XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

My 09 XJ Exec

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2018, 06:13 AM
Received 29 Likes on 14 Posts
Default My 09 XJ Exec

Hi Everyone,
So I am an XKR Conv. owner from that Forum, was my first Jag for 30 years, but I started with Daimler Sovereign back in the day then moved away from Jags completely, but I needed a day car, a more reliable motor as I seem to spend a lot of time fixing the XK, and more fuel efficiency too, but I love my XK, so what did I buy to compliment that car?
So now making up for lost time with this bad boy, 2.7 L Diesel Exec fully serviced up with new cam belts, it's a beaut, my garage is now complete and I am a happy bunny
Anything I need to know? I do have a question though, I must of pressed a button or something in this space ship as the doors won't lock with the fobs anymore? Just so much to learn about this car, although very similar interior and layout to my XK, there's a ton more gadets to deal with!

Attached Thumbnails My 09 XJ Exec-xj.jpg  
Old 03-28-2018, 12:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,456 Likes on 1,952 Posts

Being last of the line of the X350/358 cars, most of the issues of the early 2003-2005 cars have been dealt with, but being a diesel, it does come with its very own issues, the two main ones being the DPF, and also the EGR valves.

The DPF has a regeneration cycle, but users doing a lot of short, low speed, journeys can still suffer clogging of the DPF that usually ends up with it being replaced. A few longer journeys every couple of weeks or so usually keeps the DPF in good order. Then there are the EGR valves that also clog-up. There are two of these, one per bank of the V6 engine, and most shops are reluctant to clean them out, much preferring to swap out with a new one.

Apart from this, the only issue that has never been dealt with is the short life of some of the suspension bushes. The bushes at the bottom of the air spring units are notorious for wearing out early. Then there are the bushes in the rear lower wishbones. Now in earlier times, when Ford owned Jaguar, they really gouged customers on spare parts. These wishbones were originally priced at £460 each !! You'd think they were made by old craftsmen smoking meerschaum pipes, in wooden huts deep in the Black Forest. Fortunately the price of these parts is now considerably lower, like about half. Whilst wear can be detected fairly early on, (like in the 30-40k miles range), I was advised last year by a main dealer technician that slight wear can be present for many miles and MOTs before it becomes a failure item.

The other suspension bush that wears out is the front trunnion bush on the front lower wishbone. The allows tow-out, so early wear announces itself as wear on the inside part of the tyre tread. Yet at rest this tow-out may not be detected. Essentially, once you notice the tyre wear it is a matter of replacing the bushes or the tyres.

The following users liked this post:
PeterG (03-30-2018)
Old 03-30-2018, 10:16 AM
Received 29 Likes on 14 Posts

Thanks a lot, I love the car! Will make sure it goes on a run every couple of weeks as I do live in town.