XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Navigation Setup

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2017, 05:55 PM
Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by brian5
Best i could find was 2010 maps for the x350 in the UK, and as we here in Scotland have just had a whole new Motorway system built, that's pretty useless, and with smartphones having GPS and real time traffic updates, it's cheaper and easier to just stick the phone to the Jag screen and use that.
Basically, that’s what I do now, but for some unknown reason, I want to get the original navigation unit working with new maps.

Old 11-28-2017, 06:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,219 Likes on 2,367 Posts

Originally Posted by Aleather
From what I’m reading on the 2017 Volvo disk, the newer Volvo firmware file doesn’t load in the X150, just the data map files/dependent files load.
yeah that's an odd one. Cambo's software updated but others haven't yet their maps did. Anyway, if you buy and once you're done, feel free to donate the discs to me:-) I really can't afford them.

The following users liked this post:
Aleather (11-28-2017)
Old 11-28-2017, 07:14 PM
Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts

Yeah I know what you mean, if it's in the car it should work. It's a shame that a company like Jaguar can't support older models, The most up to date discs available for the X350 model are 2011/12, still available if you want to pay £169 for a disc that is 5 years out of date. The car was still being sold new well into 2010, so that means you could have bought a 3 year old Jaguar that was still well into the 5 figure price bracket, and still under manufacturers warranty and the sat nav system would have been obsolete and useless.
Sad really.

Aleather (11-28-2017)
Old 11-28-2017, 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by Sean W
yeah that's an odd one. Cambo's software updated but others haven't yet their maps did. Anyway, if you buy and once you're done, feel free to donate the discs to me:-) I really can't afford them.
If I go that route and buy one, it’s yours!!!

Old 11-28-2017, 09:51 PM
Received 4,454 Likes on 2,426 Posts

Please please please, stop referencing that X150 thread and the Volvo map discs.

They have nothing to do with the system in the X350. Nothing at all.

Aleather (11-28-2017)
Old 11-28-2017, 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by brian5
Yeah I know what you mean, if it's in the car it should work. It's a shame that a company like Jaguar can't support older models, The most up to date discs available for the X350 model are 2011/12, still available if you want to pay £169 for a disc that is 5 years out of date. The car was still being sold new well into 2010, so that means you could have bought a 3 year old Jaguar that was still well into the 5 figure price bracket, and still under manufacturers warranty and the sat nav system would have been obsolete and useless.
Sad really.
You couldn’t have said that any better!!!

Currently, I’m reading lots and lots of posts and threads in the gpsunderground website about the Denso navigation systems, a couple point to Toyota-Lexus, that have 2016//2017 maps and even some of these hackers/programmers got the firmware in these discs to upload and replace older firmware. Anyways, I just started reading, in hopes that I can find a ‘legal’ way to go about this - What a wealth of information in this website, supplied be persons that know these systems very well.

Old 11-28-2017, 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by Cambo
Please please please, stop referencing that X150 thread and the Volvo map discs.

They have nothing to do with the system in the X350. Nothing at all.
You got it!!! :-)

Old 11-28-2017, 10:33 PM
Aleather (11-28-2017)
Old 11-29-2017, 01:18 AM
Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Even if you could somehow get up to date map data into the system, the core Navigation technology is still very outdated. For example the routing engine is not very intelligent by today’s standards, and there is no possibility of live traffic data as you get with a modern system, no ability to lookup a route on your phone and send it to the system etc.
I would suggest the best solution is an Android conversion which lets you run TomTom navigation software which is the same as runs on all the TomTom hardware devices and gives you all the functionally I mention above and more (such as completely up to date maps!)
Ben

Aleather (11-29-2017)
Old 11-29-2017, 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by benwillcox
Even if you could somehow get up to date map data into the system, the core Navigation technology is still very outdated. For example the routing engine is not very intelligent by today’s standards, and there is no possibility of live traffic data as you get with a modern system, no ability to lookup a route on your phone and send it to the system etc.
I would suggest the best solution is an Android conversion which lets you run TomTom navigation software which is the same as runs on all the TomTom hardware devices and gives you all the functionally I mention above and more (such as completely up to date maps!)
Ben
I agree with you totally! But I would have a hard time doing this. For me, nostalgia plays into the appeal of these cars. Having these inferior parts are the car’s history, it’s character, a chronological record of the life and times of these cars.

In saying that, I did watch a couple YouTube videos on this and the android touch screens do blend into the car very nicely. <grin>

Last edited by Aleather; 11-29-2017 at 10:11 AM.
Old 11-29-2017, 03:35 PM
Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

I agree about keeping the originality of the look of the dash, and wouldn’t entertain swapping with a double din unit or anything that requires extra buttons to be fitted to the car. But my car is my daily driver not a museum piece and therefore I still want all the gadgets.
My own approach to the Android conversion is pretty much seamless as far as the look, and the car appears standard but you just gain a full android system by pressing NAV on the original touchscreen http://jaguar.willcoxonline.com/

Ben

Aleather (11-29-2017)
Old 11-29-2017, 05:38 PM

I agree about keeping the originality of the look of the dash, and wouldn’t entertain swapping with a double din unit or anything that requires extra buttons to be fitted to the car. But my car is my daily driver not a museum piece and therefore I still want all the gadgets.
My own approach to the Android conversion is pretty much seamless as far as the look, and the car appears standard but you just gain a full android system by pressing NAV on the original touchscreen http://jaguar.willcoxonline.com/

Ben
All I can say is WOW!!! I don’t know if I’m ready to go this route, because my two Jaguars are not my daily drivers, but I definitely will email you for details, if I decide to go this route. Very Very nice Ben - Good Job!!!

Old 11-30-2017, 06:24 AM

...there is no possibility of live traffic data as you get with a modern system...
Probably only someone in the UK can test this properly.

If you have factory fitted JaguarVoice in your car, open the navigation screen displaying the map, maybe have a route entered, press the voice button on the steering wheel and say;

"Navigation, Traffic Information On"

In my (UK spec) XJR the voice replies with "Navigation, Traffic Information On" but since the TMC is not free to air here, it can't pick it up.

It might be that you have to tune your radio to whatever channel it is that broadcasts TMC in the UK.

I can't test it down here, but it's strange that the voice command exists for the traffic info...