XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

My new 04 XJR is turning out to be a lemon

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2011, 10:09 AM
Veteran Member
Received 324 Likes on 276 Posts

Originally Posted by hlgeorge
Glad I don't have the HID headlamps! They seem to cause a lot of problems and are very expensive to replace. I just upgraded my headlamps to SilverStar Ultra and have more than enough light to see anywhere.
When I had these lamps, I found that they had a relatively short life (1 year or less) compared to the standard lamps. I use the Extravision which last about two years. As hard as it is to change the right side lamp in this car, I really don't want to be replacing them much. I do like the added vision but I really didn't care for the short life span.

Old 05-03-2011, 09:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 xj8 vdp

I have had the flickering headlamp problem too for about 10 months now. At first it seemed only to happen when I had them set to 'auto.' Now it happens even when set to 'on.' When the headlamps turn on, my display screen dims. When they turn off, it brightens again. Two service technicians drove it to their homes over night but neither noticed the problem. I've tried to figure out if there's a pattern like rain, heat, cold, etc.. but it happens so inconsistently. It has happened when it was very dark and quite light. It happens a lot in my parking garage at the office. I thought it might be the sensor but again, it happens when they're set to 'on.' Of course the dealership can't fix a problem they can't replicate. My extended warranty expires in August, so I'm desperate to have any and everything repaired that I can before then. I haven't tried the hard reset because I'm too scared of screwing up the electrics myself. I've read the posts on this but would be grateful for suggestions unique to my situation.

Old 05-03-2011, 11:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,178 Likes on 1,620 Posts

Originally Posted by Catwoman
I have had the flickering headlamp problem too for about 10 months now. At first it seemed only to happen when I had them set to 'auto.' Now it happens even when set to 'on.' When the headlamps turn on, my display screen dims. When they turn off, it brightens again. Two service technicians drove it to their homes over night but neither noticed the problem. I've tried to figure out if there's a pattern like rain, heat, cold, etc.. but it happens so inconsistently. It has happened when it was very dark and quite light. It happens a lot in my parking garage at the office. I thought it might be the sensor but again, it happens when they're set to 'on.' Of course the dealership can't fix a problem they can't replicate. My extended warranty expires in August, so I'm desperate to have any and everything repaired that I can before then. I haven't tried the hard reset because I'm too scared of screwing up the electrics myself. I've read the posts on this but would be grateful for suggestions unique to my situation.
Your screen dimming when on, and frequent occurences at the office are suggestive of a weak battery.

Old 05-04-2011, 07:25 AM
Veteran Member

The display dims when the headlights come on as a normal function to dim the interior lights at night. As for the flickering headlamps, it is caused by the ballasts. They are either going bad or getting low voltage. If they both started doing it at the same time, I would suspect low voltage. If only one is doing it, it is more likely the ballast.

Old 05-04-2011, 07:36 AM
Veteran Member

By the way, If both lamps flicker, start by replacing the relay, it may be going bad. These lamps pull a lot of amps and things will fry slowly, causing poor connections, a sure cause of flickering. Also clean all the connections in the circuits after checking the battery load capacity with a 1000 amp load tester (checking voltage helps, but amp capacity is critical and cannot be checked with a voltmeter).

Old 05-04-2011, 04:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,450 Likes on 1,948 Posts

Where do these lamps earth (US=ground) to ? There are three earthing points behind the headlamps, (2 on RH side and1 on LH side) and have been known to corrode and cause loads of trouble. They are not positioned very well as they get damp, salt-laden spray on them in winter. While you have a look, check out the brake pipe running along the top of the radiator !

Old 05-04-2011, 06:26 PM
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by hlgeorge
Glad I don't have the HID headlamps! They seem to cause a lot of problems and are very expensive to replace. I just upgraded my headlamps to SilverStar Ultra and have more than enough light to see anywhere.
Or you can get the HID upgrade from HIDExtra.com like I did, they outperform the stock HIDs ! and costs 60 bucks haha

Old 05-04-2011, 09:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by oldmots
When I had these lamps, I found that they had a relatively short life (1 year or less) compared to the standard lamps. I use the Extravision which last about two years. As hard as it is to change the right side lamp in this car, I really don't want to be replacing them much. I do like the added vision but I really didn't care for the short life span.
I have SilverStar's in 3 cars and have yet to replace any of them. 6+ years.

Old 05-09-2011, 02:12 PM
Veteran Member

Lucky guy! I have used them in a couple cars, with the approx 1 year life across the board.

Old 03-24-2012, 11:52 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Flicker in lights XJR

Originally Posted by Allens2004XJR
Searching this forum as well as the general 'tech advise' one, I've found multiple complaints about headlight flicker (even some from me!). There does seem to be a fairly common suggestion to check/replace the alternator/battery, but no follow up response to indicate which it worked or not. I'm thinking that I have a headlight sensor problem since all the lights go off and on together (the dash lights even flicker between day and night mode as the driving lights go off and back on). I've also got an additional problem where the HIDs (both together) get REALLY bright for a split-second then go back to normal intensity. The folks in front of me have gotta love that !
Hi I wanted to know if you ever figured out the problem because I have the same exact thing and don't know if its the sensor or whatever it could be
Thank You

Old 03-24-2012, 01:17 PM
Received 125 Likes on 65 Posts

My '04 XJR is the third car I've had with HID lights. On each one, they started flickering between 70,000 - 90,000 miles. That appears to be the life of the arc capsule (bulb.) In each case, replacing the arc capsules cured the problem. I've never had a ballast go out.

Old 03-24-2012, 02:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lemon

I had the same flickering problem problem with my '04. Replaced both bulbs and cleaned the ground connections and the problem was solved. Chances are your bulbs are now about eight years old and over the hill. After I replaced mine there was a noticeable increase in brightness.

Old 03-25-2012, 06:42 PM
Banned
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Back to the alarm problem, the culprit was the switch referred to in an earlier post. I removed it and cleaned it with contact cleaner and enjoyed a few days of peace, but finally had to delete the darn thing and jump the contacts within the connector.
Regarding the flicker issue, mine flickered on one occaision when my beams bounced off a chrome bumper on a parked car, then did so again not long after. Since then I've been flicker-free.
As for all of the various possible sources of the flicker problem, the bulb failure at the mileage interval mentioned above makes the most sense to me. They get weaker and finally just go out I guess.

Old 03-26-2012, 10:27 AM
Received 125 Likes on 65 Posts

After just replacing my HID bulbs, my advice would be to do it by taking the whole lamp assembly out of the car. It only took me about an hour or so. You do not want to break or lose anything by trying to do it with the lights in the car. Halogens can be changed this way, but I wouldn;t want to even try HID's.

Old 03-26-2012, 11:53 AM
Veteran member
Received 1,150 Likes on 753 Posts

Vito, did you at least track down your grounding points in the engine compartment, behind the lights? Seems to be the most logical cause if battery is good, you could also 'exercise' your lamp connectors, make sure they're making a good contact w/ each other...lots of voltage going through them.

Old 03-28-2012, 01:00 PM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't know about the flickering lights, but I had the alarm problem and yes it was the Hood switch. Ordered it from Nely's for about $20 and it took all of three mins to install.

Good luck

Old 03-29-2012, 07:52 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank you guys
Im going to take care of a shock problem I think the car has in front thn I'm going to check grounds
I have to take care of one issue at a time with this car because it seems like one may stem to the other
I will keep you up to date