XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Lucas fuel system cleaner

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2011, 02:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 167 Likes on 120 Posts
Default Lucas fuel system cleaner

Hello,
Has anyone used this product in their XJ8 (2004 or newer)?
My car's manual says thusly, "No additives of any kind must be put into the fuel tank...could reduce engine life"
I have an '05 XJ8L with 94k mi.
Also, can I use regular gas instead of premium?

Wolfy

Old 11-30-2011, 04:37 PM
Banned
Received 256 Likes on 218 Posts

I use a fuel system cleaner once a year. In the past I have used Techron. This year I used Lucas as my local auto parts store had it on special. I never had any ill effects and I can only presume the cleaners had a positive effect.

One can well imagine why Jag would put the warning in the manual as there are sensors in the induction and exhaust systems that can be damaged if bad stuff gets in the fuel. I don't think mild fuel system cleaners, such as Techron or Lucas, used according to directions present any risk. You might get some argument on that point but at least for me and my 5 Jags it's never been an issue.

You can use regular fuel in your Jag, probably with no ill effects as the engine management system compensates for different octanes. But why? If you calculate the amount of money saved per gallon of gas and multiply that times the gallons used in a year, well you got to ask yourself "why am I doing this?". Do the math. It will surprise you.

Your Jag gets better gas mileage with higher octane fuel, lowering even further the advantage of regular fuel. Moreover, one assumes that if you can afford one of these cars why not get the full performance advantage. After all, one of the things that attracted you to the car was performance, no?

Old 12-06-2011, 11:45 AM
Received 255 Likes on 143 Posts
Default Fuel Additives

I used Lucas in my 04 VDP and about 15 miles later, the "Check Engine" light came on and displayed a code that referred to "Improper fuel mixture".
It could be related to the Lucas treatment or the gas I used might have had corn additives. I use Lucas in the X-Type, Durango, and Jeep at least once every 2 months with no problems.

Last edited by reyesl; 12-06-2011 at 11:47 AM.
Old 12-06-2011, 12:48 PM
Banned
Received 256 Likes on 218 Posts

That seems like a lot of Lucas fuel system cleaner. What do the directions say? Do you suppose the Check Engine light means something? Could the car be trying to tell you something?

Not one of the above questions is asked in jest. I have heard of blown oxygen sensors after heavy doses of fuel additives. I think it happened to me once with an XJS. I never did figure out what it was all about but the failure occurred immediately after an overdose of fuel system cleaner.

Have any of "the brethren" out there ever experienced similar "error messages" or failures in the use of fuel additives?

Old 12-06-2011, 01:42 PM
Received 2,261 Likes on 1,844 Posts

Originally Posted by Wolfy
Hello,
Has anyone used this product in their XJ8 (2004 or newer)?
My car's manual says thusly, "No additives of any kind must be put into the fuel tank...could reduce engine life"
I have an '05 XJ8L with 94k mi.
Also, can I use regular gas instead of premium?

Wolfy
Fuel system additives and low octane gas usage are one of the most frequently discussed topics on the forum. I've contributed my own thoughts many times.

Why do you want to use a fuel system additive?

Old 12-06-2011, 04:42 PM
Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Fuels come with their own cocktail of additives. That said, I believe a bit more of the same additive (Techron) is OK, as long as directions are followed.

Additionally, I have become interested in the BG products that are used to thoroughly clean the induction and fuel systems, separately. Brutal speaks well of them. I plan on doing an air intake system cleaning using the BG system at some point before my car reaches 80K miles.

Old 12-08-2011, 06:07 AM
Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts

the dealership uses a pressurized 3m injector and fuel system cleaner...the absolute best treatment with NO side effects is 44k for the jag,merc,and bmw...they are use the similar throttle body set up...and the CAN wont be effected by the product.You will read many products,but from working on Jags and owning three,once a v12 and now 4.2 naturally aspirated,and the supercharged I can just speak from what i know..

Old 12-08-2011, 08:52 PM
Received 255 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by tarhealcracker
That seems like a lot of Lucas fuel system cleaner. What do the directions say? Do you suppose the Check Engine light means something? Could the car be trying to tell you something?

Not one of the above questions is asked in jest. I have heard of blown oxygen sensors after heavy doses of fuel additives. I think it happened to me once with an XJS. I never did figure out what it was all about but the failure occurred immediately after an overdose of fuel system cleaner.

Have any of "the brethren" out there ever experienced similar "error messages" or failures in the use of fuel additives?
Sorry for the delay in responding, I used a bottle which is the recommended amount. I have used Lucas in many vehicles, my own and at the shop were I worked at with excellent results.