XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Motor running rough & grinding noise - dealer stumped!

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2012, 11:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,383 Likes on 1,493 Posts

Originally Posted by jayf1981
Learning a lot catching up on this thread however, not sure exactly what but I'm still reading.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/i...n_clapclap.gif
My issue persists and as soon as I have an update, I'll get this back on track...

Old 01-27-2012, 05:19 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 716 Posts

Right guys, I have done my best to separate the two threads and created a New suspension thread for Jsedita74.

Hopefully I got it mostly correct and we are now back on track with two different threads.

Some of you will note that you have had maybe one or two posts deleted, this is NOT punitive action, but was purely because that after the move they were irrelevant to the thread.

I hope this helps, and that jahummer can soon provide a 'happy' update.

Last edited by JimC64; 01-27-2012 at 06:12 AM. Reason: I used the "THANKS" Button here as a gesture of appreciation!!
The following 2 users liked this post by Translator:
jahummer (01-27-2012), JimC64 (01-27-2012)
Old 01-28-2012, 11:22 PM
Veteran Member

I don't know if this is of any value, but since I will be too busy probably for a few weeks more before I can visit the other Jaguar tech, I tried something else.

At a stop, in drive, motors idles at 600 RPM, increasing RPM only makes vibration worse. Sometimes I notice RPM drop to 400 when I roll to a stop and motors shudders but recovers to 600 quickly. Vibration persists with or with out AC or other loads. Any additional loads just make it worse.

In neutral, increasing throttle introduces similar if not same vibration @ 1200 RPM, gone at 1400, back at 2600.

FWIW

Old 02-01-2012, 10:44 PM
Veteran Member

On multiple occasions today I noted that after about a minute after coming to a stop, the RPM kept dropping to 200 causing the car to vibrate significantly more than it vibrates at 600 RPM. It would go back up to 600 and then dip back down to 200, but not at every stop.

Old 02-02-2012, 05:30 AM
Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

It sounds almost as though the mixture is becoming too lean. Have you checked to see if there is an air leak around the plenum chamber or inlet manifold?

Cheers,

Languid

Old 02-10-2012, 08:50 PM
Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

just a shot in the dark here, but I had a similar situation once that turned out to be a loose crank pulley. I think I would pull the serpentine belt to eliminate all crank loading possibilities and see what happens with the drive / neutral test

Old 02-10-2012, 10:07 PM
Veteran Member

Thank you for the suggestion, but all belts, pulleys & tensioners were replaced a month ago.

Old 02-11-2012, 07:28 PM
Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

did they replace the crank pulley? If not, was it inspected? I would still do the belt off test. it seems there are 2 things going on, crankshaft loading and / or transmission loading. Isolating one of those things may help in reaching a conclusion. just my 2 cents.

Old 02-21-2012, 06:33 PM
Veteran Member
Default Update

Met with a Jaguar tech today. Did not tell him too much. AS soon as he started the car and shifted to reverse, he observed an abnormal vibration as well the noise I have mentioned here before. He took it for a test drive and believes that it could be the transmission or torque convertor.

Any thoughts?

Old 02-22-2012, 08:09 AM
Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by jahummer
Met with a Jaguar tech today. Did not tell him too much. AS soon as he started the car and shifted to reverse, he observed an abnormal vibration as well the noise I have mentioned here before. He took it for a test drive and believes that it could be the transmission or torque convertor.

Any thoughts?
What did he suggest you do to isolate the issue? You know I am waiting for you to figure this out so I can fix mine!

Old 02-22-2012, 10:01 AM
Veteran Member

I hope to speak with him today about it.

Old 02-22-2012, 11:12 AM
Received 973 Likes on 644 Posts

Any thoughts?
Hmmmmm!

Transmission -- 10%
Torque Conv -- 35%
Flexplate -- 55%

Old 02-24-2012, 02:24 PM
Veteran Member

Car is going back to the original Jag dealer on Tuesday to have ALL rear suspension components replaced under warranty (when I changed the rear rotors and pads I discovered all the bushings were shot and leaked and I do mean all), why they didn't notice this in November boggles my mind.

Anyhow, they would like to "double" check the motors mounts and transmission components.

To be continued...

