XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

miles and miles

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2012, 06:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool miles and miles

I'm considering purchasing a 2004 XJR with 147,000 miles, the owner claims all service is up to date and will show me the records but, not knowing much myself what major items should have been performed by now? or any advice or comments are welcome.

Old 01-17-2012, 08:51 PM
XJL
Received 142 Likes on 109 Posts

I personally would not purchase a 2004 with that many miles unless you were getting sometype of fantastic deal. There are way to many other XJ's out there with low mileage.

The following users liked this post:
jayf1981 (01-18-2012)
Old 01-18-2012, 03:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,451 Likes on 1,949 Posts

I would have a look at the records before you reject the car. If the price is right then it could be a good buy. The car is supercharged, so there are more maintenance items than standard. I would expect to see: -

- air suspension compressor replaced, (probably at least twice for those miles
- suspension work front and rear for worn bushes
- some TCM reflashes (software update)
- brake rotors and pads all round
- and other items which may have failed or worn out like door latches.

Remember the maintenance schedules are just that, maintenance like oil change, brake fluid change etc. However, the schedule also includes inspection of various areas, following which the owner is advised if this or that needs replacing. Sometimes the owner will be told "such and such is starting to wear out, and will need fixing at the next service" in which case, you can drive the car for another 10,000 miles. As well as the inpections at the shop, in the UK we have a thing called the "MOT test", a government test for roadworthiness. This normally flags up any safety items and if the car fails the test, these have to be fixed before the car can be put back on the road. You probably haave something similar in the US

jayf1981 (01-18-2012)
Old 01-18-2012, 09:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,202 Likes on 933 Posts

At least the car you are looking at is not lemon if it made it that far.

jayf1981 (01-18-2012)
Old 01-18-2012, 10:08 AM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I concur on a lengthy inspection of the records before an outright "walk away" decision is made. The bottom line is, with any car, if it had indeed been properly maintained and the aforementioned items have been replaced when the need arose then I would have to consider it heavily IF the price is irrestible.

I have been a Jaguar owner for the majority of the past 13 years (Two of which I have owned an 04 XJ) and have found the proper mathmatical equation to owning any of the line is to have roughly a $5000 cushion to soften the landing of any major expenses you may encounter during the length of ownership.

I know this sounds like a frightening number (at least to some of us, lol) but as you likely know, one can easily rack up that amount in expenses in a short period of time, especially if you don't look for more economical alternatives to repair & service and rely strictly on the dealer. With the purchase of an R car, the repair expenses are even greater due to various factors, not the least of which to always remember the possibility of a failed supercharger. At that mileage interval, I would have to also inquire about that ever so integral option.

Bottom line is, I will always feel Jaguar is by far the best bargain in the luxury car market for various reasons. Just always keep in mind even if you are purchasing the car at a fraction of the original MSRP there is no equal depreciation of the necessary elements to keep your cat on the road. An $8,000 Jaguar can easily turn into a $16,000 one in the blink of an eye.

With all that being said, if it just feels right, everything checks, the price is a phenominal bargain and you have adequate funding for future repairs, then go for it. I assure you that no other car in the price range you are likely budgeting for will give you the sheer performance and unparalelled looks of the XJ. Just always remember...like a beautiful woman, it does come with a price

The following 2 users liked this post by GoobeGustafson:
jayf1981 (01-18-2012), jeffn (03-16-2012)
Old 01-18-2012, 12:58 PM

Good comments.. Thank you. @9500.00 04 XJR ALL Options, if records check out ? is that a good deal ? I hate to be negative but I'm betting at least 2 major maintenance items waiting. Time to get dirty.?

Old 01-18-2012, 04:38 PM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Welllllllll, since we last spoke this AM, I have encountered one of those situations where you wish you WEREN'T a Jaguar owner. Ha.

I recently noticed a serious power steering leak and garaged my XJ until I had the spare time to take it to a local shop for a lift on the rack & diagnosis. The doctor has spoken and it's time for a new steering rack. As one might expect, this isn't a $50 fix and I am about to turn to other forum members for suggestions on places/prices in regards to purchasing a nice remanufactured unit, outside of the standard places I have already searched (ebay, google, etc)

A quick phone call to my nearest dealership (Louisville, KY) once again confirmed why if one acts in a fiscally conservative manner, he will avoid the official Jaguar Surgical Center for such a matter: $2275 for a remanufactured unit, not counting labor, sales tax, etc. A price some may be able to cough up without losing a lung but I am not that fortunate.

