XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Mic problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2012, 06:06 PM
Received 125 Likes on 65 Posts
Default Mic problem

I mentioned this in another thread about my phone installation, but I thought I'd ask the question in its own thread. I installed the bluetooth phone setup in my 2004 XJR. The car was prewired, and I installed the mic, the PSE and the BTUM. There was a spare D2B connection labeled REAR ICE that I used for the PSE, which should keep things in the proper order as I have neither the rear entertainment nor Voice. I used a lead-link for the voice harness to jump the wires for voice pass-through from the mic. However, the mic isn't working. The car recognized all the components and the phone immediately paired. I can make calls on the system, but no one can hear me when I talk.

Any idea where I should start troubleshooting this?

Old 11-04-2012, 12:08 PM

Does anyone know how to test a microphone other than trying it in another car or swapping in a known good one?

Old 11-05-2012, 12:38 PM

I found a comment in another forum referring to a 2002 x-type:

"I was able to figure out the cause of the muted mic. There was a taped up connector under the rear seat that needed to be mated to one of the harnesses. Once connected, full use of the mic was established."

Anyone heard of anything like this is an XJ?

Old 11-05-2012, 01:19 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,151 Likes on 753 Posts

Originally Posted by gmcgann
Anyone heard of anything like this is an XJ?
Hmmm, that is strange, and No, I haven't heard of any 'mic' difficulty in our models. I did notice that my mic was VERY difficult to snap into the overhead console correctly. Could it be that easy? I do recall seeing something in the SDD program about microphones when I was enabling/disabling features of the car...something about front or rear. I didn't mess with it though, since my mic was working immediately after plugging it in.

I'm not an EE, so I don't know how to test a mic, unfortunately. There should be some good help online, youtube and the sort.

Old 11-07-2012, 10:54 AM

I did some searching on the UK forums and found the problem. It seems I'm a "duff ******" who expected any electronic modifications to work without a hard reset. I disconnected the battery for five minutes, reconnected it, and everything works fine.

Old 11-07-2012, 12:28 PM
Veteran member

lol, I hate that feeling. I'm glad you got yours working, its so rewarding to successuflly complete such a 'complex' install with such huge benefits to us as owners/drivers, w/o taking it to a professional or the dealer. Reward yourself!

Old 11-07-2012, 09:34 PM

And actually it's not that complex. The cars are prewired. All you need is the PSE, the BTUM, the mic and a lead link.It's all plug and play. Compared to the hours I spent researching it I could install another setup in about 30 minutes, There's another bundle on eBay right now with everything you need except the lead link for less than $600.
Jaguar Bluetooth Phone Module Interface Kit Btum PSE Mic s Type x Type XJ8 | eBay

The following users liked this post:
vacmail (11-08-2012)
Old 11-08-2012, 08:46 PM
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Talking PSE, the BTUM, the mic and a lead link bundle

OK, i just ordered that bundle for my 04 XJ8, I stop by the dealer today to get the cost of the d2b lead cable. They will let me have it for 120.00, ok i had to ask, they said they would install for 115.00 an hour will take about 3 to 4 hours. Not good

gmcgann,

You are telling me i can save that money and do it myself.

Vacmail
2004 XJ8

Old 11-08-2012, 09:40 PM

Yes, you can do it yourself. I have a thread here with pictures of my installation. I used this pdf as a guide. A few things:

The overhead console has to come down at the front first. Mine was pretty tight, and I had to use a bit more force than I would have liked to pry the front down, but it popped out fine. I did NOT have a screw in the rear of the console, where the sunglass holder is. To get the mic cable through the headliner I made sure I wasn't going to hit anything on the inside - there is a plastic piece if you try to put the mic too far forward - and then just poked an awl through the headliner.

You could probably get away without removing the center console for the BTUM. You could just wedge it in after you pop out the rear console vents. I've had the console out before when I installed my ACM, so I know how easy it comes out, but it isn't neccessary from a functional standpoint.

You may not need a new D2B harness depending on what you have. You need to pull the left panel off in the trunk and see. My XJR has Nav and CD changer, but no voice or rear seat DVD. I had a spare D2B connector terminated with a loop that was marked REAR ICE (In Car Entertainment.) If the car had the rear seat DVD this would have plugged into the other spare D2B cable marked BT INLINE. If you have this cable you don't need a new harness. The order on the D2B ring is:

Head Unit --> CD Changer --> Phone --> Voice --> Rear Media --> Nav --> Amplifier --> Head Unit

Since I didn't originally have Phone, Voice or Rear Media I could use the cable marked Rear ICE for the phone and everything is still in the proper order. If I were to add voice I would need a new harness.

