XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Navigation Screen Scrolling when cold

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2014, 10:39 PM
Received 31 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Another Rolling Nav screen

I have this happening on my 04 XJ8 and I dont think it's temperature related as I live in Los Angeles (although it does go down into the 40s some winter mornings Brrrr).

What does seem to affect it is the time between driving. I found that with daily driving the screen rolls a couple of times and then stops. but i just got into the car after a week of non driving and the damn thing has been rolling for a couple of minutes.

i am a bit confused when previous posters have mentioned the "head unit" and then discussed the center console removal. Isnt the head unit the thing in the trunk?

I think I will take a look in the trunk at where it connects to the unit first. Interesting how one was claimed to be cured by replacing the screen and another in an S Type was cured by changing a radio amplifier, what's that add up to I wonder?

Old 04-07-2014, 11:34 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Scrolling Nav Screen

Alan, after one year of research I finally found a place that has the Navigation screen complete with the stereo for under $500.00. Here is a link to LKO online where the screens are, below them are the discounted ones. I ordered one priced at $269.00 and paid shipping and a one year warranty for under $299.00 and the dealer charged me another $270.00 to install. Didn't want to mess with the head unit and all the wiring.. Works great. Used Car Parts - Truck Parts - Engines - Radios - Transmissions - LKQ

Some of the posts state that the head unit of the console is not that difficult to remove... There are instructions on how to.. in previous posts...

Its been over six month and no issues, winter was fine that's when it would be the worst. Good luck..

Old 04-10-2016, 03:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fixed

I have a 2004 VDP with same issue. I've followed many threads on Otis topic threw the years. My mechanic fixed it last week. Got screen from 2006 jag at wrecking yard for $300. Works like new!

Old 01-22-2020, 10:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 542 Likes on 423 Posts

Ok- so I nailed this down. It is not the screen itself, but the unit- you can take a good unit with a bad screen and swap them out to make a working head unit. My GUESS is that there are some solder points on the PCB that as they heat up provide a better connection.

Old 01-24-2020, 02:45 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dsnyder586
Ok- so I nailed this down. It is not the screen itself, but the unit- you can take a good unit with a bad screen and swap them out to make a working head unit. My GUESS is that there are some solder points on the PCB that as they heat up provide a better connection.
Wow, my post about flickering screen is years old though still aproblem. Thank you for providing an update on the screen. I appreciate that. I wish that was still the only problem. The car has been in coma for about 3 years now with an air shock leak and lose of cooling system. Due to air leak, the car went so low that no jack fits under the car to jack it up. The last time I dealt with another leaking shock, nightmare is an understatement. The battery is dead by now and can’t jack it up at least to see where the cooling leak is from. A beautiful high class looking car with low class engineering design.