XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Need Help/Advice???

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2019, 01:57 PM
Received 77 Likes on 47 Posts
Default Need Help/Advice???

Hello everyone, I need a little help and or advice. I notice a grunting noise when I start the car. I goes away after that, however, when I'm at idle and turn the A/C on, it make a terrible bearing type noise. This noise goes away when I increase the engine RPMs and it doesn't make this noise at speeds above 10 - 15 mph. Thinking belt and or pulley noise, I started looking around, changed both engine and supercharger tensioners ,idler pulleys and belts. They had small squeaks. While changing these things, I noticed that the Power steering pulley and the A/C pulley are badly misaligned. Both are bolted in correctly. Does anyone know a way to realign these pulleys? Or, is replacing the PS pump the remedy. The A/C and PS work fine.
I will attempt to record the noise and post, as soon as I figure out how.
Thanks in advance..

Last edited by joeleerj; 11-11-2019 at 02:04 PM. Reason: misspelled word
Old 12-15-2019, 04:26 PM

Never got a response from anyone, but I'll update and let everyone know what I found anyway. The noise was caused by the misaligned pulley rubbing against the timing cover. The pulley separated or came apart, whichever you like to call it. It also caused P0171 and P0174 codes, because the accessory pulley was not turning at the correct speed. I included pictures of the pulley and the tool I used to remove it. I will also have to replace the timing cover, since the pulley rubbing against it has made a hole in it.

Last edited by joeleerj; 12-15-2019 at 05:59 PM. Reason: spelling error
The following users liked this post:
jazzyjags (12-16-2019)
Old 12-16-2019, 09:18 AM
Received 241 Likes on 148 Posts

Glad to hear you found the issue. Are you looking for another timing cover? For an xj8 right?

Old 12-16-2019, 10:16 AM

Thanks Jassyjags, It took a while to locate exactly where the noise was coming from. No, I'm looking for an XJR cover. I think the only difference is the XJR has bolt hole for the supercharger pully mount. You wouldn't happen to have one would you?

Last edited by joeleerj; 12-16-2019 at 10:17 AM. Reason: additional info
Old 12-16-2019, 11:55 AM
Received 241 Likes on 148 Posts

I have a spare front engine cover in the garage. Not sure if it was for xj8 or xjr. Would you be able to send a picture of your current one and I'll verify that its the same as what I have?

Old 12-16-2019, 12:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 798 Likes on 670 Posts

Sounds like an unusual situation to me, never heard of such a thing myself.

Old 12-16-2019, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by jazzyjags
I have a spare front engine cover in the garage. Not sure if it was for xj8 or xjr. Would you be able to send a picture of your current one and I'll verify that its the same as what I have?
Mine is still on the car right now, so I can't provide a picture. If you can show me a picture, I can tell if it's the right one or not. Thanks!

Old 12-16-2019, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by Wingrider
Sounds like an unusual situation to me, never heard of such a thing myself.
Yeah, it's kind of unusual. It took me quite a while to track the source of the noise. Turns out, the rear pulley would move backwards into the cover on start-up and anytime the A/C was on, and this rubbing wore a grove/hole into the cover, over time.

Old 12-16-2019, 05:16 PM

PM sent

Old 12-16-2019, 07:49 PM

Here is the part. This one is not mine, just a picture of the one I need

Old 12-16-2019, 09:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 798 Likes on 670 Posts

Depending on the size of the hole, J B Weld, with some fiber screen might work to patch the hole.

Old 12-16-2019, 10:50 PM

I would love to have that option, but there is a nice sized chunk broken and has fallen inside the cover. This is from the pulley slamming into the cover on start-up. I'm gonna have to replace it. I really don't mind, since it will give me the opportunity to replace he timing tensioners and if necessary the chains

Old 12-21-2019, 12:00 PM

Waiting for the Timing I got from Forum member Jazzyjags (Thanks So Much!!!).
Removing all the pulleys while I wait.Here are a couple picture to show the damage the Crank pulley did.

You can see where the pulley was rubbing

The broken case was caused by the pulley slamming into the case on startup

Old 12-21-2019, 01:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,456 Likes on 1,952 Posts

Well I've been posting on this forum for quite some time, probably back to 2011, and this is the first post I've seen about this problem. I'm just wondering if the tensioner for the serpentine belt wore out and put a lot of drag on the pulley. Over time this loosened it from the other pulley. I'd check the tensioner, before reassembling. Whatever else is run off that belt could also be a culprit like the air con compressor, if it's on that belt.

Old 12-21-2019, 02:38 PM

Yeah, it the first time I've every seen anything like it, as well. That pulley turns everything except the supercharger. I plan to address everything I can see, while I'm in there.All pulleys, timing components, anti-sway bushing, etc.. The exception will be the A/C compressor. The air works fine and I don't think it is binding up. But, it could still be an outside possibility. If I could find a new one on the cheap, I would change it, just because..

Old 01-19-2020, 05:28 PM

Damaged front cover, after removal. Thanks to forum member, JAZZYJAGS for the replacement front cover. You saved me a lot of time and money. THANKS!!!!

Replaced front engine cover, front oil seal, timing chains and tensioners, valve cover gaskets and seals, spark plugs, coil packs, belt tensioners and pulley bearings, power steering pump, crank shaft pulley/vibration damper, pulley bolt and cone spacer, anti-sway bushings, changed oil and filter.

Gonna re-install the fan and shroud and fill with coolant tomorrow.

Old 01-19-2020, 09:02 PM
Received 150 Likes on 120 Posts
Default Smh

Wow. That's all I got!..

Old 01-21-2020, 10:07 AM
Received 215 Likes on 149 Posts

WOW is right! All clean and tight. Nice job.

Old 01-21-2020, 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by Mark in Maine
WOW is right! All clean and tight. Nice job.
Thanks Mark,
all in all not a very difficult job, the hardest thing was getting the A/C compressor bracket out, without disconnecting the compressor. However, now that I've done it, I could do it again in no time at all.

Old 12-23-2020, 12:33 AM
Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by joeleerj
Never got a response from anyone, but I'll update and let everyone know what I found anyway. The noise was caused by the misaligned pulley rubbing against the timing cover. The pulley separated or came apart, whichever you like to call it. It also caused P0171 and P0174 codes, because the accessory pulley was not turning at the correct speed. I included pictures of the pulley and the tool I used to remove it. I will also have to replace the timing cover, since the pulley rubbing against it has made a hole in it.

Hi, can I ask how you managed to fix the damper / pulley? Did you buy a new one or did you manage to have the old one refurbished? I'm having some bits of my damper coming off presently and I want to change it out but so far I haven't been able to locate a new one to buy. If you replaced yours with a new one, can you let me know where you bought it from as it has apparently been discontinued and is no longer available according to SNG Barrett in UK. I've tried a few other shops and they have so far either said there's no stock or haven't responded yet.

Thanks

Quick Reply: Need Help/Advice???