XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Multi media control unit

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2019 | 08:27 PM
|
Veteran Member
Default Multi media control unit

Where is the multi media control unit module located in the 2005 Jaguar Super V8?

I do not mean the control "keypad" unit in the arm rest.

Can anyone show me the wiring diagram for the whole rear entertainment system?

The reason I am asking is that in the next day or two I will be receiving all the seats from a Vanden Plas which include the monitors in the front seat headrests and maybe the keypad control unit in the rear center arm rest.

My car has the ICE fiber optic connection in the trunk however I am not expecting any other ICE connections any where else. I have not looked yet.

IF I wanted to get ICE working I know I would need a media control module and the armrest keypad module as well as a DVD player. Those items are easy to get however the cabling not so much.

Last edited by jackra_1; 07-01-2019 at 07:40 AM.
Old 07-01-2019 | 08:09 PM
|
Veteran Member

Ok found the electrical diagram for ICE.

What is likely to be the stumbling block is the wiring harness connections for the video controller.

I do have the D2B ICE connector by the module supporting frame in the trunk, which I am using for VACM, but I do not remember seeing the

FIVE connectors for the video controller module when I was last in there. I think they would have been very obvious.

So why did JLR provide an ICE D2B connection and not the other required connections?

Old 07-02-2019 | 02:45 PM
|
Veteran Member

So took out the rear seats and I did find connections under the seat.

Now I have to find some connections under the front seats.

Also will try and remove the BT D2B cable if I can snake it thru everything. I am presuming it either goes to the head unit or somewhere in the center console.

I would like to use it for something else.

Old 07-03-2019 | 11:37 AM
|
Veteran Member

So far I have discovered that there are no spare connections left in the trunk for power supplies.

Also found that the ICE D2B connection is connected to the ICE D2B connection under the rear seats next to an open power connector.

I presume these will connect to the VDP rear seats I hope to get this afternoon.

No idea what is under the front seats in the way of connections yet.

The seats I am taking out of the XJR are in great condition so these VDB seats I hope will be very close and not in bad shape. Difficult o tell in the Ebay pics wich
were not great pics.

Old 07-03-2019 | 04:38 PM
|
Veteran Member

Seats arrived and so far quite pleased. Look in very good condition so far. Have not totally unwrapped.

The center armrest ICE control pad is present. I was kinda surprised to see that however I am very pleased to see it.

The heated seat wire connectors were cut on the seat side rather than the car side so I either have to source new connectors or take my original off.

Other connectors were cut on the car side thank goodness.

The black flat connector and cable on the car side I have to source from somewhere and in all my searches I have not see anything like it at all.

Old 07-10-2019 | 04:32 PM

thanks for taking this on. Very interested to see how you progress. Good luck

The following users liked this post:
jackra_1 (07-10-2019)
Old 07-10-2019 | 09:17 PM
|
Veteran Member

It is going to take a while.

I have to find a complete trunk wiring harness from an XJ that had ICE installed.

The video control module has a complex connector that integrates the system into the car as a whole and it is this connector that provides power.

I do not understand why my car has some connectors for ICE but not others.

One connector under the rear seat apparently does not have power. I do have the fuses in place so its not a fuse.

I have seen a suggestion that JLR SDD will be needed to "activate" the system.

Auto salvage yards are mostly just interested in cutting out modules and not so much wire looms.

I am contact with a couple but it's going to be a long wait I think.

Last edited by jackra_1; 07-10-2019 at 09:20 PM.
Old 07-11-2019 | 10:16 AM

Wish you were nearby as I would be happy to let you come take a look at my setup. It would be a good learning experience for me too.

I've this installed, but the DVD doesn't work anymore. My kids used to use it to play music, but they're both in college so nobody sits in the back anymore, thus it never gets used.

jackra_1 (07-11-2019)
Old 07-20-2019 | 02:55 PM
|
Veteran Member

Update on where I am today.

I spent a long time driving myself crazy redoing my D2B links in the trunk. Took a few iterations to get it right.

I now have power to the armrest control "keypad" and can control the sound as if I was at the head unit.

I hooked up the 20 pin video cable from one front seat to the receptacle coming out of the rear of the rear seat armrest however the screen in that seat will not power on.

