XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

My Super V8 Portfolio - Chronological History

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2018, 03:25 PM
Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts
Default My Super V8 Portfolio - Chronological History

The Classic Car Club of America says that, a classic car is typically expensive to begin with, and produced in limited quantities. So, my 2006 Super V8 Portfolio, when it turns 30, will be worth a million dollars!!!

What a rare find, with only 145 created and sold in North America, costing $116,000 new...

Seven months ago, I paid $16,600, for a one owner, Nashville, Tennessee, 2006 Super V8 Portfolio, with only 46,000 miles on it... Seen the car on ebay - It looked ln mint shape inside and out, but after buying it, shipping it to my house, test driving it for the first time, my only reaction was: WTF!!!

But did I bring my newly bought eBay special to a Jaguar Dealer, which is about two hours away, NO!!!

But, I am pleased to say, with the help from this forum and it’s members, this 2006 Jaguar Super V8 Portfolio, with now, 50,000 miles on it, rides like new!!!! Which brings me to this post...

I put together a short chronological history, based on eleven specific posts I posted to this forum. After reading these posts, below, you will find a cost breakdown, that includes, what I bought the car for, shipping, sales tax, and all the other costs that brought it to what it is today.

And at the very bottom, you will find a couple random pictures taken with my iPhone... <grin> And pics from the original ebay listing.

*** Chronological History ***

10-08-17

I just bought a one owner 2006 XJL Super 8 Portfolio with 46,000 miles on it, in which, I hope it's as reliable as my 1998 XK8 has been ( primary and secondary tensioner and guides recently replaced :-) ). I did buy this through eBay (I was the highest bidder); I never bought a car this way and now I have to ship it approx. 1,000 miles. Does anybody have any experience with shipping a car and can offer a company that's good. I been reading up on this and it seems, it's basically hit or miss. <grin> This car is being shipped from Greenville, Kentucky to Cape Cod, Massachusetts.

The other thing is, I didn't have the car inspected, because I just joined eBay and started looking at Jaguars for sale last night and boom, seen this XJL at the 30 minute count-down stage of the bid. I did contact the seller and asked about the car, looked at the carfax and many pictures, in which, everything looks good and seller said car ride just like it was new. He is a dealer and he was been driving it himself for about 200 miles. Hope I'm not in for a big surprise, but I know this forum will be my best friend if I need help!!! :-)

10-24-17

OK, I got the 2006 XJL Super 8 Portfollio today and did all the DMV stuff and there is ‘really’ only one thing wrong with it... <grin>

Check Engine Light is ON - I went to AutoZone to have the codes read, in which, I included the codes below...Any ideas on how I should proceeded to fix this????

There are, I think, minor things i read about in lots and lots of reviews on this car like:

1) Engine or exhaust is a bit loud when accelerating while driving, but sounds cools, like the older muscle car I grow up with in the early 70’s.

2) And more than normal road noise while driving around - Maybe because the the 20” rims. It has brand new Michelin Pilot Sport tires (34 psi front and 36 psi rear)?

3) Auto Streering Wheel/Seat control freaks out sometimes - Sometimes works, sometimes doesn’t work and when off, it sometimes does the auto thing???

I been driving this car around all day today and I just love this car !!!

10-26-17

I cleaned the ‘mass airflow sensor, with this CRC spray and tapped it a couple times with the rubber handle of my screw driver, reset the codes and drove around recycling the engine off anf on lots of times and...Now the P2099 code is gone!!! What remains are only two codes with the check engine lite On.

P0051 and P0151

So, I’m thinking it’s the Bank 2 02 Sensor (sensor 1) is bad and the P2099 code was caused by the mass airflow sensor. Two separate issues???

11-06-17

OK - I swapped out the up-stream 02 sensors and the error codes moved to the other bank...Two new 02 sensors will be here this week. :-)

I bought four new Pilot Sport 4S Tires and found out I had three bent rims during installation. <grin> They checked at Jaguar what rims cost and they said it was $2,100.00 per rim. I seen one rim at TireRack for about $600 per rim, but thought I would ask here first, what is the best rim to buy for this 2006 Xj Super 8 Portfollio?

