XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

A missing screw on the underbody cover

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2024, 04:09 PM
Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts
Default A missing screw on the underbody cover

Would anyone be able to describe what I am seeing here?

It seems like a screw might have been torn off there, in which case I would be looking for the whole part... What would be its name and code please?

edit: OK, I have just learned it is NOT the engine undertray. It is the "undertray" following further toward the back.....

edit 2: So it is 7 and 8 here: https://store.jaguar.com/parts/index.../brand/jaguar/
OH LAWDY LAWD WHY IS THERE SO MANY OF THEM? 😲😂💇🏻‍♂️
Sooo, given my VIN ends with H24303, am I looking at one of 5 possible alternatives...? 😂

Following is probably incorrect:
Nevermind, it seems like I might need
[4] mounting bracket XR816810
[5] spring nut C2C28406
[6] screw C2C32663 (or C2Z2320?)
[9] nut and washer XR854810
...and I might need the [5]

Last edited by Jaroslav Záruba; 07-01-2024 at 04:49 PM.
Old 07-02-2024, 04:52 AM
Received 216 Likes on 177 Posts

Hi Jaroslav,

my car has the same issue, although not quite as bad as yours.

I would say that you di not need the [5] as it will not help you. What you show in your video is where the engine undertray was fixed to the back undertra.

In my case the part broken off from the back undertray is so small that I could fix it by placing a bit washer above the bak undertray, put a screw through it and fix it from below with another washer and a nut. As inyour case the part broken off is bigger, you will need to use something bigger, probably a rectangular piece of metal,to be able to create the support for the screw above the back undertray.

I do not have any pictures, but I hope that I my explanation is understandable. If not, I will try to take some pictures, but that would only be on the weekend.

Best regards,

Thomas

The following users liked this post:
04Xjrsteve (07-03-2024)
Old 07-02-2024, 05:19 AM

Originally Posted by Thomas-S.
I would say that you di not need the [5] as it will not help you. What you show in your video is where the engine undertray was fixed to the back undertra.
OK, understood, no need for pics, thank you Thomas!
I was hoping the strange missing part [5] might somehow fit into that half-hole.
Rectangular piece of metal it shall be.

Cheers

Old 07-02-2024, 07:27 AM
Received 216 Likes on 177 Posts

[5] looks like this in reality:

It is used to fix the engine subtray and is inserted into the crossmember under the front of the engine as the thread for the bolts that go through no [2], which is part of the engine undertray.

Best regards,

Thomas

Old 07-02-2024, 05:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,903 Likes on 757 Posts

As far as the missing plastic goes.....could you simply get a plastic bumper repairer to plastic weld a small section back into the tray to reinstate it?

The following 3 users liked this post by h2o2steam:
Jaroslav Záruba (07-02-2024), Pete M (07-03-2024), Thermite (07-03-2024)
Old 07-02-2024, 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by h2o2steam
As far as the missing plastic goes.....could you simply get a plastic bumper repairer to plastic weld a small section back into the tray to reinstate it?
I didn't inspect that thing properly, so I had no clue what material it was. Only later when re-playing the video I realized that's not just a missing screw.

As for repairs - I am all for it, as soon as I can get a proper access to that spot.
(Knowing what a healthy version of that part looks like might help a bit too.)

Old 07-03-2024, 02:08 AM
Received 273 Likes on 211 Posts

Unless you are going for Concours d'Elegance, You Cannot Be Serious!
Just stick another f.screw in it.

Old 07-03-2024, 03:30 AM

Originally Posted by ChrisMills
Unless you are going for Concours d'Elegance, You Cannot Be Serious!
Just stick another f.screw in it.
I would prefer something that has actual impact on those two loose parts. Another f screw on its own won't do isht.
A piece of something (metal or plastic) probably will... as mentioned earlier.

Last edited by Jaroslav Záruba; 07-03-2024 at 03:37 AM.
Old 07-03-2024, 03:41 AM

You are off the planet. Just go to a hardware store or something.
(In New Zealand, the joke is we would use No 8 fencing wire)

Last edited by ChrisMills; 07-03-2024 at 03:44 AM.
Old 07-03-2024, 03:46 AM

My apology for triggering you by taking care of my cars. Feel free to ignore my annoying posts in the future.

Old 07-03-2024, 03:59 AM

I'm all for keeping my Jag original. No alterations at all, even keeping the air suspension.
But ridiculous is ridiculous.
I spent $10,000 (NZ) on suspension last year. A fellow member who is indeed ridiculous!
In your case, I'd just stick a screw in it. Good luck!

Old 07-03-2024, 04:10 AM
Received 184 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by Jaroslav Záruba
I didn't inspect that thing properly, so I had no clue what material it was. Only later when re-playing the video I realized that's not just a missing screw.

As for repairs - I am all for it, as soon as I can get a proper access to that spot.
(Knowing what a healthy version of that part looks like might help a bit too.)
AFAIK an XJR has the same chassis / undertray as an XJ8-"L"?

MY 2005 to MY 2008, differences, if any, I've no klew about?

My 2005's undertray - and 'not only' has been off and lying about, loose, since last fall.

Some of the other plastic 'Hollywood cosmetics' have been off since 2013...

What do you need?
Photos?
Full outline traced on paper?
Close-up of a particular area?

Jaroslav Záruba (07-03-2024)
Old 07-03-2024, 08:00 AM
Received 109 Likes on 77 Posts

Jaroslav, in my particular case, I found that the inserts (item #11 in your first post) had worn out and become completely loose, making it a total PITA to take off and re-install plastic covers on underbody. I replaced all of them with new inserts from the following kit;

Amazon Amazon

When I did this, I replaced the associated fastener with round-head hex-drive bolts and oversize stainless steel washers. Round head works best, as it does not get clipped by under-body debris and road sand.

