XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Need info on XJR purchase

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2009, 06:48 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Need info on XJR purchase

Hello all, I am not yet a JAG owner but will be in the near future. I have come down to 2 choices, the XJR or XJ8L which will likely be 2007/08 model years. I have a couple of questions for you folks who have experiences with these motorcars.
1, In regards to the suspension differences. I think I read somewhere the XJR had a tuned steel coil suspension, or is this auto riding on an air system? Is the suspension tuned differently than the XJ8L, for a more sport like (firmer, tighter) ride.
2, This next question is subjective. What do you owners enjoy most on your late model Jaguar? Ride, Performance, Comfort and amenities, or Owning a vehicle that you don't see by the hundreds on a daily basis.
I have been driving Land Rovers for 15+ years so I am not new to the "British" vehicle issues. (Most people I hear saying how unreliable they are don't or never have owned one). And on that note what has been you folks service issues with these stately motorcars?
Thanks for any help to give me an in-sight as which to purchase.
Regards, Jeff

Old 02-09-2009, 07:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,202 Likes on 933 Posts

I like the looks the most. The construction is actually pretty nice when you detail the car. The weatherstipping is quite impressive. Many parts are actually well thought-out. The ride is a bit plush, options are easy to use.

I think the XJR also uses air suspension.

Last edited by mosesbotbol; 02-10-2009 at 09:19 AM.
Old 02-09-2009, 08:17 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the xjr does have air suspension.

Old 02-09-2009, 11:45 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Question 1. As already answered, the XJR has the air suspension. It is tuned for a tighter ride, but it certainly isn't like an M series BMW. In other words, your teeth are safe. I recently went from an 04 XJ8 to a 06 Super V8. I did drive an XJR (and found it not at all harsh. The Super V8 is supposed to be in between, but I couldn't sense much difference from a std XJ. Depends also on the wheel size. XJs do have nice rides, no matter which model, but a 20 inch wheel will make you know when you go over bumps as the side walls are simply much stiffer. And of sourse, the tires fitted effect how well the car turns in, corners, brakes, and rides. I think the 19 inch P-zeroes on my current car make it a little less luxury, certainly noisier, and certainly a bit slippery in the rain.

Question 2. What do I enjoy most? All the things you listed. It is nice to be the rare car on the road or in the lot. That being said, in teh California Bay Area, you see quite a few XJs of all ages. Not like silver S-class, of course. And around here, the only thing I see hundreds of are the silly looking and ubiquitous Prius, camped in the fast lane at 60 mph.

For me, though, its the combination of perfomance, ride and luxury that makes the XJ so attractive. The XJ is unique in how those characteristics are blended. The X350s are not as graceful as the X300s, but they are a lot better than the truely ugly German equivalents to my eye. I got my first XJ right about at release and the BMW 7 series was being blasted for its Bangle butt. (As an aside, how many of you snickered when BMW announced that Bangle was leaving to prusue other design challenges? The new 7 sure runs away from his design philosphy.) And maybe in the end, the XJ just has character like no other luxury car, IMHO.

Old 02-09-2009, 06:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by roverlr3
I have been driving Land Rovers for 15+ years
Ditto, to which the first thing I asked when I posted here was if there was a coil conversion kit available There isn't

All 04 XJ's ride on the air suspension (which to what I can find is the only real achilles heel of the car). Best I can tell each spring is $1k a piece and the compressor is about the same. And honestly it is the only reason I haven't myself pulled the trigger on one of these cars. But maybe I'm just being overly cautious, I mean face it, all the big saloons in this class are using the damned systems and none of them have it sorted yet, if you want a big D class car you are stuck with air suspension. At least the Jag's depreciation will make it a bit more affordable to begin with, and the 4/50k warranty is nice.

If I can quit swinging on the fence I'll own one this weekend..... maybe?

Old 02-09-2009, 07:42 PM
Received 198 Likes on 140 Posts

Take the plunge Jeff and never look back. I have had more fun with this car than the last six put together. It looks great and unlike black Lexus and silver MB's you don't find one on every corner. No matter which you choose, it will always stand out as one of the most beautiful cars on the road. I may get an R next time for the extra hundred horses. Although my sedate four door sedan has embarrassed a number of kids in their rice rockets.