They also found that the rubber around each and every ball joint was badly ripped up, which they told me to do nothing with until they start failing. I read lots of post on this forum on this subject, but I’m thinking, every oil change I would just whip some grease around each ball joint and hope it gets in to the ball and it’s housing. <grin> Will this extend the life a bit, or should I just wait until they fail like the mechanic advised me to do?

11-14-17

Yesterday, I wrote down all the numbers on back of the spare wheel and it didn’t even click than that the size was right there in those numbers. When I read paydase’s post, I told my girlfriend, that now I have to confirm what size wheels I have and she said, “The size should be on the wheel”! And she was right...”9Jx20CHx49.0”. Now to fix the balljoints / rubber boot issue and maybe replace all the bushings - car klunks a bit only when hitting certain bumps.

20” wheels really do suck when hitting potholes. <grin>

11-22-17

I just blow out the main line that leads to the wipers for now and everything works, but I know that reservoir may have to be cleaned out in the near future.

11-25-17

Sean, Thank You!!! I just bought a Navigation DVD Module (Player) for only $90.00 on ebay, which seems too cheap, but maybe I will get lucky and it will work.

11-28-17

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian5
“Best i could find was 2010 maps for the x350 in the UK, and as we here in Scotland have just had a whole new Motorway system built, that's pretty useless, and with smartphones having GPS and real time traffic updates, it's cheaper and easier to just stick the phone to the Jag screen and use that.”

Basically, that’s what I do now, but for some unknown reason, I want to get the original navigation unit working with new maps.

11-25-17

I bought my 2006 Super 8 Portfollio back in October of this year on ebay. I only had about 20 minutes to make my mind up to bid on this car, so I took a chance and win.... I never thought the ride and the exhaust would be what it was. <grin> Looks like the previous owner went through three sets of tires and I had to straighten all the rims and bought one refurbished 20’ wheel. I did do a hard reset with the battery, like meirion1 mentioned, and I think that helped the ride and the muscle car exhaust sound some, or maybe it’s all in my mind. From what I’m reading on this forum and reviews of this car on other sites, it is what it is. I am temped to go to the 17’ wheels, like Fraser mentioned, but that would take away from the look of this car. And I know the bushings, like the control arm bushings, wear out at 50,000 mile and I have 47,000 miles on mine, bushings might be next. I am a little disallutioned with this car, but in someways, I think it’s going to be a love / hate relationship, because I really do love this car!!!

02-28-18

I’m having a clunking noise coming from under my 2006 Super V8; and when I brought it to a shop that worked on a couple of my Mercedes Benz cars, they put it up on a lift and couldn’t find any thing...I drove home and the noise was gone. The next day it came back, so they put it up on a life again, and the noise was gone again until the next day! They still don’t know what it is, but we know that putting it up on a lift gets rid of the clunking noise for a couple hours. What could it be? I’m thinking one of the shocks. I isolated the clunking noise to the front passenger side wheel, by going over speed bumps, but it does radiate to all over the car while going over bumps during normal driving. <grin>

The mechanic did say, there was some play (very little) on the front lower control arm bushings, but didn’t think that was the problem. I did tell him to check the upper shock bushing, but he didn’t want to go into taking the shock out without a new shock to replace the old one.

03-05-18

When I first heard the clunking noise under the car, mostly when going slow up to about 30 miles an hour, and got worse in colder weather, it seemed to be coming from the rear; and sometimes it sounded like I had rocks in the trunk...I replaced the rear anti-roll bar links, because the boots were ripped, which didn’t help (I think). So, from than I tried to narrow clunking under the car down, by going over speed bumps of all types, and the only clunking was from the front passager side wheel.

When I first got this car last October, the first week I owned the car, I ran over a pothole and blow out the passager side tire, which was rock hard anyway, so I bought new tires; and the owner before me, who owned this car from new, was on his third set of tires, with only 46,000 miles on the car, and all the rims were bent. <grin>. Well, the rims now are all straightened and true and the car ride ok; but my thinking is: that the car going on it’s forth set of tires, because of potholes, would be very hard on the air shocks - Going over a pothole with this car (20” wheels) is like going over a landmine!!!

