XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Lower Radiator Hose Access?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2024, 03:56 PM
Received 127 Likes on 102 Posts
Default Lower Radiator Hose Access?

There are several hoses connected on both radiators on the bumper side. What needs to be removed to access? For example: The "Hose for the Auxilliary Radiator" attaches to the side. The pictured plastic cross member right above the bumper cover gets in the way. I couldn't find removal instructions for it; it seems it may be connected to the head light units, but it isn't logical that it would be.

What has to be removed to access the lower hoses? I assume the bumper cover &, I think, the referenced plastic cross member too.

Thanks and best,

Steve S.

Old 06-24-2024, 03:48 AM
Received 228 Likes on 187 Posts

Hi Steve,

in all the years I have worked on my cars, I have come to the maxime "when in doubt, remove more, instead of less, to facilitate access".

For me, this has worked out fine and saved a lot of bruised knuckles.

Having said this, at the time I removed the bumper cover, the headlights (I wanted to replace the bulbs anyway...), and the plastic support to which the headlights are attached.

With this, removing the radiator hose was quite easy by using the clamp removal tool with the remote cable.

Furthermore, I used the occasion to remove and clean the washer reservoir (it was dearly needed).

Best regards,

Thomas

Old 06-24-2024, 03:50 AM

P.S.: as you are already there, you can also check the ground points behind the headlights...

Old 06-24-2024, 06:49 AM

Thanks, Thomas! Very helpful. I agree completely that removal is a good option. The "easier" hose could not be removed with any of my implements of destruction because of the plastic piece.

Sounds like I should remove the bumper cover, then each light module.

Will the long plastic piece removal be fairly intuitive? I looked in the body manual and couln't find the section that details how the removal is done.

By water reservoir do you mean the one that holds the window washing fluid?. I will definetly find one of the stickies on the ground points and give them a good cleaning.

Thanks again & have a great day!

Old 06-24-2024, 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by 04Xjrsteve
Thanks, Thomas! Very helpful. I agree completely that removal is a good option. The "easier" hose could not be removed with any of my implements of destruction because of the plastic piece.

Sounds like I should remove the bumper cover, then each light module.
=> yes, that's the right sequence.

Will the long plastic piece removal be fairly intuitive? I looked in the body manual and couln't find the section that details how the removal is done.
=> yes, it will be. It is only screwed on and you should not have any trouble identifying the screws.

By water reservoir do you mean the one that holds the window washing fluid?.
=> yes, I do.

I will definetly find one of the stickies on the ground points and give them a good cleaning.

Thanks again & have a great day!
Have a grat day, too!
Best regards,

Thomas

Old 06-25-2024, 09:09 AM
Default Was Ist Das

Is this part of the radar? Need to disconnect in order to remove the plastic bar/platform atop the bumper. With my track record with connectors, thought I should ask how to disconnect? When I press on what seems to be the spot for releasing, nothing seems to happen. Also, it seems that it should be able to be removed from where it is held to the body? Any thoughts?
There is even a third radiator, a little guy, down there! What will I find next?

Old 06-25-2024, 09:30 AM

Hi Steve,

if I remember correctly, that's the temperature sensor for the external temperature for the climate control. The release is pretty straightforward, maybe you just the help of a small screwdriver. The release is on the bottom part of the plug as shown in your picture.

The radar for the cruise control is down below, as it is behind the bumper cover you will see it when you remove that.

As for the radiators... the car has 4 or 5. ;-)

Best regards,

Thomas

The following users liked this post:
04Xjrsteve (06-25-2024)
Old 06-25-2024, 09:49 AM

Thanks, Thomas. Fascinating how this car is put together!

I will try a little spray dialectic grease & try again.

Have a great day,

Steve S.

Thomas-S. (06-25-2024)
Old 06-25-2024, 03:12 PM
Default Ready To Start Putting Her Back Together

With just about everything removed except a few hoses left connected as a guide, this weekend will start the reassembly.

Old 06-25-2024, 04:15 PM

Looks familiar...

Old 07-02-2024, 04:54 AM
Received 199 Likes on 179 Posts

Fascinating how this car is put together!
I submit "frightening" could be more accurate?

