XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Need help with an air suspension leak

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2016, 09:58 AM
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Need help with an air suspension leak

I have a air leak (you can hear it and feel it) on top of the left front shock that you can only detect when the compressor is running and for maybe 20 seconds after the compressor stops, it is not leaking at the airline. The car will leak down overnite but raise up and drive normal during the day. I read some where on this site that there is a user replaceable O ring under the electrical connection, but I've not seen how to replace it.Can anyone help me sort this out? Also I have searched for the olive fitting but so far not found them, does anyone no where to buy them?

Thanks

2006 super v8 30k miles

Old 02-02-2016, 01:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 96 Likes on 86 Posts

I seem to remember reading something similar. However, getting the shock off is not something i Would attempt myself unless you are ready to disassemble a major portion of the suspension on that side of the car. You are most likely not going to be able to repair this anyways as the only o ring there is part of the air strut. It gets old along with everything else and tends to shrink in cold weather and begins leaking because it does not expand as well anymore. Not replaceable. I bit the bullet on mine and just had the shock replaced under a extended warranty. Otherwise look at $800 minimum for a used shock. Can order from Arnott rebuilt for $1200 I think.

The following users liked this post:
charliepace (02-02-2016)
Old 02-02-2016, 03:45 PM

So why does it only leak when the compressor is running. Still looking for olive's

Old 02-03-2016, 05:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 96 Likes on 86 Posts

probably because when you hit a bump it creates pressure in the shock. the seal cannot hold the pressure any longer. the compressor kicks in to refill, but shock can't contain pressure that pump creates? That's my best guess. Eventually the seal will give out and you will wake up to find the car laying on the ground...lol..i freaked out when that happened to me

The following users liked this post:
charliepace (02-03-2016)
Old 02-03-2016, 09:34 PM

Maybe

Old 02-03-2016, 10:40 PM
Received 13,204 Likes on 6,553 Posts

Originally Posted by charliepace
I have a air leak (you can hear it and feel it) on top of the left front shock that you can only detect when the compressor is running and for maybe 20 seconds after the compressor stops, it is not leaking at the airline. The car will leak down overnite but raise up and drive normal during the day. I read some where on this site that there is a user replaceable O ring under the electrical connection, but I've not seen how to replace it.Can anyone help me sort this out? Also I have searched for the olive fitting but so far not found them, does anyone no where to buy them? 2006 super v8 30k miles
Hi charliepace,

Your symptoms are curious. The air suspension compressor is not connected directly to any of the air spring/shock assemblies. The output line from the compressor connects directly to the valve block in the trunk, under the spare tire. The valve block then apportions the air pressure to the reservoir tank (also under the spare) and the four air springs.

You can narrow down the source of the leak by spritzing some soapy water around the top of the shock and air fitting, taking care not to wet the electrical connector for the ECATS solenoid. Bubbles indicate the source of the leak.

The most likely sources of an air leak are the brass air hose fitting, or the top seal of the shock, which is not an O-ring but a large molded rubber component that surrounds the top metal plate of the shock assembly and it is this seal that tends to leak in cold weather.

Another possibility that comes to mind is that the exhaust valve on your compressor is stuck partially open, or there is a leak in the air hose fitting at the compressor, and the hiss of air you are hearing is coming from the compressor rather than the left air spring. The compressor is mounted ahead of the left wheel behind the bumper cover.

At the link below you can download the Air Suspension section from the Dealer Training Manual, which is the most complete explanation of the system operation that I've been able to find:

http://www.mediafire.com/view/7rdkgg...on_Section.pdf

Please perform the soapy water test and let us know what you discover.

Cheers,

Don

The following 2 users liked this post by Don B:
charliepace (02-04-2016), Sean W (02-14-2016)
Old 02-04-2016, 06:15 AM

I have done the soapy water test, the airline is fine but I can feel air around the area where you would suspect the airbag leaking. About 15 or 20 seconds after the compressor stops the air leak stops and the car is fine to drive. So I guess the it could be the air bag or the O ring under the electrical connector shown in this post from reyesl https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...t-away-143111/ If it is this O ring, how do you replace it? I tried turning the nut but it just free wheels without loosening.

Thanks for the help

Old 02-04-2016, 09:20 AM
Received 13,204 Likes on 6,553 Posts

Originally Posted by charliepace
So I guess the it could be the air bag or the O ring under the electrical connector shown in this post from reyesl https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...t-away-143111/ If it is this O ring, how do you replace it?

Hi charliepace,

We'll have to ask reyesl if he thinks that O-ring is replaceable, but if I understand the part of the assembly where that O-ring is positioned, it would be unlikely to be the source of an air leak. There are two systems in the air spring/damper assembly, and that O-ring is part of the damper system, where oil and gas (probably nitrogen) are used to provide the shock absorption. The other system is the air spring, which replaces a traditional coil spring. The two systems do not comingle. There should be no pressurized air in the damper, and no oil/nitrogen in the air spring.

When you say you can feel air leaking around the area where you would suspect the airbag leaking, do you mean on the underside of the wheel arch, behind the wheel/tire? Or do you mean on the top of the air spring/damper unit in the engine compartment?

Cheers,

Don

Old 02-04-2016, 10:07 AM

On the top of the air spring/damper unit in the engine compartment. It stops about 20 seconds after the compressor stops.

Old 02-14-2016, 03:09 PM
Received 1,425 Likes on 1,067 Posts

Originally Posted by Don B

Hi charliepace,

Your symptoms are curious. The air suspension compressor is not connected directly to any of the air spring/shock assemblies. The output line from the compressor connects directly to the valve block in the trunk, under the spare tire. The valve block then apportions the air pressure to the reservoir tank (also under the spare) and the four air springs.

You can narrow down the source of the leak by spritzing some soapy water around the top of the shock and air fitting, taking care not to wet the electrical connector for the ECATS solenoid. Bubbles indicate the source of the leak.

The most likely sources of an air leak are the brass air hose fitting, or the top seal of the shock, which is not an O-ring but a large molded rubber component that surrounds the top metal plate of the shock assembly and it is this seal that tends to leak in cold weather.

Another possibility that comes to mind is that the exhaust valve on your compressor is stuck partially open, or there is a leak in the air hose fitting at the compressor, and the hiss of air you are hearing is coming from the compressor rather than the left air spring. The compressor is mounted ahead of the left wheel behind the bumper cover.

At the link below you can download the Air Suspension section from the Dealer Training Manual, which is the most complete explanation of the system operation that I've been able to find:

http://www.mediafire.com/view/7rdkgg...on_Section.pdf

Please perform the soapy water test and let us know what you discover.

Cheers,

Don
so with the unusually cold in NJ today (0 degrees and now 15 degrees) I knew I would find the car suspension down. Started the car and rose right up.

Now typically when it's above 40 the car would hold its own for a few days. Well, the extreme cold lead me to find the culprit strut.

Its the rear passenger strut. Within 10 mins of shutting the car down that strut was down onto the rubbers while the other 3 struts were holding up good considering the extreme cold.

When it warms up time for the soap test. I do have connectors, olives and the proper Jag spec tubing cutters so if it the air line I'll have this buttoned up quickly...

So the point is if you have extreme cold weather and your at a loss with which struts may be causing trouble check the car shortly after shut down... As we know the air suspension module wakes up every 24 hours and levels the car to the lowest strut height.

The following 2 users liked this post by abonano:
charliepace (02-14-2016), Don B (02-19-2016)