XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Main beam issues X350

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2018, 04:01 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Main beam issues X350

My 2005 X350 has a headlamp fault, Driving home last night my high beam on both lamps wasn't working, however if I used the control to use the headlamp flasher it would work. Today I have noticed that my headlights (not main beam) and sidelights illuminate irrespective of the the control switch. Normally I have the switch on auto but I moved the control to the off position and the lights would remain illuminated.
Normally when the lights are on the dashboard illuimination is dim but last night the dash glowed like it does if the lights are turned off.

During 2017 I had to have the offside headlamp/sidelamp (UK) replaced due to heavy condensation inside the lamp which resulted in corrosion of the connections. 3 months later the headlamp failed and further corrosion was found but this was rectified.

Any advice gratefully received

Old 01-31-2018, 04:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,462 Likes on 1,956 Posts

Best to post this in the X350 forum.

Old 01-31-2018, 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by Fraser Mitchell
Best to post this in the X350 forum.
thanks Frazer

Old 01-31-2018, 05:30 PM
GGG
Received 16,868 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Originally Posted by Evvowxm
My 2005 X350 has a headlamp fault, .....
Welcome to the forum Evvowxm,

I've moved your question from General Tech Help to X350 forum. Members here with the same model will be able to help.

Please follow this link New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum to the New Member Area - Intro a MUST forum and post some information about yourself and your vehicle for all members to see. In return you'll get a proper welcome and some useful advice about posting to the forum.

Graham

Old 02-01-2018, 04:25 AM
Veteran Member

You can set your headlights to come on automatically to provide a daytime running light facility. Go to the menu on the screen and select system set-up.
The headlamp flasher uses the inner of the two lamps as these are quartx-halogen not Xenon discharge; those are the outers.
Other thing to bear in mind is the lighting switch on the steering binnacle can get faults in it that cause strange things to happen, (it happened to me on my last X350). Only cure for this is replacement.

Old 02-01-2018, 06:00 AM
NDW
Received 77 Likes on 61 Posts

In agreement with Fraser, my headlamp/turn signal switch was causing strange headlamp actions. It is very easy to replace and relatively inexpensive. A new one ended all of the issues I was experiencing.

Last edited by NDW; 02-01-2018 at 06:11 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Evvowxm (02-01-2018)
Old 02-01-2018, 06:56 AM
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Fraser Mitchell
You can set your headlights to come on automatically to provide a daytime running light facility. Go to the menu on the screen and select system set-up.
The headlamp flasher uses the inner of the two lamps as these are quartx-halogen not Xenon discharge; those are the outers.
Other thing to bear in mind is the lighting switch on the steering binnacle can get faults in it that cause strange things to happen, (it happened to me on my last X350). Only cure for this is replacement.
Thank you Fraser I'll try a new switch. It crossed my mind it could be that as I had issues way back in the 70's with an Austin Princess and I had to replace the switch but I just wondered if the earthing problems I' had last year may have been the issue. Thanks again

Old 02-08-2018, 03:55 PM
Default Problem cured

Many thanks for the advice given to me. I bought a replacement switch off eBay for £20 to see if that would cure the problem which arrived this morning. Although the switch had a slightly different reference number, D while mine had E, it fitted perfectly and was a simple job to fit. It has solved the problem.

Old 02-08-2018, 05:22 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Evvowxm
Many thanks for the advice given to me. I bought a replacement switch off eBay for £20 to see if that would cure the problem which arrived this morning. Although the switch had a slightly different reference number, D while mine had E, it fitted perfectly and was a simple job to fit. It has solved the problem.
Which shows the benefit of this forum, as you get people who had similar problems and cured them cutting down the amount of investigative work. £20 for a switch is pretty good, I had a new one fitted. Do you know what Jaguar it came off ? I think this switch is common to two or more models.

Old 02-09-2018, 10:25 AM
Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

I might point out, someone previously posted a thread in this forum with pictures for how to fix defective turn signal stalks. Typically a wire or two break in the rectangular box at the base of the stalk. The most difficult task is coaxing the cover off the box, which requires pushing in tabs on all four sides at once. Once opened up, a couple minutes with a soldering iron and some heat shrink, and the stalk is as good as new. I repaired my stalk about a year ago.