XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

more questions on potential purchase

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2012, 05:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 444 Likes on 281 Posts
Default more questions on potential purchase

I'm sure you're all tired of seeing these "I'm looking to buy a... " but I really appreciate the feedback I got in my last thread on this topic!

So I'm one step closer to buying an x350. Went to the Jag dealer at lunch today to sit in a LWB (was an '05 VDP) and see what I thought about head and leg room. Very nice! Much more room than my Eldorado. Really impressed with the interior. Didn't have time to take a test drive, but will do that when I'm closer to actually buying.

My question, how are the transmissions for reliably on these models? I've read about the need for a dealer reflash of the PCM for bad shifts, is that the extent? Should I be looking for fluid/filter changes every 25 or 50k miles to prevent problems?

What kind of brakes do these use, semi-metallic or ceramic?

I should have taken note, but are the tires the same front-to-back, or are the rears wider? I have to go look up some tire prices, I'm sure with an 18" rim they are something I will not want to replace often!

Thanks,
-Michael

Last edited by mhamilton; 01-16-2012 at 05:48 PM.
Old 01-17-2012, 05:22 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,450 Likes on 1,948 Posts

Transmissions are mechanically reliable, this is a ZF gearbox, after all ! However the TCM can need its software updating following fault messages. I have had one update for this, and another to cure a peculiar hunting syndrome driving whilst the engine is warming up. The latter reload was not as a result of a fault message. Generally, most people don't change tranny fluid very frequently, but there is a process for doing this, although some dealers will try to tell you otherwise. Jaguar advise it only for cars subject to more than normal driving conditions, but don't say what these are ! I would have thought 75k+ miles rather than less although other replies may be more pessimistic.

Brakes are pretty standard stuff, unless you get the XJR with its italian Brembo brakes which are very expensive to maintain and repair.

Tyres the same on all wheels, but most available tyres are unidirectional, so no swapping wheels from left to right. Spare wheel is a space saver normally, limited to 50 mph if used.

Old 01-17-2012, 10:59 AM
Veteran Member

Thank you! That is certainly good to know. I can deal with a PCM flash, but don't want to be pulling a trans otherwise.

I was looking at tire prices online this morning, I'm shocked! I just paid more for tires on my Cadillac (16" rims) than I would have for the Jag 18" rims! Wow.

What are your thoughts on buying one with higher mileage? Ideally I'd like to get something around 50k miles on the odometer, but the dealer had some with 100k miles for half the price. Clearly there's a tradeoff, but how do these cars do with mileage like that? I know I would never buy a Cadillac with 100k miles, that would just be asking for trouble with everything.

Old 01-17-2012, 02:08 PM
Veteran Member

What are your thoughts on buying one with higher mileage?
A lot depends on how you are going to use the car. If it is more of a weekend outings, and limited weekly use, then a high miler can be a good and very economic buy. However, if it to be a 15k per year car, then I would go for lower miles. Other thing is to check (even low milers), the previous owner(s) maintained the car properly, and got any repairs done. So many people just put off doing repairs until the next poor guy has to spend a fortune on a huge list of jobs.

When I was a young man a 50k car was high miles, and a 100k car was close to scrap, or a miraculous survivor. Now we expect them to go to Mars and back without anything needing doing !! I think if you stick to 50-76k miles you should be OK, but remember it will have needed a new air compressor in that miles, they are a short life component. If replaced recently you are OK for about another 30-40k miles.

If they are looked after these cars can run the marathon, no doubt about it, but need looking after properly.

Old 01-17-2012, 02:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,202 Likes on 933 Posts

Jag is as reliable as any car in that segment; especially the engine.

Brakes are cheap. 8 quarts oil with $15 oil filter... Transmission fluid swap is under $400 at an indy shop. Key is getting with a good indy shop that will keep you on track with maitainance without screwing you over. Couldn't give any more praise on how well my car has run up the 87K on the odometer. AC and heat rock, electronics work like they would on a Toyota.

The forums make most cars look like gloom and doom since many don't post "Nothing new, car is running fine once again."

