XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Lower control arm bolt.

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2019, 05:26 AM
Banned
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Lower control arm bolt.

Replacing front air shocks had trouble getting the bolt out that attaches the bottom of the strut to the control arm.....cut off strut and managed to get that far but now bolt seems seized to bushing in control arm.

Is that bushing replaceable......and how do I go about it.

or

do I need to replace the whole control arm.

Old 10-06-2019, 07:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 798 Likes on 670 Posts

Just used after market arms on mine, will replace the bushings in the original arms eventually.

The bushings are not inexpensive, when you compare them to the after market arms.

If you don't have the equipment, press, & tool to fit the bushing, add labor, to the equation.

Fastest, easiest way to do it in my situation

Old 10-06-2019, 09:19 AM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 203 Posts

That straight arm carries all the weight. Also the strut bushing.
The bolts on mine are free, strut replacement related. I think you can get the shock bushings for 20.00 each. The frame end bushing is a little more.
My car was making noises. Low speed creaking. The nut on the shock was rubbing the curved arm. Will address his next week. Need to press in new bushings. Might need new bolts.

Old 10-06-2019, 09:57 AM
Veteran Member

If they come free yes, your living in Texas, makes a huge difference!!!.
As i understand it his, as well as my 07 Xj8 VDP's were welded by rust into place.
No doubt from the salt used on the roads around here.
That's the reason why we're called the rust belt.
My 04's from the Carolina's, & things just seem to unbolt with out issue.
The 07's spent half it's life in Ohio, & fights me every step of the way.

Old 10-07-2019, 07:31 PM
Banned

So I can replace the bushing or the arm, either way the control arm needs to come off.....so best option will be to put new parts on......which means a whole new control arm.......any one know a good make.....Ive seen several non Jag and the price difference is a lot...anyone got any recommendations ?

Old 10-07-2019, 09:48 PM
Veteran Member

How many miles on your car? How long do you plan to keep it? Guess Long Island is short trips and traffic normally.
Rock Auto has the Uro straight arms for a little over 100.00. Saw Delphi straight for around 150.00. Lemforder are 250.00.
I think you can get the Lemforder bushings for less than 50.00 per arm. Do not know how good the Uro and Delphi arms are compared to Lemforder.
. Lemforder makes control arms for Jaguar, Audi, BMW, and most other European car makers. Only the Jaguar arms suffer from rubber and boot deterioration. I have a BMW and Audi the same vintage as the XJR. All the rubber fell apart on the Jag. All the rubber is perfect on the other two.
Uro, FEP, Eurospare, Delphi, and Moog May may be better if rubber live is factored in.

Old 10-08-2019, 09:37 PM
Banned

Yea my issue is that I read somewhere that one make.....moog I think ,did not fit well and required some cutting of the wheel liner to stop the wheel rubbing.
Car has just passed its 150000 birthday and is in pretty good condition. I may keep it because pretty much everything works well but I don’t mind putting money into it as it is my daily driver. This day and age you have two choices, scrap a reasonably good car and buy something else or fix it, either way you need to spend money. And I don’t mind doing that. I’m not all that into some of the newer cars with their new fangled gadgets that are designed because a lot of people can’t actually drive too well.......I’ve had a blind spot warning devise fitted in every car I’ve had or rented for the last 40 years.....lol.

Old 10-09-2019, 05:41 AM
Veteran Member

Pompey said;
I’ve had a blind spot warning devise fitted in every car I’ve had or rented for the last 40 years.....lol.

You say you've been married for 40 years???????????:

Old 10-12-2019, 11:07 AM
Veteran Member

Well guess what, went install the Beck & Arnley shock bushings and hit a rock wall. They pressed right in the straight arm. Bolts came right out of old bushings. The hole in the Beck and Arnley bushing is definitely smaller. Way smaller. Buffing the bushing and bolts to allow fitting. Do not want to use the ball joint tool to install, never will come out.
I suspect the most of the stuck bolts are hammered in a bushing identical to the Beck and Arnley.
Feel like ordering some Lemforder and starting all over next weekend. Except already got a car down, wife will not let me keep two not running.

Old 10-13-2019, 07:53 PM
Received 51 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Panelhead
Well guess what, went install the Beck & Arnley shock bushings and hit a rock wall. They pressed right in the straight arm. Bolts came right out of old bushings. The hole in the Beck and Arnley bushing is definitely smaller. Way smaller. Buffing the bushing and bolts to allow fitting. Do not want to use the ball joint tool to install, never will come out.
I suspect the most of the stuck bolts are hammered in a bushing identical to the Beck and Arnley.
Feel like ordering some Lemforder and starting all over next weekend. Except already got a car down, wife will not let me keep two not running.
That's odd. I used the Beck Arnley's and didn't have any issues.

Old 10-14-2019, 09:34 PM
Veteran Member

Well just picked after having a four well alignment. Did not talk to the tech to see how close it was. Dfinately fixed the creaks, squeaks, and intermittent clunks.
The shock bushing went quick. Looked okay a month ago. Was spitting it’s guts when I crawled under to find the cause of the noises.
It took a lot of reaming and buffing to get either bolt in the Beck and Arnley bushings. Not sure if this is a one off issue, cannot imagine it is. Maybe they will hold up.
The car sure is driving good. Wife may let me keep it.