XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Nav Update Failure

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2012, 08:40 AM
Received 125 Likes on 65 Posts
Unhappy Nav Update Failure

I posted this in another thread, but I'm breaking it out on it's own. I think I see a visit to the dealer in my near future.

I think I screwed up. I opened the trunk to put the new disc in, but unlike my BMW the key apparently has to be on to eject a disc. I walked up front, turned the key on, walked back and ejected the old disc. Through the glass I saw the nav screen read "Insert Nav Disc." I put the new disc in, walked back and got in the car and for some reason decided to start it. Right as I turned the key the nav screen flashed "uploading new software." The screen then went blank as the car started and it never came back. The temp display below the screen only shows the right side temp and the outside temp blinks on and off. The right side temp setting reads 50 when the OAT is displayed, and 51 when it isn't. (The OT says "outside temp" but there's no reading.

I tried the old disc, and I tried removing it and disconnecting the battery for a minute. Still a blank screen. What I'm afraid of is that this is like flashing the bios in a computer - once the update starts you can't interrupt it.

Any ideas?

Old 08-04-2012, 09:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,364 Likes on 1,480 Posts

You definitely can not interrupt the process or it will brick the headunit. Sometimes loading the old disc works but sounds like you tried that already. I am not familiar enough with IDS to know if there is another way around it, but I suspect not. Anything happen when you simultaneously press and hold the phone and menu buttons?

Old 08-04-2012, 09:47 AM

I put the new disc in and left the key on for about a half hour and it worked. I'll post a more thorough explanation when I get off the iPhone and on a real keyboard.

Old 08-04-2012, 06:01 PM

I had decided to stop screwing with the nav last night and search for more solutions. Howeve3r, I got to thinking - it can't be that easy to brick this unit. Something like a computer bios, yes, or rooting a smartphone, but most people who buy these cars don;t know much about them. I guarantee someone has put a blu-ray disc in their nav drive as some point - it's a dvd player, right? - so Jaguar would have to make them more foolproof than that.

This morning I read the link that tmurray posted and saw that it said to put the new disc in and then wait 5 minutes for it to recover. I put the disc in and then went on to work, which took about 10 minutes. Still no screen. I left the car running and came out about 15 or 20 minutes later and voila! Everything was good. The logo screen changed from green to black, so apparently the software updated ok. I haven't checked the completeness of the maps yet but it does seem faster.

tmurray's link is here: Jaguar x-type Navigation System Diagnostics

Old 08-04-2012, 06:18 PM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

glad it worked out - for both you and VegasVP.

I was a feeling a little bad, as I pointed you jn the direction of the DVD, but as you said, Jaguar could not make it that easy to brick the unit - especially with the normal cost of replacement.

Interesting that it is faster. Did you update from 09-10? Let me know how you get on.

Old 08-04-2012, 11:54 PM

The original disc doesn;t have a date on it, but I'm sure it's original to the car, so that would be 2003/2004.