XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

My 2004 XJ8 Total Loss! Awesome car!

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2011, 09:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 483 Likes on 404 Posts

I guess the LWB models are safer for rear passengers.

Old 02-01-2011, 10:51 AM
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by MTW
Good you are ok. Coming from a structural engineer - Aluminum is much better than steel at deforming controlled and absorbing an impact.
I have been wondering if the structural properties of aluminum compared to steel. Sounds like it's better at absorbing energy. I wanted to make sure it's a safe car and I got my answer.

Back to the original post, glad to hear you are OK!

Last edited by Drew; 02-01-2011 at 10:53 AM.
Old 02-01-2011, 01:06 PM
Received 171 Likes on 141 Posts

Had an accident in mine a couple of years ago, the approved body shop told me that aluminium construction was far stronger, they are also approved for mercs, bmw's and audi they are very well known in our area as the main top repairers, the peugeot involved was totally written off and needed to be recovered, I could carry on with my trip and go to the repairers the next day.

Old 02-01-2011, 07:45 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Just left body shop saying good bye and signing over the Jag to Allstate. The Allstate Representative said that the Aluminum Jag as well as the BMW's are by far the safest cars on the road. However, because of the way they make them with Aluminum they are often total losses. But they are 40% stronger than steel. He says he knows when he goes to view one that has been in an accident that most are losses.

He said the expense of the machines to repair them and the materials is very high.

Bye Jag will miss you but will have you replaced within a couple of days.

Attached Thumbnails My 2004 XJ8 Total Loss!  Awesome car!-jag-repair-shop.jpg  
Old 02-01-2011, 09:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 119 Likes on 113 Posts

97, sorry I'm a bit late getting in with my "Gald you are okay". Hope you can find a replacement Cat before to long.

Old 02-02-2011, 07:41 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by 97Jaguarxj6
Just left body shop saying good bye and signing over the Jag to Allstate. The Allstate Representative said that the Aluminum Jag as well as the BMW's are by far the safest cars on the road. However, because of the way they make them with Aluminum they are often total losses. But they are 40% stronger than steel. He says he knows when he goes to view one that has been in an accident that most are losses.
That's good news. If my Jag ever gets in a serious accident, I want it to be totaled, not repaired. Repaired cars never drive the same. Not to mention they don't look the same!

Last edited by amcdonal86; 02-02-2011 at 07:46 AM.
Old 02-02-2011, 08:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,202 Likes on 933 Posts

I'd rather the car be a total loss than one of us being a total loss. Thank you Jaguar for managing to make safe car so darn beautiful looking!

Old 02-06-2011, 02:13 AM
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

HOLY COW! THANK GOD YOU ARE ALLRIGHT! and I ve seen so many XJs in that situation, they are pretty solid, infact according ADAC the XJ is one of the safest sedans ever built, anyway I'm glad you are alright, and I don't know how old the lady is but she won't be fine since her le sabre is wrecked. And I suggest you get another 05 or 06 XJ with low miles on it.

The following users liked this post:
97Jaguarxj6 (02-07-2011)
Old 02-07-2011, 06:22 PM

Thanks guys for all you wellwishing!

Old 02-08-2011, 04:26 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am glad you walked out OK from that accident. I hope the lady's condition will bring her back on her feets to her family and loved ones. Obviously in this part of the world traffic lights are more of a christmas tree and they are not respected at all, fortunately this makes you more aware and always double checking if you can proceed by looking at the opposing street and straight into the eyes of the other driver. As for the accident itself my experience showed me that it is a matter of inpact angle that determines the kenetic energy upon impact. My fathre's GMC suburban was tottaled upon a rather "silly" impact with a BMW 3 series. Apparently the angle in which the two vehicles were engaged allowed the BMW fender to place itself under the engine support, broke it and moved the engine upward to break the bonnet and land on the windshield while the front axle (now stripped from the engine bay) cracked into half breaking the radiator, AC, Alteranator ...etc. Both cars airbags were deployed and all passengers were safe, but the BMW ended up with a broken radiator and headlights together with few minor casualities. An accident is called so because it is something no body ever planned, but to judge a car's safety is quite hard because each accident is unique. If you think you own your safety to a Jag, well that is good to hear, then do try to buy a new Jag because they are certainly well build.

