XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Motor running rough & grinding noise - dealer stumped!

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2012, 07:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,383 Likes on 1,493 Posts

Originally Posted by steveinfrance
Please can you give the type number and source for these plugs?
Bosch 9607 iridium electrode platinum ground Advance Auto Parts dot com Buy Bosch Iridium Spark Plug 9607 at Advance Auto Parts + coupon code ccabin + mail in rebate http://www.boschautoparts.com/Promot...bpad_11_OL.pdf

The following users liked this post:
steveinfrance (05-11-2012)
Old 05-11-2012, 04:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 716 Posts

Keeping my fingers crossed for you jahummer.

I kind of feel sorry for the chap who decides to search the forum for info' on spark plugs and drops into a 160 post thread before finding the info'. LOL

Old 05-11-2012, 10:25 AM
Received 973 Likes on 644 Posts

Originally Posted by jahummer
I wish Jaguar had not told me to wait to 100k on the plugs, as you say, I think 60k is about right.

I do have to correct you on one point though, both the IFR5N plugs I pulled and the Bosch I replaced them with have platinum grounds. When I spoke with NGK tech support they said the platinum gives them the 100k service interval, with just steel and iridium he said half that life.

The Bosch plugs were only $7 each less 40% coupon less mail in rebate made them a really good deal.
Y'know, I'm not surprised at that actually. They keep progressing with technology and lower cost, and when a part number changes you never know the real reason. Unless it's something knock-you-in-the-head obvious it gets by you. Honestly, being a dealer, I so seldom service spark plugs that I've not picked up on that apparently. That's one of the things I get out of this Forum, some of you guys are such bulldogs on getting to the bottom of issues with your car, that you hit on things I never would.

We like two-way streets, yes??

PS.....that's a helluva deal on those plugs!

Last edited by xjrguy; 05-12-2012 at 05:59 PM.
Old 05-12-2012, 03:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 716 Posts

We like two-way streets, yes??
Absolutely YES.

Thank you for your continued support xjrguy, we all appreciate it.

xjrguy (07-06-2012)
Old 05-12-2012, 06:16 AM
Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

jahummer, xrguy,

I wish we could get those prices here in Australia. We pay more than that for Platinum plugs!!! Even on ebay, Platinums' are close to $8 each if you buy 8 plus postage.

Cheers?

Languid

Old 07-05-2012, 06:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,383 Likes on 1,493 Posts

Since so many have been following this thread, I thought I would continue to post updates and progress.

Due to XJRGUY's knowledge and keen interest in this issue, I decided to drive to his dealership last week. First off, I must note Steve's knowledge and genuine love of these cars reminds me very much of virtuoso, like Van Cliburn.

Anyhow, Steve took the better part of a day to analyze two things, the RPM idle drop and decreased MPG. Taking into consideration everything the other Jag dealer had done he came to 2 somewhat simple conclusions: there is an air leak on bank 1 including around the newly installed throttle body causing the engine management to compensate by adding more fuel and an obscure error in the VAPS computer located in the instrument cluster providing inaccurate data and therefore incorrect RPM compensation.

Rather than replace the instrument cluster he re-flashed the software hoping this would solve the problem (note: in my line of work most hardware failures can be attributed to software corruption despite the fact some people are quick to assume it is the equipment that needs replacing).

After a week, so far no RPM irregularities and for the most part the car is "purring" like a kitten. I can't say it is 100% perfect as I believe the vacuum leak is contributing somewhat. So off to the original dealer who installed the throttle body!

In the meantime I must note it was well worth the trip and I am very pleased with the results. It is quite a relief to finally work with someone who knows what he is doing!

Stay tuned....

xjrguy (07-06-2012)
Old 07-05-2012, 07:06 PM
Received 6,337 Likes on 5,522 Posts

Thanks for the update, sounds like progress. Kudos to Steve.

The following 2 users liked this post by Norri:
JimC64 (07-05-2012), xjrguy (07-06-2012)
Old 07-06-2012, 02:49 PM

Since so many have been following this thread, I thought I would continue to post updates and progress.

