XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Need airbag suspension help

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2015, 07:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need airbag suspension help

My name is frankie and im in the woodlands, tx. Im trying to tap into my air compressor on my 2008 xj8 l so i can hook a controller to it so that i can raise and lower the car using the stock suspension. Any suggestions? Seems simple but i havent seen anything about it.

Old 01-30-2015, 08:19 PM
Received 12,943 Likes on 6,467 Posts

Originally Posted by Frankleroy
Im trying to tap into my air compressor on my 2008 xj8 l so i can hook a controller to it so that i can raise and lower the car using the stock suspension. Any suggestions? Seems simple but i havent seen anything about it.

Hi Frankie,

Welcome to the Jaguar Forums!

Given the way the air suspension is designed and controlled on the X350, you can't raise and lower the car simply by turning the air compressor on or off. The ride height of the car is controlled by the Air Suspension Control Module (ASM), which is mounted behind the rear seat.

The ASM makes adjustments in air pressure to the rear air springs independently and the front air springs as a pair (except on very early X350s). These adjustments are based primarily on inputs from ride height sensors mounted in the suspension - one on each rear corner and one on the front left corner (except for very early X350s which have sensors on both front corners). You can adjust the ride height using a dealer-level diagnostic system such as JLR SDD, but that is a slow process that would not give you fast, dynamic response while driving the car.

One possibility I can think of is if you could devise a means of adjusting the signals the ASM receives from the height sensors, which are ring-magnet Hall effect devices. Otherwise, you would probably have to bypass the ASM entirely and convert to a conventional aftermarket air suspension controller. You would lose the automatic ride height adjustment, but could adjust the ride height manually.

To learn most of what we know about the air suspension operation, read the Dealer Training Manual available for download here:

http://www.mediafire.com/view/7rdkgg...on_Section.pdf

I'll look forward to hearing ideas from other members.

And since we're a friendly group, please visit the https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/n...-intro-must-5/ and post an introduction so we can give you a proper welcome and learn something about you and your Jaguar.

Cheers,

Don

Last edited by Don B; 01-30-2015 at 08:28 PM.