XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Much Ado About Brake Pads!

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2013, 08:43 PM
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Angry Much Ado About Brake Pads!

2005 Jaguar XJR...Why is it so hard for me to find brake pads?! I tried Auto Zone THREE TIMES, got different pads, and all wrong each time. The closest was one for an XKR, but they seemed to be about a quarter inch too thick. Idk if i'm stupid, but the caliper pistons seem to be fully pushed in, but they will not go in at all. One bolt on the back of the caliper was stripped because Jaguar is retarded and decided aluminum bolts are a good idea. After giving up there and going to Advanced for different, but still wrong pads, I tried online (I needed them fast, so in store was best choice. Looks like i'm stuck driving the Land Rover for now)
Anyway, after some research, I found that the dusty pads I have now are Brembo pads, I found these redstuff 'dustless' ceramic pads. I KNOW amazon says they will fit the rear, but so did two other computers at auto parts stores. I just want to check to see if anyone knows for sure that these are the right pads, and if they are any good (I hear they are a little noisy, but no dust and stop great) Thanks!

Amazon.com: EBC Brakes DP31140C Redstuff Ceramic Low Dust Brake Pad: Automotive Amazon.com: EBC Brakes DP31140C Redstuff Ceramic Low Dust Brake Pad: Automotive

Old 07-29-2013, 09:22 PM
Received 192 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by Adam78
2005 Jaguar XJR...Why is it so hard for me to find brake pads?! I tried Auto Zone THREE TIMES, got different pads, and all wrong each time. The closest was one for an XKR, but they seemed to be about a quarter inch too thick. Idk if i'm stupid, but the caliper pistons seem to be fully pushed in, but they will not go in at all. One bolt on the back of the caliper was stripped because Jaguar is retarded and decided aluminum bolts are a good idea. After giving up there and going to Advanced for different, but still wrong pads, I tried online (I needed them fast, so in store was best choice. Looks like i'm stuck driving the Land Rover for now)
Anyway, after some research, I found that the dusty pads I have now are Brembo pads, I found these redstuff 'dustless' ceramic pads. I KNOW amazon says they will fit the rear, but so did two other computers at auto parts stores. I just want to check to see if anyone knows for sure that these are the right pads, and if they are any good (I hear they are a little noisy, but no dust and stop great) Thanks!

Amazon.com: EBC Brakes DP31140C Redstuff Ceramic Low Dust Brake Pad: Automotive
Sort of a bass-ackwards means of vetting the fit, but I pulled those up, cranked in my own 2005 XJ8-L as target vehicle, and got a do NOT fit response, thence off to s different selection, reds, blues, yellows, and greys - that all supposedly DO fit mine.

I think that is a positive thing, as it seems to indicate their database is working as it should be.

That said, any chance your own brakes were ever altered from factory-issue - perhaps not to the 'hard core' Brembos, but some compromise in-between OEM and full-competition?

Old 07-29-2013, 09:40 PM
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Thermite
Sort of a bass-ackwards means of vetting the fit, but I pulled those up, cranked in my own 2005 XJ8-L as target vehicle, and got a do NOT fit response, thence off to s different selection, reds, blues, yellows, and greys - that all supposedly DO fit mine.

I think that is a positive thing, as it seems to indicate their database is working as it should be.

That said, any chance your own brakes were ever altered from factory-issue - perhaps not to the 'hard core' Brembos, but some compromise in-between OEM and full-competition?
There's always a chance they were altered. But the calipers have the XJR logo on them, look original, and the car has the original wheels and Jaguar stamped sport suspension shocks. So I assume everything else is just OEM. The black and white cutout looks like the same shape that my current pads are. But the XKR ones I got were the same shape, but seemed to be a little too thick. I was wondering if maybe someone put a fat cheap-o rotor in there once during a brake change?

Old 07-29-2013, 10:26 PM
Received 192 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by Adam78
There's always a chance they were altered. But the calipers have the XJR logo on them, look original, and the car has the original wheels and Jaguar stamped sport suspension shocks. So I assume everything else is just OEM. The black and white cutout looks like the same shape that my current pads are. But the XKR ones I got were the same shape, but seemed to be a little too thick. I was wondering if maybe someone put a fat cheap-o rotor in there once during a brake change?
Could have been an 'Ex pensive-O' attempted upgrade rotor.

But I would FIRST make uber-certain all pistons were FULLY backed into their respective 'oles. Seldom dead-easy, that bit.

Old 07-30-2013, 04:45 AM
Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

I'm told (have been through this) that the brakes differ according to chassis number.

my local ordered Brembo discs and red pads, but the fitter said as soon as he took the wheels off that they were wrong. Mine are larger and non-Brembo (and of course more expensive and a special order). The disc is ventilated but not drilled. Part no is not shown on my invoice, sorry. The old discs lasted about 60k miles which I have heard is not unusual.

If you look at the Brembo website you will find they do not list disks for the later XJR, though they do have pads. They list discs for the other XJs.

http://bremboaftermarket.com/En/Car_...ueBrand=Brembo

Incidentally, I ended up with dusty black pads

Last edited by PigletJohn; 07-30-2013 at 05:01 AM. Reason: trying to make the link work
The following users liked this post:
biggieslicky (08-04-2013)
Old 07-31-2013, 03:23 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,151 Likes on 753 Posts

On my superv8 (same brakes as your XJR) I simply replaced the OEM with Akebono Euro Ceramics, part nos. EUR938 front, EUR592 rear. Mine, however, only had smooth rotors...no slots or dimples. If I had to replace the discs, which I didn't when I changed out the pads, I was prepared to purchase a set from www.brakeperformance.com for around $205 front, $156 rear. I've installed their rotors on another vehicle, and was impressed with the quality and performance.

Old 08-04-2013, 02:59 AM
Received 60 Likes on 41 Posts

If your caliper look like this...

Then

Front EBC redstuff #DP31462C
Rear EBC redstuff #DP31140C

Attached Thumbnails Much Ado About Brake Pads!-2013-06-14181044_zpsb22b0f56.jpg  
Old 08-04-2013, 07:37 AM
Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts

My 2004 XJR looks just like Casper's caliper, but I have what I believe to be the original front discs. They are not drilled or slotted, but simply ventilated. Per the prior owners service records they have been turned one time at 55K. I would also look at Rock Auto for pad and rotor replacements. The caliper pistons should retract to the point that they are flat with the caliper, if they will not, the caliper may need rebuilding. Sometimes it takes a fair amount of force to fully retract calipers. Rock Auto offers rebuilding service with your original caliper for Brembo brakes.
RyeJag