XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Momentum Jaguar of Houston?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2011, 03:46 PM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Momentum Jaguar of Houston?

Now, I know this is a question which begs the obvious answer, "duh, what do you think...bonehead?", but is their...and I know this is a ridiculous question...is their used car side "trustworthy"?

I guess the question should be phrased, thusly, "do they have a stash of polyester suits and white buck shoes in a back room? Does the movie Used Cars make you think of them?"

I work with a guy from Houston, and his mom purchased both of her S-types from the new side, and she seems pleased with both sales & service. Of course, what can be found online is not exactly pleasant, but I expect that.

I found an '06 Super V8 which is silver/ivory, and having a silver/black vehicle, now, I think the light interior would be a neat change, with 63.5K on it, asking price a bit under $25K. Chrome wheels are the only option on it, and while I'd prefer painted, if they don't have a rash, they'd do.

One owner, claim is it was a trade on a new one. No extended warranty, but it's still pretty early in its life.

From the "eBay salesman" in an e-mail:

"It is not a select edition certified pre-owned since it is out of factory warranty, but it has seen through an ez-care inspection and does qualify for an extended
warranty. Since it was run through the inspection process and passed the
inspection, everything should be working properly on this vehicle."

So what he's saying is, they washed it, vacuumed it, put shiny crap on the tires, and it managed to move itself to the current spot on the lot. "Should be" and "are" are two very different things reality.

These cars should be worth quite a bit more than they are, based on initial cost, but they're not.

Now, the red flag for me is they tack on $458 worth of bogus fees on the back end. I don't care what it's called, but if it's tacked on, it's extra profit.

"Yeah...I'd like a double-cheeseburger, fries, and a shake."

"Well, that'll be an extra dollar to wrap your cheeseburger and bring it to the counter...plus we have a straw acquisition fee on shakes..."

ADP. Additional. Dealer. Profit.

Post what you want for the car, and if it's reasonable, it'll sell. This is what I like about TCD...

Sorry...I worked for a dealer while back in college, as a salesman (shudder), for three months, and it was sleazier than I expected. Being a finance major in college, I could see exactly how "the numbers" were being adjusted. Lower payment almost never equals less out-of-pocket cost. And this was the new side of the biz.

Tell you what, not much will get a body motivated to finish school than seeing first-hand how life works for the uninformed! Had to take about 1.5 years off to pay for the last 70 hours, or so, and I positively rocketed through those!

Sorry for the tangent.

I asked about *any* rock chips, even if re-touched, blemishes inside or out, what tires were on it and what the tread depth was (I want a freakin' number, too, like 9/32nds), any loose trim, any hail dents (hey, it's Texas), door dings, scuffed/worn/torn leather, essentially anything, regadless of how minor it may appear. The saleman isn't the one who's gonna live with it for a decade, y'know?

I'd offer $20.5K, and not spend more than $22.5K out-the-door, maybe $23K if it's immaculate, which they probably wouldn't take, but knowing the absolute killing made on trade-ins, they'd be doing just fine.

Thanks for reading...

Old 03-24-2011, 04:11 PM
Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

LOL..

Silver with tan interior makes me shudder...

Old 03-24-2011, 04:14 PM

It looks less like tan and more like off-white...at least in pictures.

The piping is listed as 'dark tan', which puts me off a bit, but while I like a dark interior, I'd also like to see some of the "personality" in the leather.

I need to find one with that color interior, locally, and give it a look-see, first.

edit: I looked at a white car, today, with a 'champagne' interior, and that is close to 'tan'.

Last edited by mckellyb; 03-24-2011 at 06:44 PM.
Old 03-24-2011, 05:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 484 Likes on 405 Posts

Silver cars should have black interiors! :P

Old 03-25-2011, 08:14 AM
Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

you sure its not silver with light gray interior? Looks damn near white in pics.. Better than tan color wise but I still shudder thinking of my kids on that color leather.

Old 03-25-2011, 08:45 AM

The only color interiors for the Super V8 in 2006 were charcoal (black, been in it), champagne (really light tan, seen it through a closed window...pass), and ivory, which I've not yet seen, but I gather it's off-white.

We have no kids, so that's not a problem. However, the carpet is dark brown, the plastic door sill trim is dark brown, and the piping is a really dark tan.

Were it really dark gray or black, I'd be fine with it, but I still have a severe aversion to tan after the 1980 F-100 heap-o-junk I owned as vehicle #3. Traumatizing, it was.

Dove is available for 2006, but not on the Super V8, VP, or Portfolio. I'd be down there this weekend, if it had been.

Old 03-25-2011, 09:58 AM
Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by amcdonal86
Silver cars should have black interiors! :P
I tend to agree...

Old 03-25-2011, 10:26 AM
Veteran member
Received 1,151 Likes on 753 Posts

I purchased my 03 from Momentum in 2007, it had the select edition warranty on it already. They did not budge from their price either, but I didn't really haggle or give much indication that I was going to walk away from the deal. The experience was overall, very good. Paperwork had to go back and forth from Ft Worth, and they were really easy to work with in that regard. I did have to call and 'remind' my salesman about the nav DVD that was missing, and promised to me in writing in the contract...but it eventually arrived maybe 3 weeks later.