But, it does seems weird, if the clunk is just coming from the passager side wheel, while driving, why does it seem like it’s coming from all over the car! I wind up turning off the radio, like being in the cone of silence, so I can enjoy the surround sound going on under my of car. <grin> I think I bought a real clunker... LOL

It would not be a big deal to change the front anti-roll bar links, and I did check the brake pad clip on the passager wheel, which seems ok; and I can press on the brake slightly while rolling over small bumps and the noise is still present.

04-30-18

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian5
“The Sway bar (anti roll bar) drop links on any car, take an unbelievable amount of abuse, the sway bar is in constant motion, and these tiny little links have a ball joint at each end, thats 4 on each sway bar, they probably move 10 times as much as any other ball joint on a car, and as the bar is linked at both sides, the movement is probably doubled again even the tiniest bit of wear on the ball joints is amplified and travels through the entire chassis, I have found myself hanging from the bar, and I'm no lightweight, pulling and pushing on it and still not found enough movement to justify the amount of clunking they produce, As I said earlier, I find these failing the MOT, (road worthiness test) on a regular basis, more often than not, every 2 years, sometimes every year, especially on rough roads. In my view they should be considered a service item and changed on a regular basis. they might be ok at a yearly service, with no clunks, but i could pretty much guarantee they will be clunking by the next service.”

UPDATE: After replacing both front sway bar links last month, something came up and I didn’t get the opportunity to drive my Super V8 until now; and I have to say: The ride now is like driving a new car!!! I didn’t know how nice this car was, with all that clunking going on - What a sweet ride!!! :-) Now I have all four sway bar links replaced.

While 99% of the clunking is gone, there is one clunk left to be fixed and it’s on the passenger wheel when going over a speed bump or going down an uneven driveway (rattle type clunk), but I don’t really hear it while normal driving. I’m leaning towards the air shock, but maybe it’s a brake pad on that wheel.

Could the brake pad spring that holds the pad on the caliper weaken and allow movement of the pads? Below is a diagram of the front brakes on this car and the spring is #12.

*** All Costs Breakdown ***

16,600 - Bought on eBay
1,400 - Shipping
1,200 - Reg./Title/Plates/Sales Tax
160 - 2 Denso NP 2349125 Oxygen Sensors
1,050 - 4 New Michelin Pilot Sport 4S 97Y XL Tires
400 - Tire Balancing/Alignment/Tire Maintenance and Protection Plan
250 - 2 Wheel/Rim Straightend
600 - 1 Wheel/Rim Reconditioned Callisto 9Jx20CHx49.0
90 - Oil/Filter Change
450 - Local Shop - Diagnose Clunking/Replace 4 Sway Bar Links
—————-
22,200 - Total Costs To Date (May 8, 2018)

WOW - Did I over pay for this car or what... LOL

*** Pics Now (May 2018) and Pics from ebay (October 2017) ***

Attached Thumbnails My Super V8 Portfolio - Chronological History-c63e7d2f-c94a-4f13-bbaa-cfd9f6e51145.jpeg   My Super V8 Portfolio - Chronological History-f4b5a310-d0fe-4d52-87be-bdd16bc03b0f.jpeg   My Super V8 Portfolio - Chronological History-27f8d430-40ef-4728-9a30-be716e01dfb9.jpeg   My Super V8 Portfolio - Chronological History-e5765f44-1993-480a-b433-81199f2e3029.jpeg   My Super V8 Portfolio - Chronological History-6ee9760e-9dbe-45dd-8bc1-4f8eaae4b37b.jpeg  

My Super V8 Portfolio - Chronological History-eda22ec2-f2f0-49c7-97f0-44cefe28c530.jpeg   My Super V8 Portfolio - Chronological History-9b0d016d-5a6f-4fc3-9c82-970edc531700.jpeg  
Attached Images    

Last edited by Aleather; 05-09-2018 at 11:11 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Aleather:
CTDavies (10-17-2023), meirion1 (05-08-2018), Panthro (05-09-2018)