Old 02-09-2009, 08:55 PM

Thanks Guys for the info. It all helps. If I keep looking I am sure I'll find a great deal on one of these majestic machines. There is no other auto on the road with such stand alone, second to none good looks, with great performance. The lines on this car are timeless and when you see one coming head on from a distance, you know immediately it's Jaguar. I have wanted one for many years, and the time shall soon come for me to own one of these beasts.
Jeff

Old 02-10-2009, 03:10 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I hope the time comes very soon for you, Jeff. As JackJohn said, you'll never feel slow in an XJ8. I drove my 04 Xj8 for 5 years and was always amazed at the level of performance from the AJ V8. Just don't try out an R. Talk about seduced by the dark side. R spec give your Jaguar an extra set of claws. Good luck on finding yours, no matter which one you pick.

Old 02-11-2009, 08:30 AM
les
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Wink

Hi.
I have owned both the 4.2 XJR and 4.2 SE.
I exchanged an Aston Martin DB7 V12 Vantage for the XJR after getting fed up with Aston having the car more than me due to faults.
Anyway, I can say with hand on heart that the XJR is the best car I have ever owned and is as quick to 60 MPH as the Aston but has 5 seats and all the toys you could ask for.
I also regularly got 32 MPG from it on long runs to France from the UK. It did have an Arden exhaust system and a K & N air filter though.
When I say it's the best car I have ever had, here is a list of my cars beforehand;
V8 powered Ford Cortina show and Drag race car.
Ford Capri 3.0S
Ford Granada Ghia x 2.
Ford Sierra 2.0 Ghia.
Jaguar XJ6.
Rover 3.5 V8SE.
1970 Corvette.
1971 Corvette.
1984 Corvette.
1973 Z28 Camaro.
1999 Z28 Camaro x 2.
Renault Scenic. 2.0.
Chrysler PT Cruiser 2.0.
Aston Martin DB7 V12.
Jaguar 4.2 XJR.
Jaguar 4.2 SE. My current car.
Volvo V70 2.4 Turbo. Her in doors current car and it's tuned to 405 Ft Lb too. Good girl!

Anyway, as you can see, I've had many cars to compare and would still have the XJR if I hadn't sold it to buy a place in France. I will get another one though one day.
Go with the XJR and have fun with all those horses.
P.S. An air compressor here in the UK is £250 which is about 360 US Bucks.
Happy motoring.

Old 02-11-2009, 01:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My preference has always been the XJR so I can't offer any insight for the XJ8. Without sounding cliché, I came from a W210 E55 (the old, non-sc’ed one), and I found the X350 XJR is superior in every way. It feels faster and offers a more exhilarating drive and frankly, it’s drop dead sexy in black. So far, it’s been a reliable runner, a lot better than the ‘bombproof’ E55 I had.

Old 02-11-2009, 02:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by roverlr3
Hello all, I am not yet a JAG owner but will be in the near future. I have come down to 2 choices, the XJR or XJ8L which will likely be 2007/08 model years. I have a couple of questions for you folks who have experiences with these motorcars.
1, In regards to the suspension differences. I think I read somewhere the XJR had a tuned steel coil suspension, or is this auto riding on an air system? Is the suspension tuned differently than the XJ8L, for a more sport like (firmer, tighter) ride.
2, This next question is subjective. What do you owners enjoy most on your late model Jaguar? Ride, Performance, Comfort and amenities, or Owning a vehicle that you don't see by the hundreds on a daily basis.
I have been driving Land Rovers for 15+ years so I am not new to the "British" vehicle issues. (Most people I hear saying how unreliable they are don't or never have owned one). And on that note what has been you folks service issues with these stately motorcars?
Thanks for any help to give me an in-sight as which to purchase.
Regards, Jeff
The XJR also has an air suspension system and yes it is tuned firmer then the rest of the XJs including the Super V8 Which shares the XJRs supercharger and big brake kit. Only Difference between the XJ and XJ-L is the rear seat legroom. 2008 body is updated, while 06 and 07s are identical. Hope this helps! And the main reason i got my R is because of its exclusitivity.