Old 02-08-2011, 09:46 PM
Default Sorry Guy I replaced the Jag with a Lexus

I know you guys wont agree with me. But I decided to replace the Jag with a LS 430.

Car and driver votes it #1 over my Jag. Jag came in 2nd. Only time will tell.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...s_ls430_page_2

She is beautiful and has more options than I can even explain. Will miss my Jag and will have one again so day.

Good luck to you all and happy motoring!

Attached Thumbnails My 2004 XJ8 Total Loss!  Awesome car!-lexus.jpg  

Last edited by 97Jaguarxj6; 02-08-2011 at 09:49 PM.
Old 02-08-2011, 10:55 PM
Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts

Just wow, and I almost bought a local 05 LS430 with only 3760 miles on it for 30k but the 1st guy to arrive on scene snapped it up.

Too bad, there a red super V* now eboy for 26ishK. Enjoy the Lex!

Old 02-09-2011, 08:54 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by 97Jaguarxj6
I know you guys wont agree with me. But I decided to replace the Jag with a LS 430.

Car and driver votes it #1 over my Jag. Jag came in 2nd. Only time will tell.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...s_ls430_page_2

She is beautiful and has more options than I can even explain. Will miss my Jag and will have one again so day.

Good luck to you all and happy motoring!
Ahahaha, I just came from an LS400. I think you will find it very reliable, but also very isolating and INCREDIBLY boring. You also won't get nearly as many looks driving around in a Lexus.

The ride quality in the LS is second to none, but the handling is not so sharp. There is a ton of body roll (I never realized this until I got my XJ).

But then again my XJ really doesn't have any notable options besides rear heated seats and picnic tables. Enjoy!

Old 02-09-2011, 01:03 PM
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I've driven many marks (family owns lots of cars) and it seems like the British ones are always the most fun to drive. They ride and handle a bit on the sloppy side (Especially my rover), but are very easy to maneuver and just all around FUN! Our 05 XJR puts a huge grin on my face when I drive it. A friend of mine told me "I don't understand why someone would own a Jag" My response was "Get in and I'll show you". I accelerated through the first corner and he said "well I can do that in my car" and then when we got on a straight away, sport mode on, and VROOM! I heard a sharp "wow" from the passenger seat and then I said "thats why".

I do not have anything against Lexus, they really do make an outstanding product, but I don't get as excited when I drive them and they do seem a bit bland. Their technology is better and the quality is arguably better, but they just don't have the personality that most European cars have. Of course, in the end it does not matter what kind of car you have. If you get excited every time you go for a drive, thats when you found the right one. Hope the Lexi treats you well!

Last edited by JagScott; 02-10-2011 at 02:23 AM.
Old 02-10-2011, 12:54 PM
Received 95 Likes on 85 Posts

Well I was gonna say thanks god you are safe, but then you had to go and buy a damned, overpriced Toyota??!?!?

Just kidding. Looks like Allstate ended up with a pretty decent parts car (the back half anyway.

My prayers are with the other lady as well, btw. No one wishes that kind of thing on anyone else. Hope she recovers nicely.

Old 02-10-2011, 01:01 PM
Veteran Member

By the way, if you are looking for a good Lexus forum, try clublexus.com. I'd say they're even better than Jaguar forums is some ways (more Lexuses = more members)!

Old 02-10-2011, 02:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 716 Posts

Originally Posted by amcdonal86
By the way, if you are looking for a good Lexus forum, try clublexus.com. I'd say they're even better than Jaguar forums is some ways (more Lexuses = more members)!
He said a naughty thing, now wash your mouth out with soap and water!!

Just kidding. LOL

There are many good forums out there, but quantity does not always equal quality, and I believe that we have a quality forum here.

You are all the guys that make it so.

@97jaguar, all the best with your new car, can't and won't criticize your choice, by my reckoning a fine car indeed.

But stick around, no need to go, we would like some objective reports over in the Non Jaguar vehicles section.