I will likely (hopefully) locate a reman unit in the $3-500 range and labor was quoted locally at $150 installed (yes, pretty darn cheap.) and be on my merry way. Searching for the best deal and asking your peers for help is half the fun!

With that being said, I can't help but feel that the price on the R-car that you are looking at is, in my mind, and with wholesale numbers backing me, about $1500 overpriced. I personally would feel much more comfortable being in a near-150k mile car in the 8 grand range. Pay no attention to books, websites, etc., as far as numbers go on this one. Unless it was purchased directly from a certified Jaguar dealer with said clean bill of health attached and pedigree to go on, I would pass at that price. Heck, $7500 wouldn't be a bad number to be at in retrospect. I assure you that the seller would not garner near the asking price of $9.5k if he were to trade his unit, records or no records. Use that to negotiate if you wish.

Think long and hard about the purchase and in the end, go with what your heart tells you. That's what I have always done in regards to purchasing a Jaguar or any other auto I've owned for that matter. Also, keep in mind that financial padding we discussed earlier and double that figure if you have no other means of service/repair other than your local dealership. I assure you, you will need to dip into that rainy day fund sooner or later during your ownership.

Keep me posted and don't give up if you feel the R car isn't for you. There are plenty of naturally aspirated XJ's, including the Vanden Plas line with 100k or less on the clock that can be purchased in the $10-11k price range that you are already nearing. Just check ebay for many reputable dealers offering such units. If you truly have your heart set on owning a Jaguar, I feel you won't be disappointed (or broke) if you make the right purchase of the right car at the right price.

Good luck. We're here if you need to chat.

jayf1981 (01-19-2012)
Old 01-19-2012, 09:21 AM
Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

I love my 04 XJ8. I bought it last year for $13000. It was in mint condition, maintenance reports and all. Three months after buying it, my throttle body position sensor quit working. I found a broken plug. I mended it and back on the road. One month later, I had my front right air strut literally blow up, while it was parked. EXPENSIVE. The suspension tends to be the largest problem on all X350 models. That is one big thing you need to check on. Air suspensions tend to fail anywhere between 80-100,000 miles. If the struts fail, Jaguar dealerships will charge $1500 per shock plus labor. It gets very pricey. Now, there is an alternative to the whole suspension thing, for if you do purchase the vehicle and you have these issue, Arnott Ind. They sell remaned air struts and they are at a fraction of the price. You CANNOT find a cheaper and better deal anywhere. They also have a conversion kit to rid the car of the whole air suspension problem. Five months ago, I lost two more struts at once, while driving. My compressor burned up. Extremely pricey fix. I decided to go the conversion route. I will be doing that modification next week.

jayf1981 (01-19-2012)
Old 01-19-2012, 11:35 AM
MTW
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

usmc1211 please give feed back on the conversion kit - handling and ride -when you have installed and compared to the air ride - I know that will be heavily appreciate here. Never had a problem but it we come I know and I will go with the conversion kit as well.
Fraser Mitchell only a few states in US has a MOT (Safety inspection) and the inspection I have tried in MA was nothing compared to Denmark in Europe - most states just have smog inspections.

Last edited by MTW; 01-19-2012 at 11:39 AM.
jayf1981 (01-19-2012)
Old 01-19-2012, 01:59 PM

Awesome. greatly appreciated your comments ring spot on..

Old 01-19-2012, 10:23 PM
Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by usmc1211
Air suspensions tend to fail anywhere between 80-100,000 miles.
Some as early as 22,000 miles, even with gentle driving.

Old 01-20-2012, 02:09 PM
Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Oh, really? That would not be a good situation. At least at 22,000, Ya may still have a warranty. I wish my XJ did.

Old 01-22-2012, 06:42 PM
Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts

Yep, starting throwing off fault codes (cold weather natch) and the factory warranty had expired the month before. No actual failures though.

What's the nicest late-model luxury/sports car you can buy which doesn't have an active suspension? I want one of those.

Old 01-22-2012, 08:14 PM
Banned
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Marsden
Yep, starting throwing off fault codes (cold weather natch) and the factory warranty had expired the month before. No actual failures though.

What's the nicest late-model luxury/sports car you can buy which doesn't have an active suspension? I want one of those.
My Vanden Plas and it's not for sale.