Old 02-14-2009, 12:53 PM

You All are making it hard "not to choose" the R. I have been trying to find as many reviews and articles that pertain to both motorcars. Everything I have found written, confirms what you all have said. In some of the other posts, it seems most think an extended warranty is a worthy investment. (I was glad to have one while I owned my Range Rover)
I have found a couple of "07" R models close, with around 15,000 miles, for $45,000, and an "06" 30,000 mi. for $35,000. Does this seem a bit on the high side in your opinions. To me it looks to be competitive in price.
Anyone dealt with the guys at "Forman Motorsports" in the Phoenix area?
Thanks, Jeff

Old 02-17-2009, 07:44 PM
Veteran Member

From someone that does work with the car industry:

For the 2006 you should pay no more then $30k and for the 2007 you should pay no more then $35k....you forgot to list the color combinations (def important!)

I have not dealt with Forman personally but they do have a lot of inventory on ebay. They have listed some previously wrecked and/or lemon law, non-clean title cars. Their prices do seem to be a bit high to me. Im not sure if they paid too much for them, if they try to recover too much overhead from each other car, or if they are trying to max out profit per unit.

Hope this helps!

Last edited by bmw745ion19s; 02-17-2009 at 07:46 PM.
Old 02-18-2009, 07:09 AM

Thanks for the tip on the pricing. I am coming close to making a deal on an 08 xj8l at the local dealer. 1200 miles and $16,500 off MSRP. Any thoughts? It was a VIP demo they would let their Range Rover purchasers drive when getting the Land Rover serviced.
Jeff

Old 02-18-2009, 02:43 PM
Veteran Member

Jeff, glad i could help. Pricing is my main way of being able to contribute here

Personally, I hate demos esp those driven by customers: its like when you get a rental car, even grandma who doesnt normally exceed 2,000rpm is out doing doughnuts in the thing. plus its probably been through more touch free car washes then most cars have been that are 3 years old.

With that said how happy are you with its condition? are there any flaws at all you can see? tires, brakes, wheel damage etc

what color combination and options does it have? is the $16,500 off MSRP their initial offer before negotiations?

Finally, how set are you on the 08 body style update as opposed to the 06 or 07 you described before? i take it your budget is pretty flexible?

Sorry for so many questions but I gotta ask them if I want to effectively help you.

-Erik

Old 02-18-2009, 04:43 PM
Veteran Member

Jeff, also separately let me know what year colors options miles price etc you are looking for exactly and how far youre willing to go to get it and your zip code, ill try to do a little searching of my own since you seem serious and ready to buy

Old 03-01-2009, 07:10 AM

The time finally came for me and thru negotiations that lasted about 3 weeks I now have a 2008 XJ8L sitting in the stable. (thanks for the help bmw745ion19s)
As I was driving my new acquisition home from the dealership yesterday I would notice the occasional head turn and second glance by passing motorist. Most were of the male gender however a few of the ladies also took a double take of the big bad leaper.
In my lifetime of always owning motorcars that were out of the norm, this big cat too feels very "Special" and like a rare breed of automobile that the masses of new car buyers would not make for their choice. And the fact that that I live in the Denver/Colorado Springs area and have yet seen a single "08" XJ on the road makes my motoring about the masses of BMWs and Mercs. seem stately.
Don't get me wrong, I "appreciate" all nice modes of transport and wish my pockets were deep enough to own one of every make, I just want to be in the one that is unique and driven by the majority.
Thanks again to all of you guys who gave me insight to Jaguar ownership
Jeff

Old 03-02-2009, 01:35 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sigh, yes the air suspension, having issues with it. but that won't stop me having fun. Yes low speed bumps you can feel, but on the open road, WOW, never drove a car that's so good eating up the miles, in long distance cruising, it is so tight and secure, never feel as if the car is even slightly out of it's depth. It has handling way above my driving skills. And I have driven some good cars. A Monaro powered by a 350 chev, on nitrouse oxide, a supercharged 5 litre Rover SD1. But they don't compare to the Jaguar.
Likes.
The performance.
Handling.
Look's.
The look's you get when stopped at traffic lights, then you are at the next set before they have even moved.
I talk to the cars, but this is the only one that talks back.
And yes, not very many on the road, so you feel special.
This is my first Jaguar also. So go for it.