XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

My first X350!

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2016, 06:18 AM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default My first X350!

First time here having yesterday bought a 2003 XJ6 and after one long drive, I love it!! Can't stop going outside to look...

So, the drivers door handle is sticking out at a strange angle, from google I have found instructions on replacing the cable and have a cable arriving from ebay so that should sort that problem out.

The question I'm here to ask is about phone Bluetooth. Having gone through many articles on here I can see that my car has all the right buttons but not the right components. I have found on ebay a bluetooth module apparently for this version, but I can't find any instructions about where it goes or how, and the seller just supplies the unit...Jaguar XJ X350 Mobile Phone Bluetooth Module 2W93-19K350-AD | eBay

Any clues or ideas?

also, somewhat strangely it has a minidisc player in the stereo which is of no use to man nor beast. Could I upgrade to another Jaguar system in there or not?

Many thanks for your patience, I hope to be a long time owner!!

Old 02-19-2016, 09:06 AM
Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Hi, Welcome to the forums :-)

That's actually my module for sale on ebay! There are a few articles floating around about the bluetooth upgrade. Do you have the motorola car-phone under the centre armrest?
If you have the existing car-phone then the module in the boot stack needs to be replaced with the bluetooth version, then a BTUM (Bluetooth Upgrade Module) also needs to be acquired which then plugs in under the armrest where the handset normally goes. However there is a bit of re-wiring required to make sure the correct wires connect the two modules.

There's also another way to do it which is to use the bluetooth module from a later model X-type which has all the functionality built into one module so it's easier. I posted a howto on the UK Jaguarforum but it seems to be down at the moment. I'll post a link when its working again.

Ben

The following users liked this post:
ukdeluded (02-19-2016)
Old 02-19-2016, 09:08 AM

Oh yes I forgot to say, I was aware there was a Minidisc option but never seen one, can you take a pic?
The lower part of the head unit can be replaced with either the cassette player or single slot CD player, then there's a configuration option in the head unit service menu to tell it what type of unit you have.

Ben

Old 02-19-2016, 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by benwillcox
Oh yes I forgot to say, I was aware there was a Minidisc option but never seen one, can you take a pic?
The lower part of the head unit can be replaced with either the cassette player or single slot CD player, then there's a configuration option in the head unit service menu to tell it what type of unit you have.

Ben
Brilliant that it's your advert!!! I'll take a picture in a bit for you and post it on.

I don't have the phone fixture in the arm rest. I have an Android phone at the moment, unlikely to go back to iPhone to be honest.

If I can use this to get bluetooth working for music and calls (need to get a mic I guess) then I shall buy that from you

Old 02-19-2016, 10:46 AM
Received 95 Likes on 85 Posts

Is the Minidisc setup with the Nav unit or the standard radio unit (climate controls are separate)? If the latter, I'd swap the whole thing out for a modern system. If it's got Nav, then it gets trickier. Maybe get a VenBox and futz with trying to swap out the units - you'd get streaming BT with the VenBox.

Old 02-19-2016, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by anindyam
Is the Minidisc setup with the Nav unit or the standard radio unit (climate controls are separate)? If the latter, I'd swap the whole thing out for a modern system. If it's got Nav, then it gets trickier. Maybe get a VenBox and futz with trying to swap out the units - you'd get streaming BT with the VenBox.
It's the latter, I'll be off out in a while so I'll take a picture, but climate controls are separate. I have seen a few modern touchscreen units with CD slot for reasonable pennies and was wondering about upgrading. There's the CD changer in the boot, but based on past experiences that means having the same 6 CDs for months on end. Strange listening to a single artist album as well, how times have changed....

Old 02-19-2016, 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by ukdeluded
It's the latter, I'll be off out in a while so I'll take a picture, but climate controls are separate.
In that case ignore what I said :-) sorry I forgot about non Nav systems...

