XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Must be living right

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2017, 03:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 203 Posts
Default Must be living right

I thought I had a leaking rear strut. Air compressor running a lot on initial drive through neighbor hood. Kicked in on freeway a little also.
Last weekend I before to church and a couple other short trips. Looked Monday and the rear of car was really high, like fender six inches above tires on both sides. Front looked low.
After sitting all week the rear came down a little and front up. Looked normal. Drove to work today and compressor kicked on twice in 45 minute drive. A week ago it would have kicked in 5 - 10 times. Especially after sitting for five days.
Has my luck changed?

Old 03-31-2017, 06:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 342 Likes on 260 Posts

Your compressor kicking or not may depend on the temperature outside, I don't know what they are in the Houston area.
In my case, I have an important leak when temperature goes below 6°C (I know it's on top of the front left shock, I can hear and feel it), triggering many compressor kickings. Above that temperature, the leak seems to heal and the compressor practically does not have to work significantly.

Old 04-01-2017, 07:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 203 Posts

I think it was a temperature related problem. Leaking started after a below freezing weekend. Since we have had some 80 - 90 degree days and the leaks remained.
A month ago the drivers side rear would drop first. Pulled trunk liner and sprayed with soapy water. Never spotted any bubbles on either shock.
The rear raising up was my first sign it quit leaking. Back end stayed up for several days. The rear was about 3 inches higher than normal. Level from side to side too. The driveway slopes and the car was leveled out.
I have a RMT rebuild. Been sitting in the garage. Cannot tell which to change.
I put a Meissler pump on six months ago. It is louder than the original. Easy to tell if it is running even on the freeway.