XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Love My Jag, But ...

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2016 | 05:01 PM
|
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Love My Jag, But ...

My 2006 XJ8 is the first Jag I have ever owned and I love this car! It has so spoiled me that driving another car just feels ... meh (at best)! However, having said that, there are a few things that are underwhelming about my Jag and I wonder if there are any solutions/alternatives.

My Jag as the screen to display nav, audio, etc. While this is certainly nice and I like having it, the screen feels a bit ... archaic. The muted colors, the lower resolution screen, etc. Is there some sort of upgrade available for this entire system? Frankly, the nav system is a pain to use, particularly when inputting an address (you click a letter, wait for it to register, click the next, etc. ... and the way you have to do it ... street name first, select correct city, then enter the address number)).

Frankly, is there an upgrade for this entire center console area? The CD/radio is a tad archaic, too (being 10 years old). I would love to simply play MP3s without losing the quality via a radio tuner device. And the audio section does not display radio stations correctly. When you store a new station so you can select it by tapping one of the on-screen buttons, the button does not usually display the radio name, but usually a part of the name of the song that was last played when last selected or some other odd piece of text. This means I just have to remember the position of the button for each station I store.

I doubt there is much that can be done, but I thought I would ask any way.

Thanks.

Old 05-03-2016 | 05:06 PM
Received 224 Likes on 125 Posts

If you use a smart phone there is the BTDongle add on.
I rarely use the inbuilt sat nav and use Waze app on my iphone for all driving maps and The Bt dongle allows me to use Siri and stream my own music through the aging Jag system.

Old 05-03-2016 | 05:10 PM
|

Yeah, I use my Android phone for GPS as well. The Bluetooth hookup is good enough to allow my phone to talk to me through the Jag's speakers. So, that's all good. I just like the idea of the nav being right there on that screen.

I'll look into the BTDongle add on, though. Thanks.

Old 05-03-2016 | 05:14 PM
|

How are you streaming music via the BT Dongle and the Jag? Sorry for my ignorance here. I am using an Android based phone (LG G2).

Old 05-03-2016 | 06:34 PM
Received 230 Likes on 149 Posts

One of the board members Veffremov has developd a Bluetooth solution that many members use with great results, me included . You can learn more about it here and you can contact Veffremov if you have questions or want to buy one.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/a...vs-kit-137906/

The following users liked this post:
veffremov (05-04-2016)
Old 08-23-2016 | 03:00 AM
Received 118 Likes on 54 Posts

There is a thin double din CarPlay enabled Alpine system I believe for $599 which I will for sure get

Originally Posted by silversurfer1221
My 2006 XJ8 is the first Jag I have ever owned and I love this car! It has so spoiled me that driving another car just feels ... meh (at best)! However, having said that, there are a few things that are underwhelming about my Jag and I wonder if there are any solutions/alternatives.

My Jag as the screen to display nav, audio, etc. While this is certainly nice and I like having it, the screen feels a bit ... archaic. The muted colors, the lower resolution screen, etc. Is there some sort of upgrade available for this entire system? Frankly, the nav system is a pain to use, particularly when inputting an address (you click a letter, wait for it to register, click the next, etc. ... and the way you have to do it ... street name first, select correct city, then enter the address number)).

Frankly, is there an upgrade for this entire center console area? The CD/radio is a tad archaic, too (being 10 years old). I would love to simply play MP3s without losing the quality via a radio tuner device. And the audio section does not display radio stations correctly. When you store a new station so you can select it by tapping one of the on-screen buttons, the button does not usually display the radio name, but usually a part of the name of the song that was last played when last selected or some other odd piece of text. This means I just have to remember the position of the button for each station I store.

I doubt there is much that can be done, but I thought I would ask any way.

Thanks.

Old 08-23-2016 | 05:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 597 Likes on 473 Posts

Originally Posted by princemarko
There is a thin double din CarPlay enabled Alpine system I believe for $599 which I will for sure get
if you choose to purchase a new double din head unit to replace the factory alpine Nav monitor/screen . This will render the Climate control module inoperative !

Old 08-25-2016 | 12:06 PM
Box
Veteran Member
Received 643 Likes on 416 Posts

When the "Art of Performance" meets up with the "Art of Entertainment" this is what you come out with... (AVIC-8200NEX)

Attached Thumbnails Love My Jag, But ...-img_0003.jpg   Love My Jag, But ...-img_0008.jpg   Love My Jag, But ...-img_0004.jpg   Love My Jag, But ...-img_0002.jpg  

Last edited by Box; 08-25-2016 at 08:05 PM.
Old 08-25-2016 | 03:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Box, Did installing the aftermarket head unit have Any affect on your climate control? Nice work by the way. I wish Metra made a nice dash kit like that.

Old 08-25-2016 | 04:08 PM
Box
Veteran Member
Received 643 Likes on 416 Posts

Originally Posted by Acer721
Box, Did installing the aftermarket head unit have Any affect on your climate control? Nice work by the way. I wish Metra made a nice dash kit like that.
No affect on any system, including the climate control was affected by this install. My vehicle is a base model, with no Premium audio, (no amp or CD changer) so no changes had to be made to climate control. If a person already has touch screen, or Premium audio, other considerations have to be made.

The dash panel is actually a Metra 99-9501B for S and X models. Obviously, there has to be some attention paid to that part, but a can of Krylon Fusion Gloss Black and some 800 & 2000 grit wet/dry paper can get you a good finish. I have contacted Metra directly and have asked for them to produce a panel for the XJ8, and they said the request would be taken to development and the owner.

Last edited by Box; 08-25-2016 at 04:10 PM.