What puzzles me is that the video control unit that fits behind the back of the lhs rear seat has only two 20 pin receptacles and there are a total of three 20 pin plugs. Two from the front seats and one from the rear armrest. So I have no idea how they are supposed to connect.

The wiring diagram appears to show three 20 pin receptacles in the video control unit. Every picture that I have looked at of an XJ 2005 video control module shows only two such receptacles and a more complex/ larger receptacle that I assume also includes power. I have one of these and it does not provide any clues as far as I can tell.

Kind of a mute question at this point as I have no power to the video control unit or to the DVD player which does plug in to the video control unit.

Last edited by jackra_1; 07-20-2019 at 04:00 PM.
Old 07-28-2019 | 08:08 PM
Default Switchpack and cable

jackra_1 (07-28-2019)
Old 07-28-2019 | 08:13 PM
|
Veteran Member

Okey I think I have that. What I am seeing is the rectangular portion coming out the rear of the armrest.

So that still leaves three 20 pin connectors. One from each headrest and the one above. And only two 20 pin sockets in the video controller.

It looks like I have all connections in my existing wiring harness except the multi pin power connector for the video control module.

Seems very odd that was not supplied along with the other connections.

Last edited by jackra_1; 07-28-2019 at 08:16 PM.
Old 07-28-2019 | 09:20 PM
Default Is this what you have?

All are 2 pin except the small odd shaped one?

Old 07-29-2019 | 07:02 AM
|
Veteran Member

Yes exactly.

My dvd player lead plugs in to that odd shaped socket.

I am thinking that the larger rectangular socket on the far right is the power connector with other connections into the trunk wiring loom for other functionality.

Where on your wire loom does that connector plug originate?

If I knew that I would know where to look on my loom although I think I have conducted an exhaustive search already.

Last edited by jackra_1; 07-29-2019 at 07:52 AM.
Old 08-03-2019 | 09:32 AM
|
Veteran Member

An update on my progress or rather lack thereof.

I have abandoned my OEM approach to the rear multi media in my car.

I have been regularly searching for cables that are required to connect all the modules for an OEM installation with absolutely no luck at all even from Jaguar dealers.

The system absolutely will not work without being able to connect the video controller.

In my search I came across a used set of Audiovox tv/dvd headrests with all required cables and manuals. at about a third the price of new.

I am going to take out my existing screens and try retrofitting the Audiovox units.

At least I can get refunds, less shipping, on the items I purchased on Ebay.

Old 08-03-2019 | 11:03 AM

I'm sorry to here that you're "giving up", But I'm glad you have found another solution. As a way to recoup some of the money you have spent. I have a friend you might be interested in the OE headrest and the connections in the seats. He already has an OE system, but thinks the wiring o headrest might be faulty. PM me if that sounds like something you'd be interested in.

Old 08-04-2019 | 12:34 PM
|
Veteran Member

I started dismantling the rear of my drivers seat in order to get at a couple of things.

The first item is because I discovered the hardest control was not working. I could hear the motor but the head rest was simply loose and if I raised it manually it would simply drop down.

Inside the back of the seat is a flat green apparatus where the head rest poles/supports plug in either side and they were unplugged so plugged them back.

No power so cannot test yet. Manual says one should disconnect the battery in case of air bag deployment.

The second item I needed to get at was the cable going up into the screen.

Bad news here is that I am going to have to cut the cable in order to pull it through the left hand headrest pole/support!

The issue I will face now is whether I can pull the cable for the Audiovox units thru the support poles.

The other thing is that just for the heck of it I plugged ear phones into the multi media "key pad" in the armrest and was able to select radio channels as well as either the multi disc DVD changer or the single DVD player in the head unit and play a DVD even as the multi disc changer was playing a DVD.

Last edited by jackra_1; 08-04-2019 at 12:40 PM.
Old 08-04-2019 | 01:40 PM

Sometimes cutting cables is the only way to remove them. However, if you cut them so that they can be re-soldered, they can still be reused.

Old 08-04-2019 | 01:45 PM
|
Veteran Member

I aim to leave plenty of cable either side of the cut for that purpose.

Old 08-05-2019 | 02:47 PM
|
Veteran Member

One OEM headrest screen with cables so far.

The cable comes down the rear of the seat halfway and joins to the cable that ends with the rectangular Mitsumi cable connector.

The Audiovox units came in and they have two cables each of which runs down each of the hardest supports. The OEM Jaguar unit just has the one.