Old 01-17-2012, 03:15 PM
Veteran Member

The forums make most cars look like gloom and doom since many don't post "Nothing new, car is running fine once again."
How true !! When I had my Mazda Xedos 9, (called a Millenium in the US), I thought it was a paragon of reliability, and it really, really, was. Then I looked at the Millenium forum and saw what faults I could have experienced !!

Old 01-17-2012, 08:06 PM
Veteran Member

Oh absolutely! I know how the car forums go lol. Been on the Cadillac forum for years, and every other post on there is someone with blown Northstar head gaskets. My car has had almost no problems, all things considered (knock on wood).

I'm glad to hear the brakes are standard parts, not that I go through them that often. I'm mostly trying to gather as much info as I can to make an informed decision. It does seem from reading that the air suspension is the main weak point on these models, and I will take that into consideration when buying. I appreciate the help

As far as use and mileage, it would be my daily driver. These days I only drive about 20 miles a day, so probably not 7,500 miles a year. I would definitely like to get something near 50k miles. I guess I know that after 100k miles everything else starts to need replacement (bushings, rotors, ancillary components, etc) just from wear and tear, even if the car is only 5 years old (I've also noticed that at the 10 year mark, regardless of mileage, is when maintenance needs take a nosedive!). I'll certainly look carefully and pick one that strikes the best balance between price and mileage.

Old 01-17-2012, 08:47 PM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Check on your insurance. Some companies fear the expense of an all aluminium monocoque chasis car, where others appreciate the modular aspect of the replacement body panels. Their rates will reflect it.

My VDP is an '01 with right at 100,000 miles on it. Only repair outside of regular maintenance has been the fuel pump replacement at about 90,000 miles. It ran about $600. With the exception of needing new foot well rugs, my black beauty still looks and drives like it's brand new.

Old 01-18-2012, 09:32 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by mhamilton
It does seem from reading that the air suspension is the main weak point on these models, and I will take that into consideration when buying. I appreciate the help
I think the air suspension is an issue on all marques that use them which is about all luxury cars.

Old 01-18-2012, 11:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,268 Likes on 694 Posts

I have on 05 VDP that I bought when it had 22K miles. It now has about 67K on it. So far it has needed:

battery
throttle body (dealer says a common failure around 50K)
torque converter (engine RPM was slightly surging around 50mph)
trans firmware (flashed 2X)

also had some sort of coolant leak near radiator

I was lucky that I had the extended warranty so all covered except battery.

Tires cost me $700 installed for a set of the 18" OEM continentals.

Brakes I did myself for about $300 new rotors and pads.

Regardless, this is the best car I have owned so far. It is my 3rd Jaguar. First two were S-Types.

The only outstanding issues I have are the rear shade not retracting smoothly and the headliner is starting to loosen but only under the visors which I find odd.

Old 01-19-2012, 06:51 AM
Veteran Member

That's a good point, I should get a quote from my insurance.

What was the original warranty on these cars? I saw one XJ8 with nearly 100k miles on the dealer lot, said it still had warranty left on it. Not that it matters too much to me, I do all my own work, it'll just be the annoyance of having to buy parts.

Oh, was remote start an option on these cars? And did Jag still do the heated windsheild in these years?

Old 01-19-2012, 08:12 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by mhamilton
Oh, was remote start an option on these cars? And did Jag still do the heated windsheild in these years?
Remote starter is aftermarket. I think the heated windshield is just heating elements near the wipers. Would like to know for sure. One option if you live where there is extreme heat or cold is the double paned glass. I think it came on 05+ as an option.

Old 01-19-2012, 09:13 AM
Veteran Member

My original warranty ended at 50K but I have the select edition extended warranty which runs till 100K.

Mine has the winter package and the windshield is fully heated with embedded element. If you look closely you can see the fine wires.

Old 01-19-2012, 12:55 PM
Received 255 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
One option if you live where there is extreme heat or cold is the double paned glass.
Actually, double pane or laminated glass has been around for awhile. The first automotive type was manufactured by a British Company and used by Ford back in 1939 or so. Has been standard on most US autos for awhile.

You might be refering to a triple layer glass with 2 layers of plastic?

Old 01-19-2012, 12:57 PM
Veteran Member

I believe the XJ started using triple pane in 2006