Old 07-02-2024, 05:05 AM

Not so frightening, all in all, there are quite a few things that are more complicated to remove on my '98 Audi A4 Avant...

Old 07-02-2024, 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by Thomas-S.
Not so frightening, all in all, there are quite a few things that are more complicated to remove on my '98 Audi A4 Avant...
Having rebuilt Marchant and "Monroematic" mechanical claculumptigators w/o benefit of any sort of documentation?

The mechanical bits of Motorcars are EASY to work on. Electricals getting into bun-fights.... not so much.

The "frightening" part is when one hits evidence of poor design or a bean-counter 'win' over better engineering .. or even simple (lack-of) common sense.

Ex: Zinc plating of "speed nuts" and other trim and panel fasteners protects the Aluminium. Until ... the sacrificial Zinc becomes locally depleted. Thereafter, the Aluminium chassis will sacrifice itself to 'protect' the exposed Iron & Steel of the fastener.

Old 07-02-2024, 10:45 AM

Exactly, Bill & Thomas! I would use the word "frustration" to describe a goodly part of it. Things that should be easy to find aren't.

The Answer IMHO: AI

While I'm more knowledgeable about tech than my peers, my knowledge is still very limited. As we speak, AI could be putting together a shop manual for just our VIN number. It could have an index and a glossary. It could create a chart with every torque, etc. It could make readable diagrams and feature demonstrative photos. & list each part number in every reference to it.

I guestimate that this sort of thing could eliminate 50% of the "work" out of these projects. I see AI in the same way a framing carpenter sees the nail gun.

Have a great day!

Steve S.

Old 07-03-2024, 02:42 AM

Exactly, Bill & Thomas! I would use the word "frustration" to describe a goodly part of it. Things that should be easy to find aren't.

The Answer IMHO: AI

While I'm more knowledgeable about tech than my peers, my knowledge is still very limited. As we speak, AI could be putting together a shop manual for just our VIN number. It could have an index and a glossary. It could create a chart with every torque, etc. It could make readable diagrams and feature demonstrative photos. & list each part number in every reference to it.

I guestimate that this sort of thing could eliminate 50% of the "work" out of these projects. I see AI in the same way a framing carpenter sees the nail gun.

Have a great day!

Steve S.
"AI" AKA "Artificial Idiot" technology has been around since dietary 'laws' were first promulgated to reduce food poisoning and parasite loading. Well before Sumer had their little water problem, IOW.

They didn't call them "Artificial" Idiots 'back in the day,' as labour of biological manufacture was still cheap and willing enough there was no shortage of factory OEM, 'genuine' parts.

Called the most Artificial of THEIR Idiots "Politicians", rather.

If any more "AI" gets into a Jaguar's DNA than has already driven the electronomics coven confusingly psychotic?

I shall have to periodically administer an overdose of "stupid pills" just to be able to keep the b***h focused on serving as a motorcar..... rather than a viciously vacuous wannabee quiz show host.

04Xjrsteve (07-03-2024)
Old 07-03-2024, 09:28 AM

So Bill,

I’m curious to know your take on the future prospects of artificial intelligence (AI). Do you embrace its potential or harbor reservations?

Looking forward to hearing your perspective!

Best regards, Steve S.

Old 07-03-2024, 09:50 AM

So Bill,

I’m curious to know your take on the future prospects of artificial intelligence (AI). Do you embrace its potential or harbor reservations?

Looking forward to hearing your perspective!

Best regards, Steve S.
You mean "Artificial IDIOT".. Only use I find for it is entertainment. Confusing the living f**k out of it will become a favoured pastime for human children.

Any time you think con-putas are getting half way 'smart"?

Task the pretentious con-puta and a human child with the same goal in a crowded venue and see who succeeds or fails:

"Go and find your own biological Mother"

"AI" would lose to most ANY mammal on that score.. and even a few reptilians?

Old 07-03-2024, 09:57 AM

What a kick in the pants! I'm headed off to buy some illegal fireworks from the Indians to celebrate the 4th. If you lived here the trip would not be necessary!

Best,

Steve S.