XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Mentally challenged by lock on 300HP VDP

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2012, 10:19 AM
Banned
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Mentally challenged by lock on 300HP VDP

Hey guys-my old car had a great locking system, no remote, but when you stick the key in the door and spin it, all doors unlock, and then lock spinning the key the other way. I could always remember the direction because turning the key toward the front of the vehicle unlocked everything and allowed you to "move forward". Being a complete dumb-ace, this was a big help.
The XJ however, is a little different. At times, when the other doors have been locked with the driver's door open, other than pressing the remote, I have not been able to unlock the other doors while, say, standing outside the vehicle. The lock lever aft of the inside door release lever is a no go because it's always in the open position, and is immovable. Yes it works great when the driver's door is closed. Also, there's no electric switch that I'm aware of, that could be pressed to unlock the other doors, other than the key fob. And as you know, leaning and reaching inside the cockpit trying to press the right button on the fob with the key in the ignition is tricky and could punch your ticket to the Chiropractor.
Sorry to bring this up if it's a real obvious screw-up on my part. Any help would be appreciated.

Old 02-18-2012, 10:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,642 Likes on 1,068 Posts

Maybe I don't fully understand the question, but I think you will achieve satisfaction and avoid your chiropractor if you go back to the old system that you loved, (relax! you can keep the XJ) but just give the key a double-twist instead of a single. Otherwise, there should be a lock/unlock button on the center console that gets them all..but I think perhaps key must be on or at least in the ign. Jag may've rethought that strategy since my 95 was designed...

Old 02-18-2012, 03:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,490 Likes on 908 Posts

Originally Posted by BigCat3153
Any help would be appreciated.
If you have the touch screen, have you tried disabling two stage unlocking in the setup menu?

Menu > System Setting > Vehicle setup

All doors should then unlock or lock at the same time with the key as well as the remote.

Also, if you get out of the car with all the doors lock, the drivers door lever will unlock all the doors.

Old 02-18-2012, 09:14 PM
Banned

I don't have touch screen, but tried the other ideas to no avail.

The problem is: One push on the remote unlocks the driver's door only. I then start the machine and climb out, allowing the Cat to warm up. I then want to stash something in the back seat, but the back door's still locked. I can unlock it by: a.) reaching inside and using the back door lever, or b.) reaching in and pushing the unlock button on the key fob while the key's still in the ignish.
Is there some other way to unlock the rear doors?

Old 02-18-2012, 09:21 PM
Veteran Member

2nd push on the remote doesn't unlock the others?

I would've thought either action that unlocks the driver's only (key twist or FOB push) if repeated within 3 sec. or so would unlock the remaining doors....

Old 02-18-2012, 09:31 PM
Banned

Thank you for your reply. Yes, a second push on the remote will do the trick, but I was hoping that there might be an alternative, such as pulling on the driver's inside door lever as one member suggested, or some other technique I haven't found yet.

And, it just may not be possible to do what I'm trying to do. It's just inconvenient when I'm trying to let someone enter the locked passenger side or access the locked rear cabin area with the key in the ignition. As you've probably seen, many other cars have a switch on the driver's door that accomplishes this, but the Cat may not want to. After all it is a cat-"Dogs have masters but Cats have staff".

Old 02-18-2012, 09:47 PM
Veteran Member

Hehe...Neither of our S-Types have nav with the screen, and both have a button in the center-stack that does it. I'd think the feature HAS to be there somewhere...but maybe hiding in a video screen somewhere if you have such. Do you leave the driver's door open when you crank it? All of ours unlock all doors when any door is opened - but that may only work when a locked door is opened - Thankfully Motorcarman canceled "Driveaway Locking" on my XJ because with a daily regimen not terribly different from what you describe, I was getting multiple lock-unlock sequences on all 4 doors every day! Good luck, I can imagine that is a PITA, but also can't believe there's not a switch in there somewhere that does it!
I wish there was one on the driver's door..would be far more convenient....

Old 02-19-2012, 02:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,490 Likes on 908 Posts

Originally Posted by BigCat3153
I don't have touch screen, but tried the other ideas to no avail.
In that case you could try this:

The procedure for changing from single-stage to two-stage unlocking (if enabled), or vice versa, is as follows:

Press and hold the lock and unlock buttons on the key transmitter simultaneously for four seconds.

Note:
1. The direction indicators will flash twice to confirm the action.
2. To revert to the previous condition, repeat the procedure described above.

The following users liked this post:
aholbro1 (02-19-2012)
Old 02-19-2012, 05:28 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by u102768
In that case you could try this:

The procedure for changing from single-stage to two-stage unlocking (if enabled), or vice versa, is as follows:

Press and hold the lock and unlock buttons on the key transmitter simultaneously for four seconds.

Note:
1. The direction indicators will flash twice to confirm the action.
2. To revert to the previous condition, repeat the procedure described above.
That did it! Thank you very much. The cat just became more user friendly!