As for the ones that use the spring steel clips that Thomas references, I have found that my (rather large) batch of hex drive bolts left over from replacing the Transmission pan / fluid change (these are the oversize head bolts that ZF uses to secure pan, 22 I think per pan) make excellent replacements to fit the spring steel quick nuts. One small advantage of hoarding leftovers, I guess .

I have repaired the one left rear underbody tray; it had cracked badly, I suspect overzealous lift operator at my tire store missed the jackpoints. Be aware it is some sort of hybrid plastic with fiber composite in it, they get old and plasticizer wears out, and don't repair well. My best luck was to use my plastic staple welder/repair kit to re-attach, then apply a thin coat of JB Weld (more of a fill-the-gap using self-leveling JB weld). 6 k miles later, they are holding very nicely, and the fix blends really well, you cant even see the seam.

Old 07-03-2024, 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by Thermite
AFAIK an XJR has the same chassis / undertray as an XJ8-"L"?

MY 2005 to MY 2008, differences, if any, I've no klew about?

My 2005's undertray - and 'not only' has been off and lying about, loose, since last fall.

Some of the other plastic 'Hollywood cosmetics' have been off since 2013...

What do you need?
Photos?
Full outline traced on paper?
Close-up of a particular area?
I posted a link somewhere in this thread, and from the link I concluded there are many part numbers and variations of the undertray - way too many for me to even try to investigate more.

So the plan is to slap/glue something on the undertray to fix the hole and then screw the two parts together again.

I have seen a post with images illustrating the underbody, but this particular detail was not very clearly visible there.
If you can easily take few pics of the joint that would be great.
I am not sure the two undertrays were just joined with the screw, or if the screw also held on to something on the car itself...?

Last edited by Jaroslav Záruba; 07-03-2024 at 08:27 AM.
Old 07-03-2024, 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by ctsemicon
Jaroslav, in my particular case, I found that the inserts (item #11 in your first post) had worn out and become completely loose, making it a total PITA to take off and re-install plastic covers on underbody. I replaced all of them with new inserts from the following kit;
Thank you, I'm gonna look into it.
So far I've only seen what's on the video, haven't ever seen how that area looks undamaged. So I'm only guessing if just reconstructing the "torn" hole and screwing the two parts together shall be enough, or if the screw also goes into something on the car.
(I know of one XJ 50 miles from here, but that one is sitting on the ground, so that won't be of much help.)

I'm looking into getting my hands on a pair of those "wedges" to raise the car so I can see its belly for the first time with my own eyes. My service guy didn't even mention there are missing/broken screws on the car, so I'm wondering what other surprises I'm about to find.

Old 07-03-2024, 08:33 AM
Received 109 Likes on 77 Posts

This the right area?

Jaroslav Záruba (07-08-2024)
Old 07-03-2024, 08:55 AM
Received 184 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by Jaroslav Záruba
...I have seen a post with images illustrating the underbody, but this particular detail was not very clearly visible there.
Handicap #1 for me is that MOST photos on this site only render as a blur with a rotating circle of dots.
So I cannot see, for example, the one ctsemicon posted @ 9:33.
If you can easily take few pics of the joint that would be great.
Handicap #2 for me is that I cannot POST photos to this site, either! We would have to exchange 'real' emails...
I am not sure the two undertrays were just joined with the screw, or if the screw also held on to something on the car itself...?
More than 'two', and BOTH situations exist at various points.
The side or "sill" ones interlock with the wheel-well liners to name one I just got bass-ackwards and had to pull and re-do. Shudda looked at the off-side first, and am VERY glad I had not pulled both at once! I'll have some sorting by trial and error to do when I put the front under "chin" plate back in.

As to any "patching"? I'd be inclined to use rivits instead of glue, or rivits PLUS glue.

Makes it less of a factor that my "patch" material had to be of an adhesive-cooperative plastic, or even had to be a "plastic" at all.

Closest appropriate material among those I already have "handy" is clear Acrylic and clear Polycarbonate sheet - different, chemically, as chalk and cheese. Both are commonly sold for hasty 'storm window' DIY / repair. Next-best, Micarta/Formica laminate?

Also aluminium... among which the roofing flashing is too soft and thin, blank electronics rack panels too thick @ 3/32", but the material sold as "cookie sheets" - for putting baked goods into the oven - appears to be about right?

If you need "rubber" for padding or isolation, the material sold for toolbox drawer liner may suit where thin, cuts from doormats or carpet runner for thick.

Regardless.. whatever you do need not be ratty-arsed 'temporary patch' looking.

Not a great deal of 'extra' effort can make it look as good as OEM... or better... stay QUIET under rough-road -running - and surely LAST as long - or longer than - OEM.

Last edited by Thermite; 07-03-2024 at 09:24 AM.
Old 07-03-2024, 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by ctsemicon
This the right area?

Yes, the red bolt is the torn one.

damn, your car is clean 😳

Old 07-03-2024, 09:50 AM
Received 88 Likes on 77 Posts

Hey Zaroslav,

When you find your screw, I am told that I am missing at least one and a few are likely loose!. But I have no idea where to look or how to tighten! Perhaps, after this fascinating thread, you can help?

Unrelated, but where might I find that brick keeping me one short of a full load?

Carpe diem,

Steve S.

Old 07-08-2024, 08:10 AM
Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts

Jaroslav, you don't need 6, 4, or 9. Those hold the engine undertray nearer the center. You would need part 8, the side undertray. Otherwise you could try to plastic weld a piece in and install part 5 and the screw. Part 8 is not inexpensive and probably no longer available. Might be able to find one in a breaker yard.

Jaroslav Záruba (07-08-2024)

Quick Reply: A missing screw on the underbody cover