XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Naso's XJR Diary

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2015, 06:45 PM
Received 163 Likes on 129 Posts

Name:  8c93579211b87686ffe14f7fa3adb5a2_zpsaqpp0k4w.jpg
Views: 245
Size:  620.9 KB

Again to show how pleased I am with my kit, here's a picture. I drove it 1,500 miles on its first trip after the install.

The following users liked this post:
Sean W (04-13-2015)
Old 04-16-2015, 02:18 PM
Received 89 Likes on 52 Posts

Little bit of an update.

I decided to just go ahead and furnish the entire suspension with new parts. Anything that needs to be changed out is.

A few posts up you will see I replaced the;

Front Suspension/Engine Cradle
Engine Mounts
Front Lower Control Arm Bushings
Inner Tie Rods Front
Rack and Pinion

**Part numbers and sources in previous posts.

NOW I am replacing;

The Entire Air Suspension ( SM Coilovers )
Rear Lower (3 bush) Control Arm Bushings
Front Upper Control Arms
Rear Upper Control Arms
Front Outer Tie Rods Ends
Front Stabilizer links
Rear Stabilizer links
Rear Tow adjustment bars ( 2x From S type 187$ XR825750 )
Front Lower Shock Damper Bushings

Ought to ride a little better....

Strutmaster sourced the Upper Control Arms / Rear Tow Arms arms for me, I WILL UPDATE with the exact part numbers.

It did end up being substancialy cheaper going with the lincoln arms

They can be sourced for around 100 GBP in the UK ( C2P13876 and C2C38957) if you can wait a week for shipping. Works out to be about the same price I paid for the Lincoln parts after the conversion.

Jaguar X350 Steering / Suspension / Bushes Parts

Lemforder does NOT list those part numbers in their catalog for the XJ series. But they are the OE for our cars ( Stype, Thunderbird, Lincoln LS, XF, X351). They are dirt cheap on rock auto but are again not listed for the XJ. If you call they will tell you they do not fit... Well I am about the challenge that.

There are several no name (oriental) parts on ebay that I suppose could be used but I did not want to go that route. Better off paying the 15% extra for known quality parts.

If anyone comes across this and asks " Why go through all the trouble of seeing if the LS parts work... "Go ahead and do some research on how much the XJ X350 Arms cost. I dare you to call your local Jag dealer and ask them for a price on part numbers -XR822290 and XR822289.

Last edited by Naso--Lituratus; 04-16-2015 at 02:25 PM.
lcmjaguar (04-16-2015)
Old 04-21-2015, 03:59 PM

The guys at Strutmasters sent me a teaser today.. I want my baby back.

How about that old coupé.

Old 04-21-2015, 04:32 PM

So what did they say about what was causing the high stance?

Looks great!

Naso--Lituratus (04-21-2015)
Old 04-21-2015, 05:14 PM

From my understanding, and next time I talk with them I will get a deeper understanding, I have been busy... It seems to have been an installation error and not a parts problem.

Something about tightening the lower arms down without them being preloaded, I was preoccupied when we spoke, so I may be butchering that explanation.. Again though, I will get clarification on that sooner than later.

Old 04-21-2015, 05:20 PM
Received 4,462 Likes on 2,427 Posts

The guy who did my suspension work told me a similar thing, did the work on a 2 post hoist, left the bolts loose, then moved the car to a 4 post with ramps and tightened everything up. "you need to tighten it up when the car is on the ground" well I guess that's confirmed now.

Old 04-24-2015, 08:57 PM
Exclamation

Update time.

Spoke with Strut masters today. Got confirmation that the Lincoln arms DO in fact fit the X350.

Just easier for me to copy over the message than to type it out.

Here is the scoop.

Here it is.

A little lower.

Just a little.

The new control arms are working just fine. Fit is great and alignment is achieved. We have completed every thing with a great ride. Of course there is always just one more thing. On our final road test we developed a knock in the drivers side front. We are chasing that now. We expect to have the car cleaned and ready for you by Monday afternoon or Tuesday.

I want to thank you for this opportunity again to work with this car.
The control arms came from World pac and are called "genuine" with the strangest part number. Yet when they arrived they had the name Jaguar stamped into the bottom of them. So the rear upper control arms for a 2006 Lincoln LS for 129.00 each are actually Jaguar control arms. How about that.

So we need to isolate and correct the noise in the left front,and will hand wash the car,dust and pollen you know, then it will be ready for you to have back and enjoy.
Have a great night gents, now we know for sure. Save you some big bucks and run up to advance auto parts next time you need an arm.

The following 5 users liked this post by Naso--Lituratus:
Cambo (04-24-2015), jackra_1 (04-25-2015), lcmjaguar (04-25-2015), motofreak72 (10-01-2015), Panthro (11-12-2016)
Old 04-24-2015, 09:03 PM
Received 4,462 Likes on 2,427 Posts

Thanks Naso for being a pioneer. This is good news for everyone.

