XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Moveable / adjustable pedal fix!

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2017, 05:53 PM
Received 26 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Moveable / adjustable pedal fix!

Hello all,
My name is Chris Curless, I own an auto shop in Grand Rapids Michigan. Several years ago I bought a Mercury Marauder with adjustable / moveable pedals that did not work. After searching and reading about the issue I decided to fix it. Took my assembly apart, found a broken plastic gear, designed a new metal gear, and had it made. This gear fixed the issue for all Ford Panther platform cars.
A year or so later I was contacted by a person about fixing the pedals on his Expedition... the Navigator / Expedition had a similar gear with a different thread count, so I made that one as well. Here again fixed the problem permanently.
Fast forward to a month or so ago and a Jag owner contacted me about the gears that I was making. He explained that his Jag had a similar looking gear to the one he saw on ebay that I sell so he bought it, how ever it did not work. So I sent him out the other gear (the one for the Panther Car) and it was EXACTLY the same as the Jag gear. Once installed, his pedals worked as if they were new.
So if you would like to repair your pedals with out having to buy some ridiculous priced assembly let me know!

616-988-1315

If this post in any way against site rules or regulation PLEASE let me know immediately, as I do not wish to break any rules. Thank You.

The following 6 users liked this post by Curless Auto:
clifton94 (05-24-2017), hisport (05-31-2017), luv2fly (11-06-2023), Rudedog (07-31-2017), sukhoy1972 (01-17-2024), Wingrider (11-03-2023) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 05-24-2017, 07:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 798 Likes on 670 Posts

Welcome aboard, lots of good people here, exchanging all sorts of info. Would think if a part from any other car is fair game, a part made by someone we know will work, should be a real plus.

Old 05-24-2017, 08:34 AM

I have verified that Ford was a major stock holder of Jag at the time this set up was used. Their supplier for the pedal assemblies from Canada made the assembly in these Jags as well. If I can help out, I'll be glad to.

Old 05-24-2017, 09:42 AM
Veteran Member

How much just to have one on hand b4 it's needed, for a 2004XJ8?

Old 05-24-2017, 02:01 PM

$85 shipped to your door in the USA

Old 05-24-2017, 03:33 PM
Received 87 Likes on 71 Posts

Curless -
How would you want to get paid?

Old 05-24-2017, 06:46 PM

Paypal is preferred. mer@curlessautorepair.com is my paypal. PLEASE include what car you have and make sure your ship to address is correct.

Old 05-29-2017, 06:34 PM

I was going to buy one of these, just on speculation. However, today on my recently-acquired 2006 XJ8-L , I tried moving the pedal position for the first time. Only about a half inch or so of travel !!! I guess I will be ordering one of these gears sooner rather than later.

Old 05-30-2017, 06:17 PM
Received 43 Likes on 30 Posts

Let us know how it works out. Mine only moves 1/2 inch but its in the right position. I may buy just to have it working.

Old 05-30-2017, 08:32 PM
Veteran Member

I'll have to look at mine now.

Old 05-31-2017, 06:17 AM
Received 183 Likes on 103 Posts

The pedal move thingie on my 07 XJR doesn't work, but I have not looked into it yet

Is this gear the typical failure point? Much involved in replacing it?

TIA

Old 05-31-2017, 07:06 AM

I've tried to post links to our Facebook page but for some reason I can't. Please go to Curless Auto Repair and look through our photos, there are step by step instructions on how to do this repair on a Panther platform Ford car and on Expedition / Navigator. Each in their own album. I'd be glad to do one on a Jag if anyone lives near Grand Rapids Michigan or is willing to make the drive I'll repair your car for free if I can do a pictorial with your car.

Old 05-31-2017, 09:19 AM

I have been trying to get to your photo collection. It does not seem to be accessible from your web site. I am not a facebook member, and would not join just for this purpose. Now, usually one can **view** a facebook page without joining, but have not been able to find yours. Maybe you can PM me your FB address? Thx.

Old 05-31-2017, 09:50 AM

I directed you to Facebook because my website is no longer maintained... I do not know why you can't view it on facebook without being a member. I just tried it by not logging in, did a page search and got right to it. This site will not let me link to facebook for some reason... even the link in my stats in the upper right corner does not work... I promise, Curless Auto Repair is on facebook!

Last edited by Curless Auto; 05-31-2017 at 09:59 AM.
Old 05-31-2017, 09:38 PM

I finally figured out how to get to the picture albums. The repair is more complicated that I thought ! I did have one major question though. In Step 21, the brake assembly has to be synched to the gas pedal, as per text below. My question is, what is to be aligned with what? I presume the mark is the vertical stamped line. Does that align with the right side of the brake arm? The left side of the brake arm? The pivot attached to the brake arm? If the latter, the center of the pivot, the right side of the pivot, or what?

21. Now you need to line up the pedal so that when we install it we are synched with the gas pedal distance wise. look at the right hand side of your pedal assembly, there is a mark / notch on the side right above the slide for the pedal. You need to adjust your gear so that the pedal is exactly lined up with this mark. You do this by simply threading the gear.

Attached Thumbnails Moveable / adjustable pedal fix!-brake-synch-annotated.jpg  
Old 06-01-2017, 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by Boomer from Boston
I finally figured out how to get to the picture albums. The repair is more complicated that I thought ! I did have one major question though. In Step 21, the brake assembly has to be synched to the gas pedal, as per text below. My question is, what is to be aligned with what? I presume the mark is the vertical stamped line. Does that align with the right side of the brake arm? The left side of the brake arm? The pivot attached to the brake arm? If the latter, the center of the pivot, the right side of the pivot, or what?

21. Now you need to line up the pedal so that when we install it we are synched with the gas pedal distance wise. look at the right hand side of your pedal assembly, there is a mark / notch on the side right above the slide for the pedal. You need to adjust your gear so that the pedal is exactly lined up with this mark. You do this by simply threading the gear.

This is a write up on a Panther platform car... I already stated that I have not done the repair on a Jag... I can't answer your question due to never seeing your exact mechanism nor a Jag to do the repair on.

Old 06-01-2017, 08:04 AM

OK, fair enough. But on the Panther platform car, what were you trying to align to what? That should be helpful re the Jaguar repair.

The following users liked this post:
hisport (06-01-2017)
Old 06-01-2017, 08:58 AM
Received 183 Likes on 103 Posts

Curless (and Boomer) -

Great that you're doing this! Wish I lived closer to Grand Rapids...

Old 06-03-2017, 12:29 PM

As near as I can tell, the adjustable pedal assemblies for brake and accelerator are not treated anywhere in the shop manual. Is that correct, or have I missed it somewhere?

Old 07-26-2017, 07:47 AM

No, they are simply replaced by the dealer so there is no coverage of how to take them apart.

Quick Reply: Moveable / adjustable pedal fix!