Due to XJRGUY's knowledge and keen interest in this issue, I decided to drive to his dealership last week. First off, I must note Steve's knowledge and genuine love of these cars reminds me very much of virtuoso, like Van Cliburn.

Anyhow, Steve took the better part of a day to analyze two things, the RPM idle drop and decreased MPG. Taking into consideration everything the other Jag dealer had done he came to 2 somewhat simple conclusions: there is an air leak on bank 1 including around the newly installed throttle body causing the engine management to compensate by adding more fuel and an obscure error in the VAPS computer located in the instrument cluster providing inaccurate data and therefore incorrect RPM compensation.

Rather than replace the instrument cluster he re-flashed the software hoping this would solve the problem (note: in my line of work most hardware failures can be attributed to software corruption despite the fact some people are quick to assume it is the equipment that needs replacing).

After a week, so far no RPM irregularities and for the most part the car is "purring" like a kitten. I can't say it is 100% perfect as I believe the vacuum leak is contributing somewhat. So off to the original dealer who installed the throttle body!

In the meantime I must note it was well worth the trip and I am very pleased with the results. It is quite a relief to finally work with someone who knows what he is doing!

Stay tuned....
Wow……where to start?

First, thank you not only for the glowing review, but also for taking the time to come here and fill everyone in. There have absolutely been many folks watching and contributing on this thread.

I am very relieved that the course of action we took may have made some improvement. Like I said, your possible visit was both anticipated and feared. So glad we didn’t come up completely empty. I guess time will tell. Now if you can just get to the bottom of the air leak we found……..

Bear in mind I don’t think the throttle body itself really enters into the equation here. It appeared to me the air was entering down low, below the area of the throttle body; possibly at the seal/gasket between the induction elbow and the supercharger. We also know there was leakage noted at the front, which would probably mean at the joint between the RH intercooler and the cylinder head. See the areas marked on the attachment. Unfortunately, we can’t completely discount any of the joints you see in the diagram at this point.

I’m going to sit and sweat a little longer until you come back after a further period of time and tell us the idle has been consistent. Then I’ll be happy.

Thanks again, and good luck with the hunt! I’ll be ‘round if you need anything. I'll stay tuned.......

Cheers,

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
AJ33 Induction.pdf (128.3 KB, 161 views)

Last edited by xjrguy; 07-06-2012 at 02:51 PM.
Old 07-09-2012, 05:00 AM
Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Just finished the belt TSB today. Noise is still present with A/C compressor on and gear in drive, noise goes away in neutral or if you remain in drive and turn off the compressor.

However the vibration appears to be minimized.

Hi all, have relocated to Auckland NZ for my business

Jahummer,

Anyone checked the magnetic clutch on the compressor? There is a bearing in back of those, and since the compressor can take 9 or so HP to run, loading up that bearing when it is faulty can be a bit noisy. I haven't been able to follow the thread, had my hands full the last few weeks, so sorry if it's already been suggested.

Cheers,

Old 07-09-2012, 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by Languid
Hi all, have relocated to Auckland NZ for my business

Jahummer,

Anyone checked the magnetic clutch on the compressor? There is a bearing in back of those, and since the compressor can take 9 or so HP to run, loading up that bearing when it is faulty can be a bit noisy. I haven't been able to follow the thread, had my hands full the last few weeks, so sorry if it's already been suggested.

Cheers,
That is something I looked into and checked with a stethoscope when I had jahummers car. Did not notice anything abnormal there. Good thought though.

Cheers,

Old 07-09-2012, 04:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,456 Likes on 1,952 Posts

The compressors on these cars are clutchless, yes really ! The pump action is varied using a swash plate.

http://delphi.com/pdf/contact/brochu...ompressors.pdf

Apparently, use of these compressors means cars with smaller engines can run air con much more easily, as the compressor doesn't suddenly "thump" in and upset the engine control.

The following 2 users liked this post by Fraser Mitchell:
Jag XJ8 Red (07-11-2012), ooootis (07-12-2012)
Old 07-11-2012, 01:35 PM
Banned
Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts

Didn't know that!