The other connection is obvious - there should be two more plugs (not fiber) and only one will fit the PSE. The other would fit the voice module. That's the one you need the lead link for because the microphone goes through the voice module before the phone, so it has to be jumpered to get the signal to the PSE. This is just a plastic plug. I got mine from Gaudin's Jaguar for $28.75 with $14.95 shipping. The part number is XR843781.

There is also an installation kit for the PSE with the screws to mount it in the stack. I have boxes of those kinds of screws so I didn't need the kit.

I really think I could install another one in less than an hour.

vacmail (11-09-2012)
Old 11-09-2012, 03:45 AM
Veteran member

I had to hunt around a bit for the connector that goes to the PSE, since I didn't have it installed, it was taped up and tucked next to some other wiring. Just so you know, its not just staring at you dangling in midair. Its really not that hard, and agree with gmcgann, don't remove the center console, just tuck it inside the console from the rear when the vents are pulled to plug in the BT module. If you can save yourself $120 and just use a blank fiber optic plug, that would be great! You need to pull the floor carpet in the boot, the rear plastic trim, and the left side carpet...all will be revealed and very VERY easy to get to. Use whatever screws you have lying around, no need to buy them from the dealer, I agree.

vacmail (11-09-2012)
Old 11-09-2012, 09:53 AM

Well, the cable was taped to the rest of the harness behind the equipment stack, but it's not hard to find. It's about two inches long and there aren't many wire bundles back there to hide it.

vacmail (11-09-2012)
Old 11-09-2012, 05:08 PM

gmcgann and H20boy,

Thanks again for all the help, I will give you updates when the unit comes in,and order that blank fiber optic plug.

Vacmail

Old 11-10-2012, 04:14 PM
Thumbs up Plastic plug online buy

Ok, Guys,
I ordered the plug today everything should come in at the same time. By now you know i like the ideal of saving money, that's why i could not pass up that deal for the kit. I did call my dealer and ask about the cost of the plug, they had it for 57.00, not good.

I ordel from http://www.partswebsite.com/jaguarparts they had the plug for $30.12 with shipping at $11.95 i had order from them in the past. Here's that info about that other parts dealer.

This is just a plastic plug, from Gaudin's Jaguar for $28.75 with $14.95 shipping. The part number is XR843781.

Well, all I'm doing now is waiting on the mailman

Thanks again for all the help guys

vacmail

Old 11-14-2012, 10:46 PM

OK bundle for my 04 XJ8, came in today everything looks great. I'm just waiting for the lead plug. OK you know how Jaguar owner are, the Mic is gray and my interior is sand but for the cost, I still think all this for 600.00 I can live with it. OK truth be know, I am looking for some touch up paint. LOL

Vacmail

Old 11-15-2012, 10:14 AM

The only thing visible on the mic is the plastic cover, so you can paint it easily. Just make sure the paint doesn't block the holes.

Old 11-18-2012, 03:05 PM
Default Painting the Mic

Ok,

I went to Hobby Lobby,looking for that sand color that match my interior. Had no problems once, i went to the model car sections. I check the tracking # for the plug lead should be here tomorrow. I even stop by autozone and pick up the bolts and clips to hold the unit in the rack. All I can do now is wait

Thanks again for all the help

vacmail

Old 11-18-2012, 11:12 PM
Veteran member

You could tear apart the boot, remove the carpet, and wait.

Old 11-19-2012, 04:40 PM
Thumbs down Phone unit didn't work

OK guy's

I was out in the garage installing the Mic when the UPS guy drop off the lead plug. The hardest part of the whole deal was getting the overhead down. OK got everything install connected the battery went and turn the switch on push the phone button And ( Not fitted for phone messenger comes up) I went back double check all the connection, went back turn the key on push the button and you guessed it (Not fitted for Phone) Any ideals out there? Now keep in mind i did not replace the D2B i had that plug tape up that you guys told me about. So all I had was Nav & CD charger. I disconnected the battery two or three times waited 10 min or so and tried it again no change. Price tag now 595.00 +25 shipping, 30 for the lead plug and let's not forget the 6.00 for the paint for the mic.

Once again guys any ideals out, beside i got a jack up unit.

Here's the deal guy's first thing, my jag came off the line with just a nav system. Some where down the line the CD changer was added so the new d2b for 130.00 will not work. So I had to order a new one with 3 connected dealer cost 367.00. Online cost from my two parts places one was 338.00 the other 325.00 harness part no. C2C21847. But the bluetooth install, Mic install and unit install I can't stop now, I started this

Last edited by vacmail; 11-19-2012 at 06:59 PM. Reason: A update
Old 11-19-2012, 09:56 PM

Are you saying you didn't plug a D2B cable into the PSE? It definitely won't work without that.

Old 11-19-2012, 10:05 PM

You can also add another connector to your existing link. Here's a guide: http://www.keepandshare.com/doc/2889...4k?da=y&dnad=y

Quick Reply: Mic problem