XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Navigation Screen Scrolling when cold

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2012, 12:17 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Navigation Screen Scrolling when cold

This just started up when the weather turned cold. When the car sits and the temp is cold under 50, the screen will scroll as if the horizontal hold needs adjusting. once the car warms up, the screen stops and everything is fine.. Is there an adjustment for this? do I need to replace the screen? How much are they and whats involved with swapping them out? Sorry, 2004 Vanden Plas

Old 01-23-2012, 06:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry Aldo, I have no solution for you but I am here to say that I too have a 2004 Vanden Plas with control screen scrolling first when I start the car and it last for 3 to 5 minutes before it settles down. This problem along with Air Shock leak started from the beginning of the colder temperature (SF/Bay area, CA). I replaced the air shock and have no more leaks but the screen scrolling still exists. I am wondering if you ever found a solution to this problem.

Old 01-24-2012, 11:54 AM
Default 2004 Jaguar Vanden Plas TV screen issue

Originally Posted by hadia
Sorry Aldo, I have no solution for you but I am here to say that I too have a 2004 Vanden Plas with control screen scrolling first when I start the car and it last for 3 to 5 minutes before it settles down. This problem along with Air Shock leak started from the beginning of the colder temperature (SF/Bay area, CA). I replaced the air shock and have no more leaks but the screen scrolling still exists. I am wondering if you ever found a solution to this problem.
Sorry Hadia, I am no help, apears that we have the twin brothers of Jaguars. Mine as well when it turned cold this year had the Air suspension issue coupled with the TV screen scrolling. I thought they were related but not the case, replaced right front air shock but tv still does it's thing. Dealership believe it or not said deal with it until it goes out they are 5K to replace, they said they would rather sell me a new Jag than have me have to replace it. There has to be a tv repair shop for these... I will let you know if I find anything out...

Old 01-24-2012, 11:56 PM

Thanks for the reply. 5K to replace the screen? I rather get rid of this car.
After replacing the front air shock I am having "Cat System Fault". A search of Forum showed that a few others who replaced front shocks also ended up with "Cat System Fault" error code. Hope you didn't end up with this error. I am still dealing with it. If I ever find a solution for the screen I will post it here.

Old 01-27-2012, 12:46 AM
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

That must be normal my 04 XJ8 do the same thing Screen Scrolling when cold. I have only had the car for two weeks, I hope that the only problem I have I can live with that, it don't last that long.

Old 01-27-2012, 01:50 PM

Thanks for the words of comfort. It is a bit annoying because touch screen won't respond until no scrolling and it is 100% stable. Having said that, I can live with it too but what worries me is not knowing if it would stay this way or would it gradually get worse? That is the question. Lets hope for the best!

Old 11-10-2012, 04:27 PM
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default same

I just got mine today and it's scrolling mine didn't stop at all? Looking for ideas.

Old 11-11-2012, 10:09 AM
Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts

By a Jaguar without a navigation. .....

Old 11-11-2012, 10:12 AM
Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts

Seriously I had one in my STypeR and it had that issue I took it in and it was replaced under select edition. ... it happened a few years later after the warranty and it was the radio "amplifier" in the boot going bad. I bought one for $100 off of eBay and problem solved.

I forgot the diagnosis but it solved my problem and was working properly when the damned ex wife kept the car in the divorce! LOL

Old 11-11-2012, 02:22 PM
Default Navigation Screen Scrolling when cold

The_ Ikon,

I would be interested in testing that solution. Do you recall the part name and where it goes? or did you just take it in to Jaguar and the diagnosed and replaced?

As far as the other coments on the front strut with Cat System Fault, did you have the dealership do the work? I was able to get the shock online, genuine Jaguar part and my local dealership Gaudin Jaguar did the install with no additional faults. You may have to cash a cougaran and get them to reset the system and clear the faults...

I know I hate the dealership, they wanted $225 to change the front head light and $45.00 for the rear side night lights... Found the bulbs for the Halogen Head light and side night lights for $6.00 and $3.00 at Discount Car Lights...

Old 11-11-2012, 08:30 PM

Im very nervous about dealing with JAG dealership, first time going this week. The scrolling now does stop after car is on for about 20 min. Granted Its around 40 degress where i am. Im wondering if I can just get an aftermarket touchscreen large size and have the stereo shop put that in, def not dropping 3k$ for a 6 inch tv.

