XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Moveable / adjustable pedal fix!

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2017, 09:09 AM
Received 87 Likes on 71 Posts

Chris -
I'm out your way bright and early next Tuesday for my appointment, and so we'll see how difficult the brake adjusting gear replacement ends up being for Jaguars. I did take the lower cover off below the steering column for a different repair, and the mechanism is clearly visible.

The following users liked this post:
Curless Auto (07-26-2017)
Old 07-26-2017, 09:20 AM
Received 26 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Boomer from Boston
Chris -
I'm out your way bright and early next Tuesday for my appointment, and so we'll see how difficult the brake adjusting gear replacement ends up being for Jaguars. I did take the lower cover off below the steering column for a different repair, and the mechanism is clearly visible.

We'll see you next Tuesday, hopefully we can get ya in and out in no time.

Old 07-27-2017, 09:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 798 Likes on 670 Posts

Naturally, too complex for anyone to understand, just replace it with a new one, we gotta keep the place open.

Old 07-27-2017, 11:49 AM

By the way - does the pedal adjustment have to be set or reset, in the same way that the windows do? That is, move the control to one extreme and hold it, then move it to the other extreme and hold it. I was surprised to learn that you have to do this with the windows.

Old 07-27-2017, 02:32 PM

By the way - does the pedal adjustment have to be set or reset, in the same way that the windows do? That is, move the control to one extreme and hold it, then move it to the other extreme and hold it. I was surprised to learn that you have to do this with the windows.
I have no idea, it's Jag thing...

Old 08-01-2017, 12:23 PM

Chris -

Guess your not coming in today... thanks for letting me know...

Old 04-07-2018, 08:28 PM
Received 150 Likes on 95 Posts
Default Did a Jaguar owner ever make their way to your shop?

This tread ended rather abruptly, like a great story that ended right before the best action scene. Arrrghhh! I was thrilled to finally get a pictorial, steps on repairing the adjustable pedals. I am on my 2nd X350 and as soon as I got it it, it was perhaps the 2nd thing I checked before purchase.

I am sure SOME cars must still have the pedals working, but my theory is that the "auto" setting that moves pedals, seat and wheel on each ingress/egress does more wear and tear than are worth it. I shut this feature off on my cars to avoid this, but also in common was PO letting these motors run on every entry into and out of the car. The MOTORS are quite durable, the pedal mechanism, not so much.

So. I will continue the hunt. I would love to just fix this. I have an obsession with everything working as designed. Unless these were designed to fail, lol!

Next stop, The Facebook page described above. If anyone has experience, or knows of a DIY with pics, I would be most appreciative to learn more!

Old 04-08-2018, 08:38 AM

I don't know of Chris Curless still follows any of this. I did make it to his shop last summer, as one leg of a road trip from Massachusetts to Illiniois, then Michigan, and then home.

Anyway, the fix scarcely took 20 minutes. You do have to remove a trim panel, but once that is done everything is accessible. Depending on how limber you are, you might want to unbolt the front seat from the floor and move it back temporarily. I don't think I ever put the trim panel back - you can't really see it unless your head is on the floor looking up. The reason for the failure is that the hub of the plastic gear splits and no longer turns the axle it is mounted to.

My adjustable pedals have been working flawlessly ever since.

Old 04-08-2018, 09:07 AM

Chris did take several pictures during the repair. I don't know if he still has them.

Old 04-09-2018, 09:33 AM

I chased down the photos that Chris Curless took while he did the repair. They are only on Facebook, at:
https://www.facebook.com/Curless-Aut...1715342187651/
Then if you look at his "all photos" section, I believe my repair starts about 180 pictures down ( ! ). Rather than counting pictures, you can click on any picture and see its upload date. My repair took place on August 8, 2017, so look for 8 pictures with that date. The photos are in order of newest first, so the repair starts at the bottom of the sequence, lower right to upper left. Unlike some other vehicles, on these Jaguars the repair can be done entirely within the car, without having to mess with the brake linkage or master cylinder or any of that.

Old 04-09-2018, 11:16 AM
Veteran Member
Smile

Looks like a GREAT FIX!!! Have yet to look at mine, as i seldom ever move the pedals, & do not use the memory positions of things. No use putting the wear & tear on things that are not really needed, imho. That way things seem to last a lot longer.

Old 04-09-2018, 11:18 AM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I did this repair on my 2004 VDP using Chris's gear. Repair was pretty straight forward, with the exception of synchronizing the brake pedal height with the accelerator height.
My brake pedal had been disconnected to allow the other pedal to work. I guessed at the relation in heights, and it turns out the brake pedal is a bit too low in relation to the accelerator pedal. I may go back in and readjust them but they work flawlessly, and I have gotten used to the present heights.

Curless Auto (04-09-2018)
Old 04-09-2018, 11:19 AM

I'm still around, not much interest in the fix so I don't post. If anyone is interested I do have them in stock...

Old 04-09-2018, 11:43 AM
Veteran Member
Smile

Great to know; Will probably need two eventually, unless P O had it done which is not very likely. Just not there yet, with the addition of the second XJ8, the first one running great, & the codes finally gone, have hardly started on the less important issues. Now it will have to wait till the newer one is road worthy, to look into the more or less comfort issues of both. Both need to be road worthy first.

Old 01-08-2020, 05:24 PM

Just stopping in to say hello... I've had a few calls in regards to these gears lately. Yes, I'm still making them. They $95 shipped for now... USPS pricing changed, I no longer have them on Ebay due to their fees for listing and selling. Oh, and let's not forget paypal has their hand out too! 616-988-1315 is the shop number if your are interested. Happy New Year!

The following 3 users liked this post by Curless Auto:
dukeflyer (03-08-2020), Jaroslav Záruba (11-04-2023), Tigre (11-11-2023)
Old 03-08-2020, 02:09 PM
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Phantastic! What a great thread and what a solution! Since my pedals don’t work curless will certainly get another call next week

Old 03-09-2020, 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by dukeflyer
Phantastic! What a great thread and what a solution! Since my pedals don’t work curless will certainly get another call next week

Got your pm, responded. Thank you for your interest!

Old 03-09-2020, 10:49 AM
Received 150 Likes on 95 Posts

I have been in touch with Curless a couple times,and pleased to find out he still has these. I appreciate the time and effort he put into a fix that doesn't break just using the feature normally. (major fail - I'm looking at you: Ford!) That they KEPT on producing and installing these in multiple vehicles when, at some point they must have known they break quite easily and often. BOTH X350's I have had were broken. Here is the question - for me anyway: How much of a contortionist do you have to be to get this task done? I am... let's say "mobile, but not as mobile as I used to be when I was more mobile" Working in an X350 foot-well is not impossible, but neither is it comfortable if you have to spend considerable time in there.

For anyone who has done this, how bad is it?

This is also a great argument for turning OFF the "Auto" setting that runs the seat motors, the steering column motor and the Pedal motor on each and every exit/entry into the car. That little assist puts a LOT of wear and tear on motors for little return, IMO.

Old 03-09-2020, 03:08 PM
Veteran Member

Just ordered one for the 07 today.
I will let you know after i put it in how it goes.
Just finished installing the clock spring last week.
It should be easier to install than that was
Went to his facebook page, & looked up the details on how to install it.
Looks like a pretty straight forward installation.

Jaroslav Záruba (10-28-2023)
Old 03-22-2020, 06:45 PM
Veteran Member

Not a bad job, pretty straight forward, the directions, with pictures were helpful.

Quick Reply: Moveable / adjustable pedal fix!