Old 02-28-2012, 03:19 PM
Veteran Member

Jaguar still can't figure it out but now they think the noise is from the super charger and within spec.

They do feel the vibration and shudder but cannot pinpoint it. Of course WDS says nothing.

They think there may be dirty injectors and run a cleaner though the fuel
System for $150.

Thoughts?

Old 02-28-2012, 03:27 PM
Veteran Member

By the way the product they use is Wynns.

Old 02-28-2012, 04:05 PM
Received 973 Likes on 644 Posts

Jaguar still can't figure it out but now they think the noise is from the super charger and within spec.

They do feel the vibration and shudder but cannot pinpoint it. Of course WDS says nothing.

They think there may be dirty injectors and run a cleaner though the fuel
System for $150.

Thoughts?
I can't dispute what they are telling you, especially long distance, but I do question the idea of the supercharger. You are in an area that experience and detective work is the only thing that will pay off. It is a problem that touchy-feely or listening first-hand is the only way to go.

I will say this, as far as fuel system or injection cleaning goes, for maintenance type service we use BG products. For diagnostic or corrective injector cleaning in house, if fuel trims are high positive, we use Valvoline SynPower run directly through the injectors. If the trouble is beyond the scope of that type cleaning, we pull the injectors and send them to Linder's Fuel Service here in Indy to be cleaned, flow tested and balanced. That's the ultimate repair, and Linder is known nationwide as the best in their business.

I don't really like knocking products, but we were talked into using Wynn's injection products some time back by a supplier. Those of us that do diagnostic work made mgmt. throw them out and get us SynPower back. It just didn't work. We'd run the stuff through the system and saw virtually no impact on the high fuel trim problems we were trying to address. The BG stuff works rather well for maintenance use, running it through the tank. It may have been you I recommended it to some days ago.

Just a few thoughts........

The following 2 users liked this post by xjrguy:
jahummer (02-28-2012), Languid (02-29-2012)
Old 02-28-2012, 07:02 PM
Veteran Member

I very much appreciate your feedback, as always.

The dealer is still stumped but agrees something is not right. I do not fault them because I do not think they have ever encountered such a thing before.

I did speak with the advisor about doing a proper cleaning but he said it was too cost prohibitive to disassemble everything to pull the injectors. OF course he claims the Wynn product works great but does not guarantee it.

If I do not get this sorted out before then, I will be up in the Cincy area in May and would try to meet with you.

Otherwise, unless an obvious failure occurs, we're still tilting at windmills to a degree...

Old 02-29-2012, 08:37 AM
Veteran Member

Service advisor left a message this morning. They performed the injector flush yesterday and claim it has solved the problem. Of course I have not driven it yet, but we'll see. Waiting on warranty inspector to come today to approve replacing the rear suspension. All of the bushings are dissintegrating and leaked but Jaguar thinks it won't be covered by warranty as the bushings to them are considered cosmetic.....

Old 03-01-2012, 04:10 AM
Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Service advisor left a message this morning. They performed the injector flush yesterday and claim it has solved the problem. Of course I have not driven it yet, but we'll see. Waiting on warranty inspector to come today to approve replacing the rear suspension. All of the bushings are dissintegrating and leaked but Jaguar thinks it won't be covered by warranty as the bushings to them are considered cosmetic.....
jahummer, Excuse Me?

I presume that he also thinks that things such as springs, door handles, parking brakes, lights, air conditioners, & alternators (just to name a few) are also 'cosmetic'?

I know what I'd be telling him he does with his mother if he pulled that one on me!!

For my money, they are mechanical components of the motor vehicle essential to the normal use & enjoyment of the vehicle being the purpose and reason for which you purchased said vehicle (jj, help!!).

Non- Bast-ardium Carborundum (take the hyphen out & re-read) - very bad Latin for "Don't let the Bast -ards Grind You Down" (sorry 'bout that, but the system will blankety blank the written word otherwise, and the expression from my Air Force days loses its effect)

Cheers,

Languid

Old 03-01-2012, 10:11 AM
Veteran Member
Default Problem solved?

Picked up the car this morning and the vibration is gone..perhaps the Wynns injector cleaner worked?

Quick Reply: Motor running rough & grinding noise - dealer stumped!