ones here sucked.

Last edited by Brit57; 11-27-2016 at 04:28 PM.