XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Mina intake V 2.0, DIY for even more hp!

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2014, 11:28 PM
Received 12,942 Likes on 6,466 Posts

Originally Posted by Revonok
I also took a picture of exactly what is included in the box for anyone who cares to know since I've never seen one.
Revonok,

Thanks for the good report!

P.S. The Phase 90 reissue in your photo made me smile!

Cheers,

Don

The following users liked this post:
Revonok (10-07-2014)
Old 10-07-2014, 08:20 AM
Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Don B
Revonok,

Thanks for the good report!

P.S. The Phase 90 reissue in your photo made me smile!

Cheers,

Don

Haha! I was going to add in that the Phase Pedal was not included but I figured we all knew that One of these days I'm going to get my Stratocasters out with the Jag and take a picture of them together to appreciate my true loves in life.

Originally Posted by XxSlowpokexX
Isnt the sound wonderful? If you happen to get a new inlet pipe that sound increases significantly!

I absolutely love the sound! I've been thinking of a way to fabricate a high quality inlet pipe myself since I don't have an R thus there's nothing I know of available, but I've yet to come up with anything.

Last edited by Revonok; 10-07-2014 at 08:23 AM.
Old 10-08-2014, 01:21 PM
Received 95 Likes on 85 Posts

I just put my Mina Intake on as well - really easy install. No issues thus far, but saved my stock airbox, just in case.

I'm going to reach out to see if they'll sell me a spare heat shield which I can cut open to install the stock air intake nozzle (I don't know what it's really called) similar to OP's setup. Doesn't seem it would be too tough to fit that piece in - trace the opening, cut, fit etc.

I'm pissed I didn't know about the forum discount at Mina!

Old 10-08-2014, 01:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 171 Likes on 127 Posts

I didnt know about discount either! Bought exhaust from them as well. I been driving my car for awhile now with the MINA kit and a SS 3.5 inch tube with no issues whatsoever with passing emmisions OBDII testing as well. I find it hard to believe it would cause anyone issues so long as you dont have an air leak of some sort Also have on my xkr with no issues

Old 10-15-2014, 12:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 527 Likes on 371 Posts

Hey all, it's been a really long day and I've still got a few things to finish up so I'm going to keep this short and sweet, I'll upload my graph data and pics at a later point in time, hopefully tomorrow after work.

Also I should note that I've made the above modification to the Mina Intake, but used a 4 bolt mounting bracket like what SlowPoke has done instead of just the hole. Not sure that it made a huge difference but I had it so I figured why not. I also used 4" tubing.

So I'd been monitoring my Intake Air Temps to/from work like I had mentioned, taking the same route at the same speeds and for the most part with the same external air temps and this is what I've recorded;

Stock Air Box:
Highway speed with cruise control on: IAT roughly 5-10º above external air temps.

At a stop: Temps would rise quite a bit, about +15º/25º above external temps and take a bit of driving to reduce back to "normal"

Mina Gallery Intake with the above mod:
Highway speed with cruise control on: IAT the same as or more often about 5 or so degrees below external air temps, I assume because of the increase in air flow.

At a stop: Similarly temps would begin to rise with less air moving through, but seemed to level out around 10-15º above. Temps would drop back down within a few (45 or so) seconds of driving and remain low.

Acceleration: Obviously this isn't going to be a night and day difference like the stories of "My filter on a stick added 40 HP", but I have felt a slight yet noticeable increase in throttle response, especially at higher RPMs (Passing at highway speeds) the engine never felt like it was struggling by any means, but it does seem to pick up with a bit more ease now.

Sound: It may just be for my own enjoyment, but the engine sounds MUCH happier and has a very pleasant sort of whistle/growl when you give it some gas.

Fuel Economy: I'm hesitant to comment on this because I don't want to start a war, and I'll absolutely admit that it may just be a total fluke, but I've recorded a +1MPG increase. Again, I have no science to attribute this to the intake it was just simply recorded along with the rest of my data.

Overall: For $100 total (Ask Mina for the forum discount ) and an afternoon in the garage after work, I'm very pleased with the Intake. I've had no CEL's, a smooth idle, and a happy sounding car. I wasn't expecting anything amazing but I'm happy with what I got; If you're contemplating buying the kit but hesitating due to older reviews of the earlier iterations of the product I would recommend getting it, It's not a lot of money and I think you'll be happy with your purchase!

P.S. I had to bend the heat shield and mounting bracket a bit to get a fit I was happy with around the power steering reservoir, so if you get frustrated/confused by the odd fit don't worry too much about it, the heat shield and bracket are both plenty tough and will bend into position without any trouble.
So, some more time has passed. Are you still happy with the intake, Revonok?

