XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

My Display Looks Like A Bunch Of X-mas Lights

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2016, 01:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Display Looks Like A Bunch Of X-mas Lights

Ok where to begin… I have a 2005 XJ8L with 132k miles on it... a day or so ago a high-pitched winding noise started coming from my engine, kind of reminded me of a turbo, very loud at idle and as you accelerated the high pitch sound increased to where you eventually couldn't hear it.... Thought maybe it was a belt that needed to be replaced, no big deal, right.

Well late last night as I was driving, the display suddenly showed fault displays for gearbox fault, DSC not available, ABS fault, parking brake fault, air suspension fault, car too low… I stopped the car put it in park, when I tried to put the car back into gear, I couldn't, it was locked in park. I turned off the car hoping to reset the faults and now the car will not start. Gives a 10 second beeping noice when I take the key out of the ignition... I disconnected the battery completely hoping that this would reset the computers, unfortunately it did not, the same fault displays are present, the car is still stuck in park and will not turn over.

Suggestions…

Last edited by GGG; 12-11-2016 at 01:33 PM. Reason: Emphasise Model & Year
Old 12-11-2016, 01:32 PM
GGG
Received 16,851 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Welcome to the forum ElvisXJ8,

I've moved your question from General Tech Help to X350 forum. Members here with the same model will be able to help.

Please follow this link New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum to the New Member Area - Intro a MUST forum and post some info about yourself and your vehicle for all members to see. In return you'll get a proper welcome and some useful advice about posting to the forum.

Graham

The following 2 users liked this post by GGG:
Don B (12-12-2016), ElvisXJ8 (12-11-2016)
Old 12-11-2016, 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by GGG
Welcome to the forum ElvisXJ8,

I've moved your question from General Tech Help to X350 forum. Members here with the same model will be able to help.

Please follow this link New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum to the New Member Area - Intro a MUST forum and post some info about yourself and your vehicle for all members to see. In return you'll get a proper welcome and some useful advice about posting to the forum.

Graham
Thanks for the info… I was trying to edit the Title to be more informative but I'm new so I couldn't figure it out on this forum, at least not yet… just trying to get some mechanical questions answered from those who are much more qualified than I am.

Old 12-11-2016, 03:39 PM
Received 242 Likes on 146 Posts

First thing to do is check the status of the battery. When you have that many dash lights pop up at once, there's a good chance the battery's charge is too low. My guess would be that you slipped/broke/threw the serpentine belt off the alternator (hence the squealing), and drained the battery from not getting charge from the alternator. As to not coming out of park, I'm not sure, but charging or replacing the battery will go a long way on these cars.

The following 2 users liked this post by chillyphilly:
Don B (12-12-2016), Sean W (12-14-2016)
Old 12-11-2016, 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by chillyphilly
First thing to do is check the status of the battery. When you have that many dash lights pop up at once, there's a good chance the battery's charge is too low. My guess would be that you slipped/broke/threw the serpentine belt off the alternator (hence the squealing), and drained the battery from not getting charge from the alternator. As to not coming out of park, I'm not sure, but charging or replacing the battery will go a long way on these cars.
Thank you… so far yours is the second suggestion regarding the possibility of a battery and voltage issue…

Old 12-11-2016, 07:47 PM
NDW
Received 76 Likes on 60 Posts

You may want to check your alternator. Mine went out about 2,000 miles ago on a 160,000 mile car. Same sound was coming out of mine then all of the lights lit up. If it is the alternator, hit me with a PM if you are doing it yourself.

The following users liked this post:
Don B (12-12-2016)
Old 12-12-2016, 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by NDW
You may want to check your alternator. Mine went out about 2,000 miles ago on a 160,000 mile car. Same sound was coming out of mine then all of the lights lit up. If it is the alternator, hit me with a PM if you are doing it yourself.
Thank you NDW… The feedback I am getting here and offsite seems to be pointing to battery, alternator and voltage issues… I am hoping this turns out to be the problem as it is a simpler fix than say an air suspension or transmission issue…

Old 12-13-2016, 11:50 PM
Received 215 Likes on 149 Posts

I feel your pain. Last January I had the exact same symptoms. Thought it was the battery. Battery checked good, but only on a simple test. I didn't have a real test done on it. I should have had a full check done, to include: charging system output, battery accepting a charge, holding a charge, and load test. So I replaced a probably good battery for nothing. This was after the AAA guy said there was something going on with the charging system when he jumped it. At least I have piece of mind knowing the full history of my battery now.
My Alt screeched too. An Alt will screech for 2 reasons.
1) The battery will not accept a charge, and the car is running only off the Alt, which a car cannot do. Its drawing too much current.
2) The Alt is bad and trying to compensate for low output. The now low charged battery and car is drawing a lot from the low output Alt. Its all down hill from there.
Charge the battery overnight and have it tested. Most of the time it's the battery on these cars, as said in many threads. These cars draw a lot and have NO tolerance for weak batteries.
I had the Alt changed and all was well. Bought the Bosch Alt with a 3yr vs 1yr warranty, gave it to the shop to change as it was 15F and a PITA to swap, unlike many other cars, it is not a 15 minute swap. It's buried in there, and requires a lot to get at it. Dealer charged me 3 hrs, and was well worth it.
What? I have to support the motor, undo the motor mounts to change an alternator?

Last edited by Mark in Maine; 12-13-2016 at 11:55 PM.
Old 12-13-2016, 11:54 PM
Received 215 Likes on 149 Posts

At least you didn't have to drive home like I did in trans fault mode. Was the longest ride home I ever had.