We've got several members in the Houston area, I'm sure if you asked for volunteers to go look at the vehicle, you could probably find one easy. We have a jag tech on the forums that might be able to do a personal inspection for you, not sure about the protocol involved there, but that's an option also. Maybe an inspection fee paid to him personally would get you a thorough, unbiased, 'off the dealer-records' report. If I were closer, I'd help you out.

BTW, in TX, silver cars should only come in the Ivory or Dove. When you can't sit down on the seat after leaving it it he parking lot for only a couple hours in this heat...you'll quickly change your tune my former yankee neighbors.

Old 03-25-2011, 10:32 AM
Received 2,192 Likes on 1,358 Posts

Or you could have a tech that works at momentum go out and look at it in the parking lot
like the one thats on here daily

Old 03-25-2011, 10:59 AM

Well, that one is gone, so it's a moot point.

Yeah, having been in Vegas before here (though I'm a Dallas native)...while I like a dark interior, summer can be downright unpleasant.

I think the fact this purchase will be a used vehicle means I will wait for a local one.

Even Houston is too far to go, find out they're not going to budge on ADP (Additional Dealer Profit), and leave.

Thanks, everyone!

Last edited by mckellyb; 03-25-2011 at 11:02 AM.
Old 03-25-2011, 12:32 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,151 Likes on 753 Posts

keep looking kelly, though your specific choice of a super V8 in silver may be hard to come by locally..its not a high production model, and may very well require you to travel, or take a small risk on a car when another one surfaces on the used market. On any one search on cars.com, I just checked, and ran across maybe a dozen super v8s across the country, where 5 of those are strangely silver, but nowhere near TX...and all above $29k. good luck though!

Old 03-25-2011, 01:01 PM
Received 56 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by mckellyb
I asked about *any* rock chips, even if re-touched
Just a basic FYI, the first thing many quite reputable dealerships do to a car they are getting ready to sell is to sand down and spray the front bumper. (Almost every car out there hits the lot with all sorts of rock chips). Properly done, there are no signs the paint is not original and it makes the car immediately look so much better. Most dealers do not "reveal" this fact as it is not considered unethical or innappropriate to prepare the car in this manner. In fact, if I am looking at a nice, late model car on the lot, and the front bumper is all chipped up, I am leaving, for this tells me the dealer did not care enough to put less than $100.00 into the vehicle before showing it.

Old 03-25-2011, 01:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 484 Likes on 405 Posts

$100 for a proper front bumper repaint? Pffffbbbt!

Old 03-25-2011, 06:34 PM
Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts
Default You got lucky when you didn't buy that car!

You were lucky that it sold. My experience with Momentum was a nightmare, if it was a choice between buying a used Jaguar from them or a used Hyundia Sonata from someone else, I'd take the Hyundai.

Here's the link that describes my experience with them:-
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...r-today-39650/

Avoid, avoid, avoid. Texas Cars direct is the way to go.

Old 03-25-2011, 07:59 PM
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Come on up to Dallas and shop at Texas Cars Direct with total confidence. I have bought 2 Jags there with no haggling, fair prices and great selection. Probably won't do too well on trade-in values there because they deal only in late model year, pristine-condition luxury cars. So sell the old one yourself if you can.

Now that I think of it, you can check out their entire inventory in considerable detail, with prices, online. They even list those expected to be received in the next month or so. Take a look.

I am not in any way affiliated with them and they didn't make me any "special" deals. I just happen to like their straight-forward integrity in selling only mear-perfect vehicles.

Old 03-25-2011, 09:40 PM

Thanks, Alvin.

I've been to TCD, first back in the early-90's when the Q45 was a great machine.

I've since been back to look at an '05 Super V8 they had, and that car essentially sold me. After a bit of research, I think I'll hold out for an '06, or later, if I can afford it. I'll wait.

I look at their site, well, daily. Y'never know, and I always have my credit union's "this guy has "X" amount of money to give you via a loan from us" on me as well as a laptop and wire instructions.

My car is not a trade-in of any sort. It'll go to a local high-school kid, more than likely, which is fine. It's a tank of a Mercedes, so it'll give it's life for a good cause.

Tim, I haven't read your account, yet, probably will tomorrow, but just my minor communication with them gave me more than pause.

Old 03-25-2011, 10:13 PM
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

This looks like what you are looking for although probably a bit more than you want to pay.

Old 03-26-2011, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by MidlifeXJR
This looks like what you are looking for although probably a bit more than you want to pay.
Thanks for that! I think it's priced more than a little high, honestly.

I found it a few days back, and while Austin is closer, traveling to haggle with a used car dealer isn't going to work out well.

44K miles is nice 'bout 8,100 mi/yr, but I don't think it's worth that. I'll just wait for a TCD, but will keep my eyes open, otherwise.

Old 03-26-2011, 10:57 AM
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by mckellyb
...therefore how much they may be willing to ****er... just be willing to walk!...
Looks like the sensoring program has gone amuck! I was just attempting to utilize a very common term for negotiating that just so happens to have a similarity to Richard's common nickname!!!

Last edited by MidlifeXJR; 03-26-2011 at 11:08 AM.
Old 03-26-2011, 12:59 PM
DB6
ud
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

too ****ing funny !
Time to relax and get some Dikkins Cider.
Evidently you only get picked on if you have good grammar and can spell,lol.

Last edited by DB6; 03-26-2011 at 01:06 PM.

Quick Reply: Momentum Jaguar of Houston?