Ben

Old 02-19-2016, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by benwillcox
Hi, Welcome to the forums :-)

That's actually my module for sale on ebay! There are a few articles floating around about the bluetooth upgrade. Do you have the motorola car-phone under the centre armrest?
If you have the existing car-phone then the module in the boot stack needs to be replaced with the bluetooth version, then a BTUM (Bluetooth Upgrade Module) also needs to be acquired which then plugs in under the armrest where the handset normally goes. However there is a bit of re-wiring required to make sure the correct wires connect the two modules.

There's also another way to do it which is to use the bluetooth module from a later model X-type which has all the functionality built into one module so it's easier. I posted a howto on the UK Jaguarforum but it seems to be down at the moment. I'll post a link when its working again.

Ben
Thanks Ben. My earlier reply seems to have vanished, so in danger of repeating myself but... no phone in the armrest just a boring old plastic bit!!

I'll take a picture of the minidisc bit for you, I did have one for years myself and loved the technology but binned it a few years ago

I have a double din touchscreen Bluetooth car stereo but I really don't want to go down that multi-coloured flashing bling road...

Old 02-19-2016, 11:06 AM
Received 256 Likes on 144 Posts

CD can be had relatively easily. Please see photo of what I believe you are seeking.

Thanks
-mag

Old 02-19-2016, 01:27 PM

One minidisc player, with old owners minidisc of Frank Sinatra songs!!

Old 02-19-2016, 02:00 PM

Photo uploadMy first X350!-photo647.jpg retry.

Last edited by magmedia; 02-19-2016 at 02:03 PM.
Old 02-19-2016, 04:29 PM

One minidisc player, with old owners minidisc of Frank Sinatra songs!!
I know someone who would really like this! Very rare...

-mag

Old 02-19-2016, 04:58 PM

Happy to swap it for what I need, or even for help getting the drivers door opening from the inside!!!

Old 02-20-2016, 03:21 AM
Received 134 Likes on 82 Posts

I have a spare CD drive if you need one.

ukdeluded (02-20-2016)
Old 02-20-2016, 03:49 AM

Thanks alecescolme, that's really cool. I'm intrigued by the comment anindyam made:

If the latter, I'd swap the whole thing out for a modern system.

Which modern system will fit? is it any single DIN device? Do people still make non bling ones?!

Old 02-20-2016, 06:27 AM

Happy to swap it for what I need, or even for help getting the drivers door opening from the inside!!!
Door fixed!!!!

Old 02-20-2016, 09:38 AM
Received 95 Likes on 85 Posts

Thanks alecescolme, that's really cool. I'm intrigued by the comment anindyam made:

If the latter, I'd swap the whole thing out for a modern system.

Which modern system will fit? is it any single DIN device? Do people still make non bling ones?!
I didn't look into it very much since I'm hampered by my Nav/touchscreen setup, which also handles other, non-AV stuff like climate control. Since your non-AV controls are seperated, I'd go to a stereo shop and see what your options would be. The touchscreen setup in our Jags really limits you, IMHO.

Old 02-20-2016, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by magmedia
I know someone who would really like this! Very rare...

-mag
Once I pluck up the courage to remove the stereo (it looks like quite a fiddle) or just take it to a stereo expert then your friend is welcome to the minidisc player if s/he gets in touch with me.

Old 02-20-2016, 11:50 AM

Once I pluck up the courage to remove the stereo (it looks like quite a fiddle) or just take it to a stereo expert then your friend is welcome to the minidisc player if s/he gets in touch with me.
Hey, I appreciate that...Ill pass info along.

Pulling the radio is not too bad if you like to try your self...

Unscrew shift knob
Pop wood trim from shifter area
2 torx at rear of center console
2 torx at shifter area
Slide center console/armrest to rear and lift up and away
Couple of torx bits around radio and slide forward

Lots of great documentation on the site for performing this; I have a couple of albums on ACM install if you'd like to take a look.

Enjoy-
Mag

ukdeluded (02-22-2016)
Old 02-20-2016, 12:52 PM
Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

On a slight change of subject, am I the only one waiting to see a pic of your new purchase?

Quick Reply: My first X350!