XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Need help finding coolant leak, pls.

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2018, 09:00 AM
Received 34 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Need help finding coolant leak, pls.

Hi
My 2004 XJ8 has a consistent coolant leak, and is getting worse. I'm a pretty good DIY'er but can't find it and I'm going nuts. I find dried coolant residue when looking up from under the car, which shows me that the leak is somewhere in front of the engine, near the cluster of rad hoses. However, I have stared at it with a flashlight, tugged on hoses while hot, and pressure tested, and can't find any leak. Topping it off twice a week, so its definitely coming out, and at a slowly accelerating pace. Visual inspection is getting me nowhere. If expansion tank leaded, I would see it, right?

Old 05-07-2018, 03:02 PM
Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by TucsonDave
Hi
My 2004 XJ8 has a consistent coolant leak, and is getting worse. I'm a pretty good DIY'er but can't find it and I'm going nuts. I find dried coolant residue when looking up from under the car, which shows me that the leak is somewhere in front of the engine, near the cluster of rad hoses. However, I have stared at it with a flashlight, tugged on hoses while hot, and pressure tested, and can't find any leak. Topping it off twice a week, so its definitely coming out, and at a slowly accelerating pace. Visual inspection is getting me nowhere. If expansion tank leaded, I would see it, right?
My 2005 top radiator hose is getting soft and needs to be replaced. it may be leaking. Other suspects are the plastic thermostat housing and the "valley hose" between the cylinders. I do have a slow leak as measured by fluid level in the expansion tank. Until recently, the expansion tank had a leak at the nipple. I replaced the tank. Need to replace the expansion tank to thermostat block pipe. It is not leaking but is getting soft.

Old 05-07-2018, 05:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 761 Likes on 637 Posts

The valley hose is a possibility. Normally the coolant will run down the back

of the engine but if the leak is relatively small I suppose it could dry out

on the hot engine before it gets there?

It will continue to get worse and then you will find it!

Old 05-08-2018, 04:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 798 Likes on 670 Posts

At that mileage, the thermostat with the junk plastic housing, valley hose, as well as all 10 intake manifold gaskets while its off the car doing the valley hose. Any hoses getting at all soft, or showing their age, replace. Water pump, with auxiliary, while your there, the serpentine belt, tensioner, with a new idler pulley bearing, also come to mind. Alternator, and starter could be rebuilt, as some preventive type of maintenance. With fresh fluids and filters changes, you should be about ready for summer.

Old 05-13-2018, 03:49 PM
Default Help again! Coolant leak - pulled off therm housing, now what!!??!

Hey
Need help please!

I've had a slow leak for a long time that began to go faster. I just pulled off the thermostat housing, and all gunk aside, the plastic and hoses seemed pretty fresh. O-rings seemed intact. I put in dye to trace the leak, and now have a big mess and lots of dried up coolant to wade through. See pic for the big yellow stain I now have.

So far nothing I've pulled off looks capable of leaking, O-rings still soft, etc. I hope I have another option, but I think my only option is to clean it up, re-assemble, drive it for an hour, then pull it all apart again and try and see what is leaking?? Any other ideas on finding a leak without all that labor?

Thanks.

Attached Thumbnails Need help finding coolant leak, pls.-jag-leak.jpg  
Old 05-13-2018, 04:06 PM
Received 1,425 Likes on 1,067 Posts

Hey
Need help please!

I've had a slow leak for a long time that began to go faster. I just pulled off the thermostat housing, and all gunk aside, the plastic and hoses seemed pretty fresh. O-rings seemed intact. I put in dye to trace the leak, and now have a big mess and lots of dried up coolant to wade through. See pic for the big yellow stain I now have.

So far nothing I've pulled off looks capable of leaking, O-rings still soft, etc. I hope I have another option, but I think my only option is to clean it up, re-assemble, drive it for an hour, then pull it all apart again and try and see what is leaking?? Any other ideas on finding a leak without all that labor?

Thanks.
Problem #1: your using the wrong coolant. Plan on flushing out the entire cooling system and fill with Dexcool.

The following users liked this post:
Don B (05-15-2018)
Old 05-13-2018, 04:15 PM

hi
I do, but I put in fluorescing dye so that I could try and see it come out with a blue light...

Old 05-13-2018, 04:22 PM

Guess I'll have to re-assemble and try again....

Attached Thumbnails Need help finding coolant leak, pls.-jag-leak-2.jpg  
Old 05-13-2018, 04:38 PM
Veteran Member

The plastic housing, should have been made of metal. As it is, the whole thing needs to be replaced, making it a lot more work than necessary. Unless yours has been done, keep at it, you have four more bolts to pull out, b4 reassembling.

Last edited by Wingrider; 05-13-2018 at 04:43 PM.
Old 05-13-2018, 04:48 PM
Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Honestly, I would replace any hoses that are easy to get to and also the expansion tank before refilling. Replacing hoses are always a good investment. If it still leaks, at least you will know where it isn't coming from. I swear the expansion tanks were made of recycled paper back in the day. Almost every Jag, Merc, BMW and water cooled Porsche I know of eventually has to have it replaced. Good luck
Steve

Old 05-13-2018, 05:25 PM

Thanks for the help!!!

Put it back together, and saw some seepage out of the thermo housing - guess that O-ring wasn't as soft as I thought.

However, EVERY time I pull off my air filter box, I manage to break off a tab. Do you guys have the same problem? Seems like a lot of work to get that cover off and on .....

Thanks for the suggestions - I'll replace the therm and hoses and see what happens - probably time anyway.

Don B (05-15-2018)
Old 05-13-2018, 07:17 PM
Received 227 Likes on 169 Posts

Water pump could be worth doing too while you have the access.

Old 05-14-2018, 01:37 PM
Veteran Member
Smile

Yep had mine on the shelf, for the first time i had to get into the cooling system, other than a coolant change, on the 04. Well the 07 had the thermostat, housing, unit, in need of replacement. So the 04 future pump went onto the 07. Need to find another to put on the shelf, so its there when needed for the 04. The stock one was not leaking, or giving any indication of any issues, on the 07. But with the mileage,(98,000+) plus being right there, no choice in the matter. Good thing to, found the broken off piece of the plastic housing, inside the water pump, when it was removed.

Old 05-15-2018, 10:15 AM

hi
I do, but I put in fluorescing dye so that I could try and see it come out with a blue light...
Thanks for reminding me about this. I am going to use dye and a UV flashlight for my slow leak.

Old 05-15-2018, 10:24 AM
Received 2,662 Likes on 1,827 Posts

The best way to find coolant leaks is to pressurise the system, after a cold soak overnight, to 1 bar. Check for leaks using a mirror and light.

The following 2 users liked this post by NBCat:
Dan R (05-15-2018), Don B (05-15-2018)
Old 05-15-2018, 10:00 PM
Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

To answer the question about the air box, yep. It's a bitch to get on and another to get off, though if it isn't on correctly it seems to put too much strain on the rubber snorkel and it pulls off the throttle body. My 05 had all the tabs broken off, but I found a good replacement at the local boneyard.

Old 05-16-2018, 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by PeteK812
To answer the question about the air box, yep. It's a bitch to get on and another to get off, though if it isn't on correctly it seems to put too much strain on the rubber snorkel and it pulls off the throttle body. My 05 had all the tabs broken off, but I found a good replacement at the local boneyard.
Spray it liberally with vinyl cleaner. It will become more flexible and easier to work with.

PeteK812 (05-17-2018)