Regarding the knock on the right front, i'm sure they will find it, fingers crossed it's not the front sway bar or sway bar bushes. Although another pioneering soul here on the forum did the hard yards and found out that you can replace the bushes without dropping the front subframe (which Jag says you need to do). https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...solved-124412/

The following 2 users liked this post by Cambo:
jackra_1 (04-25-2015), Naso--Lituratus (04-24-2015)
Old 04-25-2015, 06:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,756 Likes on 1,327 Posts

A great deal of very useful cost saving information in this thread! Thank you.

In one of my posts I mentioned a knock up front on the left when going over bumps.

When I changed my supercharger oil I took out the air filter and low and behold there was a 6" ratchet extension rolling around in there.

Old 04-28-2015, 07:32 PM
Old 04-28-2015, 07:46 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Looks great! How does it ride? I myself like more sporty ride as i have had may a modified Mustang.

Naso--Lituratus (04-28-2015)
Old 04-28-2015, 10:30 PM

Sorry about that last post, the car will be being sent back to me tomorrow.

I have been told that for the future, and my kit including, they will be using a different setup.

Apparently for our cars the KYB struts give the car a better ride, so the upgraded kits will have KYB and Eibach components, they have completed the R&D on the bypass module, and it will be included in all kits for $200.00 extra. Those pictures were sent to me just to show that they detailed the car before sending it back.

I've said it before, but man am I happy with the service I have received. I don't think I have ever had such a pleasant interaction with a company.

I think the stance is puuuuuuurfect. I have some test in mind to show ride quality. You already know I will report back.

Last edited by Naso--Lituratus; 04-28-2015 at 10:33 PM.
anindyam (04-29-2015)
Old 04-29-2015, 08:57 PM

Hop you guys don't mind if I break this post up a little bit. I am using the tablet, so it is easier for me to just multiple post rather than try to sort out the images.

Here are my old parts, not a whole lot going on here, they actually weren't as bad as I thought they were. I may try and refurbish these arms in the future.

The Tow/Tie rods are from the 04 plus S type R. Strutmasters sourced them.

And of course the Lincoln LS they also sourced.

The bushes for the lower rear arms and everything in that receipt from Rock Auto I sourced. Strutmasters covered the rest.

BEAUTIFUL.

Love those guys, if I go down the LS e46 road they will be helping me for sure.

lcmjaguar (04-29-2015)
Old 04-29-2015, 09:02 PM

Upper front LS 2006 arms, sorry I couldn't get the part number, but use your googlefoo..

Brand is visible though.

Rear upper 2006 LS Upper arms. The Jaguar branding had me lying on my back giggling like a school girl today when the car came in. The part number is the LS number.

Old 04-29-2015, 09:10 PM

A few snap shots of the new KYB struts. And the new parts and bushings installed.

That's how you completely overhaul a suspension ladies.

lcmjaguar (04-29-2015)
Old 04-29-2015, 09:14 PM

Final post. My old gear.

For sale if anyone wants it.

I cleaned everything for the final shot.

Old 04-29-2015, 09:18 PM

That's one thing I never removed, the height sensors. I might do that next time I'm in there. The air compressor is behind the left front bumper and accessable from the left front wheel well liner if you are looking to remove it.

I haven't managed to sell the compressor, but I sold my rear struts and air tank with the valve. I'm not sure what use the tank is, but it sold.

Naso--Lituratus (04-29-2015)
Old 04-29-2015, 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by Torrid
That's one thing I never removed, the height sensors. I might do that next time I'm in there. The air compressor is behind the left front bumper and accessable from the left front wheel well liner if you are looking to remove it.

I haven't managed to sell the compressor, but I sold my rear struts and air tank with the valve. I'm not sure what use the tank is, but it sold.
Nice, I will add that too

How much did you sell your parts for?

I drove 19 miles. It is firmer. Body roll has been DRASTICALLY reduced. In no way uncomfortable, in the short drive, which is obviously too short to tell, I feel it is a marked improvement.

Feels like a nicely tuned sports suspension. I will post gopro video soon.

Old 04-29-2015, 09:35 PM

I got $100 out of the tank and $150 a piece out of the rear struts. I need to sell the fronts to a rebuilder because one of them was for sure bad.

The conversion felt very stiff at first, but after a couple thousand miles it has softened a bit for more comfort. It's definitely still stiffer than the air setup and the handling is night and day better. I'm glad I did it for sure. It was comfortable to our drive to Santa Monica for vacation this last weekend.

Old 05-03-2015, 02:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,267 Likes on 2,384 Posts

Originally Posted by Naso--Lituratus
Sorry about that last post, the car will be being sent back to me tomorrow.

I have been told that for the future, and my kit including, they will be using a different setup.

Apparently for our cars the KYB struts give the car a better ride, so the upgraded kits will have KYB and Eibach components, they have completed the R&D on the bypass module, and it will be included in all kits for $200.00 extra. Those pictures were sent to me just to show that they detailed the car before sending it back.

I've said it before, but man am I happy with the service I have received. I don't think I have ever had such a pleasant interaction with a company.

I think the stance is puuuuuuurfect. I have some test in mind to show ride quality. You already know I will report back.
I'm really glad this worked out for you. Strut masters got to use your car to refine their Jaguar Kit and in return you got great service. Win win for everyone

Quick Reply: Naso's XJR Diary