XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Lost key. Now what?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2016, 04:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by motorcarman
The overhead console is color coded to the interior so you might need the trim code to get the correct one. I think there are 2 different colors (Oatmeal or Nimbus Grey) for the console, sunvisors, headliner.

I think the spare overhead console I have is Oatmeal.

bob
Thanks Motorcar man. Thats so funny that you actually have a spare. Mine is grey. At this point I may consider a different color. Obviously I'm still hopeful I can change the individual switches or add a spring if that is what is required. But to do this I need to open the thing. Someone on another board gave instructions on how to break open so am considering. If this fails, how much do you want for yours?

Old 11-28-2016, 08:56 PM
Received 8,179 Likes on 4,934 Posts

Originally Posted by Brit57
Thanks Motorcar man. Thats so funny that you actually have a spare. Mine is grey. At this point I may consider a different color. Obviously I'm still hopeful I can change the individual switches or add a spring if that is what is required. But to do this I need to open the thing. Someone on another board gave instructions on how to break open so am considering. If this fails, how much do you want for yours?
I'm thinking you could transfer all the bits to the Nimbus Grey housing.
With 2 different overhead consoles you should be able to get it working.

I have a 3 ring binder with the info I got from NEW PRODUCT 2004 (NP04) Jaguar Training and it has accessing interior trim items but it a paper document.

There should be repair info in JTIS for removal of overhead console.
It snaps into place with steel clips so removal is not difficult.

Take it apart to see if it can be repaired.

bob

Old 11-29-2016, 12:46 PM
Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts
Default No love here, yet

Tom Wood Jaguar in Indy won't cut a brought-in key, so bad Karma on that score. They claim liability issues prevent.

Next step is to see if the "Outside" key can be programmed with the others, so if cut, would work. Possibility of the fob half being able to be programmed correctly, then key and chip half replaced with new.

More news as it develops.

Old 12-03-2016, 11:49 AM
Received 189 Likes on 123 Posts

peteK812,
It won't help now---like putting the cart before the horse,--- but go to: "the trackR.com" and solve [your loosing you keys or car or what ever] from now own. Works like a charm----almost looks like one too.

Cheers

PS: must put the word "the" in the URL.

Old 12-04-2016, 08:09 AM
Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

So, here's the answers, so far. Almost finished. $300 for 2 more keys, one is the key half of switchblade, and the other is a basic key with no remote entry. The Ebay key is programmed, but not cut, and the remote entry half won't program or operate. Mechanic reports the circuit board is corroded inside, can't be repaired. I have emailed key fob seller with bad news, will report back soon. I hope to get a functional replacement, but what if this was his only one?

Old 02-20-2020, 09:00 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Without the master key, you must reprogram the ECU. You can go to the dealer to get a new key to enter the car, but the key will not start the car and the remote control will not work. Dealers will not reprogram and program computers that will be replaced with new "original" units, which is why it is much cheaper to reprogram existing ECUs. Besides, in order to prevent losing again, you better prepare a key or wallet locator.

The following users liked this post:
annaim (02-22-2020)
Old 02-21-2020, 03:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 306 Likes on 224 Posts

You do realise that you've just replied to post made over three years ago ...

Old 02-22-2020, 10:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cacaroline
Without the master key, you must reprogram the ECU. You can go to the dealer to get a new key to enter the car, but the key will not start the car and the remote control will not work. Dealers will not reprogram and program computers that will be replaced with new "original" units, which is why it is much cheaper to reprogram existing ECUs. Besides, in order to prevent losing again, you better prepare a key or wallet locator.
Thanks. Got rid of that endless money pit. So relieved.