The following users liked this post:
34by151 (11-12-2012)
Old 11-12-2012, 05:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 737 Likes on 465 Posts

Sound like an issue with the sync wire on the the nav unit
Possible corrosion on the plug at the nav or head unit and or corrosion in the wire

Cheers
34by151

The following 2 users liked this post by 34by151:
jsupstarz (11-12-2012), vacmail (11-14-2012)
Old 11-13-2012, 12:11 PM
Default Navigation Screen Scrolling when Cold

34by151,

Do you have an image of what the head unit looks like and what wire I would need to check for corrossion?

Is the monitor an easy enough item to remove from the dash to view the wires behind it or is this a dash removal project?

Thanks,

Old 11-13-2012, 01:21 PM

To me, any wire corrosion or loose wire/loose connection would not be temperature dependent. In such cases, the problem could occur at any time. But, checking the wires wouldn't hurt.
Having worked in semiconductor field for a while would tell me that a batch of these navigation units may have some chips in them that do not meet operational temperature spec. This happens when quality is overlooked to meet the quantity or meet the sales quota. I have been there, seen that!

Old 11-13-2012, 08:01 PM

yea im gonna lose if they say there's nothing they can do. no aftermarket in dash will work with str. So to say the least im nauseaus.

Old 11-13-2012, 08:03 PM

oh and It seems like not too many people have had this problem or know about it. So my luck i get the 1 out of 3 jags in the world with this WTF

Old 11-14-2012, 02:18 AM
Veteran member
Received 1,151 Likes on 753 Posts

It is a rather infrequent compliant, i give you that. Removal of the head unit isn't too difficult. Yes it seems daunting, but two screws under the j-gate surround, two screws behind the little 'grille panels' next to the rear a/c vents, and the entire center armrest and console trim lifts right out. From there, the head unit is some more screws and it can be pulled and all those connections checked out behind it.

Before you do this, check out the electrical schematic for your car in the JTIS (if you don't have it, download it for free in the xk8-xkr FAQ thread) and look for the navigation 'sync' wire referenced above. Make sure all harnesses connections are clean and snapped in place well on the unit.

The following users liked this post:
jsupstarz (11-14-2012)
Old 11-14-2012, 03:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 737 Likes on 465 Posts

Check here for the wire at the nav unit

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/a...hscreen-79908/

I get some Pics of the head unit this weekend

If you remove the plugs at both ends check for corrosion. This may produce intermittent connection and or a loss of signal. If the signal is week it may be just enough when it is working

So while you have the connecters out test the resistance.
Easy way is to bridge the sync with any of the red, green blue at one end and read the resistance

Lets say you bridge sync and blue at the head unit
Read the resistance between sync and blue at the nav end
Now repeat using blue and red bridged and compare results they should be the same

Next test bridge sync and blue again and put your meter on the buzzer setting
Work you way along the loom and jiggle it all around. Be rough your looking for a short or a break.
You could also just run a new wire as a temporary test and see what happens
A good place for a break and or short is where the loom goes into the back seat from the boot

Cheers
34by151

Old 10-02-2013, 07:23 PM

Ok, after one year of research I finally found a place that has the Navigation screen complete with the stereo for under $500.00. Here is a link to LKO online where the screens are, below them are the discounted ones. I ordered one priced at $269.00 and paid shipping and a one year warranty for under $299.00 and the dealer charged me another $270.00 to install. Didn't want to mess with the head unit and all the wiring.. Works great. Used Car Parts - Truck Parts - Engines - Radios - Transmissions - LKQ

Old 10-21-2013, 10:42 AM

Ok, after one year of research I finally found a place that has the Navigation screen complete with the stereo for under $500.00. Here is a link to LKO online where the screens are, below them are the discounted ones. I ordered one priced at $269.00 and paid shipping and a one year warranty for under $299.00 and the dealer charged me another $270.00 to install. Didn't want to mess with the head unit and all the wiring.. Works great. Used Car Parts - Truck Parts - Engines - Radios - Transmissions - LKQ

Quick Reply: Navigation Screen Scrolling when cold