Old 02-10-2011, 03:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey, leave the guy alone. We need to be practical and treat that matter with professionalism. Lexuses are the BEST cars ever built. They are very well built and I can guarantee you they will live forever. It is a personal choice realy, and frankly speaking Jags are high maintenance and somehow 'fragile' in all aspects. However, it is like been seen with pamela anderson, one doesn't have to keep on remembering her virtues but enjoy the fact that he is being seen with her. fairly enough a nun is much more respected but try take her to a night club? Anyhow, Lexus is a better choice and I can assure you that it is a better choice than Audi, BMW and Mercedes and you will be back on that forum telling us how great it is. Lexus is nothing but a Toyota wearing a toxedo .... but again toyotas are great cars that deserve all the respect.

Good luck on your choice, mine will remain a Jaguar because it is fun to drive, for a while I expect people to call me your highness and my house gate suddenly looks like Bukhingham entrance when I am in my Jag. It turns heads, it drives ladies interested, it even makes policemen overlook my mistakes and whenever out the valet parks it next to the club entrance. for all that it is still worth it ... otherwise a Lexus is a better car everyday of the week and twice on Sunday.

My friend purchased the famous VW Phaeton for more than 100K and proud as he was for owning THE best car ever built with 12 cylinders until one evening walking out a famous Beirut Jet Set nightclub ... the valet reached for his walkie talkie and shouted ... get me the Passat !!!

Old 02-10-2011, 07:15 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Translator
He said a naughty thing, now wash your mouth out with soap and water!!

Just kidding. LOL

There are many good forums out there, but quantity does not always equal quality, and I believe that we have a quality forum here.

You are all the guys that make it so.

@97jaguar, all the best with your new car, can't and won't criticize your choice, by my reckoning a fine car indeed.

But stick around, no need to go, we would like some objective reports over in the Non Jaguar vehicles section.
Absolutely agree. The only frustrating thing about this site (in the X350 forum) is it can take a while to get a response, but when you get one, it's great!

We also have a lot of dealer technicians that there didn't seem to be on the Lexus forums.

Old 02-10-2011, 07:24 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by billodavio
Hey, leave the guy alone. We need to be practical and treat that matter with professionalism. Lexuses are the BEST cars ever built. They are very well built and I can guarantee you they will live forever. It is a personal choice realy, and frankly speaking Jags are high maintenance and somehow 'fragile' in all aspects. However, it is like been seen with pamela anderson, one doesn't have to keep on remembering her virtues but enjoy the fact that he is being seen with her. fairly enough a nun is much more respected but try take her to a night club? Anyhow, Lexus is a better choice and I can assure you that it is a better choice than Audi, BMW and Mercedes and you will be back on that forum telling us how great it is. Lexus is nothing but a Toyota wearing a toxedo .... but again toyotas are great cars that deserve all the respect.

Good luck on your choice, mine will remain a Jaguar because it is fun to drive, for a while I expect people to call me your highness and my house gate suddenly looks like Bukhingham entrance when I am in my Jag. It turns heads, it drives ladies interested, it even makes policemen overlook my mistakes and whenever out the valet parks it next to the club entrance. for all that it is still worth it ... otherwise a Lexus is a better car everyday of the week and twice on Sunday.

My friend purchased the famous VW Phaeton for more than 100K and proud as he was for owning THE best car ever built with 12 cylinders until one evening walking out a famous Beirut Jet Set nightclub ... the valet reached for his walkie talkie and shouted ... get me the Passat !!!
In my opinion, Lexuses are by no means low/cheap maintenance vehicles, not that that's what you were implying. The ones with air suspensions are just as prone to failure (and as expensive to fix) as Jaguars' are. However, they are, as you said, some of the best built vehicles ever made, and can usually last 300k+ miles without many problems--that means no engine rebuilds, and no transmission rebuilds! My LS had about 120k miles when I sold it, though, and I had a hell of a time spending lots of money repairing all kinds of suspension bushings, etc., to get it to ride like it was on a cloud.

Also, in my opinion, the Lexus LS is not a "Toyota with a tuxedo" on, even though it was sold as the Toyota Celsior in Japan until the current generation of LS460s. It was designed with its completely own platform and Toyota put $1,000,000,000 (BILLION) into research and development.

By the way, that Phaeton story is hilarious!

Quick Reply: My 2004 XJ8 Total Loss! Awesome car!