Old 10-16-2014, 04:31 AM

Hey XJ8JR,

I'm still very happy with the intake and the car is running great, not a single issue with the intake.

I took this week off from work and I've been really busy so I haven't been making the daily commute like usual, but all the driving I have been doing (mostly off the highway) has been very pleasant and I still get happy every time I hear how nice it sounds when accelerating.

XJ8JR (10-16-2014)
Old 10-16-2014, 12:36 PM
Veteran Member

Awesome. Thanks again!

Old 10-16-2014, 03:42 PM
Received 95 Likes on 85 Posts

And for what it's worth, I've now had mine on for about a month with no issues. Can't beat the price either.

Old 11-28-2014, 01:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 171 Likes on 127 Posts

oh..My XJR is flying in the cool weather. My over enthusiastic driving ripped me a motor mount in two even:O)

Old 09-09-2015, 06:56 PM
Veteran Member

Is everyone still liking their Mina intakes? Nearly a year later, I've finally ordered one

In preparation, I've gone and sliced the dirty great big resonator off the stock intake tube and sealed the hole up nice and tight with some gorilla tape. Ghetto, I know, but it does the trick since there are no aftermarket tubes for a NA 4.2. Already I've noticed a very slightly sharper throttle response and the engine sounds..."healthier", I guess the word is. It's a welcome change from the bogged down sounds and response I've been getting lately in this 100 degree + weather. My car does not like the heat at all.

Old 09-10-2015, 09:53 AM

Hey XJ8JR,

I'm still happy as can be with mine, though looking back at this thread made me realize how long I've had it on! (Time flies when you work all day everyday lol)

It's the strangest thing too, on some of these 100+ degree days we've been having my car runs like a champ on the highway; I'm not sure why or how or what, but it's nice. On cold days it's even better.

It still sounds fantastic every time I need to step on the gas a bit more aggressive than usual, and all of the parts (Filter, tubing, hose clamps, heat shield, etc) are still holding up great and look brand new.

No regrets here! Unrelated, but I do wish their exhaust system wasn't such an obnoxious price for mufflers lol.

XJ8JR (09-10-2015)
Old 09-17-2015, 10:32 PM
Veteran Member

Hey XJ8JR,

I'm still happy as can be with mine, though looking back at this thread made me realize how long I've had it on! (Time flies when you work all day everyday lol)

It's the strangest thing too, on some of these 100+ degree days we've been having my car runs like a champ on the highway; I'm not sure why or how or what, but it's nice. On cold days it's even better.

It still sounds fantastic every time I need to step on the gas a bit more aggressive than usual, and all of the parts (Filter, tubing, hose clamps, heat shield, etc) are still holding up great and look brand new.

No regrets here! Unrelated, but I do wish their exhaust system wasn't such an obnoxious price for mufflers lol.
Thanks for the update. I just received mine today and I'm wondering what the best way to cut the hole is. I'm good with the wrenches but I'm not so experienced when it comes to drilling/sawing/cutting. Any tips would be great.

Old 04-29-2017, 09:16 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I intalled the Mina Gallery air filter/heatshield this weekend (4/28/17) on my X308 and it is one of the best adds yet. It is worth every penny. My wife was shocked at the performance improvement - in her mind, "it sounds like you installed 'glass packs'. I can tell you it feels like I added a lot of horse power, and it does sound as though I replaced the mufflers rather than, in effect, the air filter. Without instrumentation to confirm the effect, it seems that acceleration from about 35 MPH to 70 MPH is much improved. In other words, the power curve seems to have shifted to provide more power at lower RPM.

Old 04-30-2017, 12:37 PM
Received 12,942 Likes on 6,466 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Thompson
I intalled the Mina Gallery air filter/heatshield this weekend (4/28/17) on my X308 and it is one of the best adds yet. It is worth every penny. My wife was shocked at the performance improvement - in her mind, "it sounds like you installed 'glass packs'. I can tell you it feels like I added a lot of horse power, and it does sound as though I replaced the mufflers rather than, in effect, the air filter. Without instrumentation to confirm the effect, it seems that acceleration from about 35 MPH to 70 MPH is much improved. In other words, the power curve seems to have shifted to provide more power at lower RPM.
Hi Bill,

Welcome to the Jaguar Forums! It's great to have you with us.

Please visit the https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/n...-intro-must-5/ and post a required introduction so we can learn something about you and your Jaguar and give you a proper welcome.

Cheers!

Don

Old 05-03-2017, 10:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,756 Likes on 1,327 Posts

I am curious as to how many people have paid attention to their charge coolers on SC models when installing an air intake system?

I am talking about clogged matrices after about 50,000 miles.

Last edited by jackra_1; 05-03-2017 at 10:57 AM.
Don B (05-03-2017)