XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Need source for hose retaining clip

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2016, 10:09 AM
Received 247 Likes on 177 Posts
Default Need source for hose retaining clip

Does anyone know of a reliable source for the U shaped retaining clips that Jag has used to lock thing like radiator hoses to their fittings? I think they've also used them on vacuum hose ends as well as other fittings where they snap into a groove on the side of the fitting to keep them from sliding off under pressure or vibration.

I've got a lower expansion tank hose fitting that's missing one and under pressure it leaks like a sieve. I must have not locked it in well enough when I replaced the thermo housing about a month ago and it started leaking yesterday.

Any used by Ford back in the day, or other manufacturer?

Old 12-14-2016, 12:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,756 Likes on 1,327 Posts

They are easy to lose when trying to mate connections. I spent considerable time looking on-line without any luck. I was lucky to be able to reuse some from older hoses that I was replacing.
If your under shield is in place it might be worth looking on top of it/them.

The following users liked this post:
Don B (12-14-2016)
Old 12-14-2016, 01:17 PM
Received 12,946 Likes on 6,468 Posts

As far as I know, those clips are only available in industrial quantities and consumers can only get them by purchasing an entire hose assembly. But it might be worth checking with some of the major European automotive hose component manufacturers like Norma, Behr and Febi to see if they can sell you one or a few based on careful measurements.

Another option would be to visit a local salvage yard and search BMWs, Volkswagons, Audis, etc. for the clip you need. I believe they've all used similar hoses since the late '90s.

Cheers,

Don

Last edited by Don B; 12-15-2016 at 06:47 PM.
AD2014 (09-08-2020)
Old 12-14-2016, 02:10 PM
Veteran Member
Default This was off my old coolant reservoir connector

Pic of one off my old hose at the bottom of the coolant reservoir.

Attached Thumbnails Need source for hose retaining clip-p1080109.jpg  
Don B (12-14-2016)
Old 12-14-2016, 07:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 325 Likes on 198 Posts

Type this in google: "coolant hose retaining clip"

Don B (12-14-2016)
Old 12-15-2016, 01:22 AM
Received 214 Likes on 133 Posts

Most useful tool is a remote house clamp tool.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...wCR9RWJmCDZCjQ

Clamps themselves are available at Grainger.

Don B (12-15-2016)
Old 12-15-2016, 06:01 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by dsetter
Most useful tool is a remote house clamp tool.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...wCR9RWJmCDZCjQ

Clamps themselves are available at Grainger.
I have that tool which is good for the compression clamps on most hoses. The clamps have to be at the right "angle" to grip and some of mine were not when I replaced my hoses.

However it does not work with the Norma style connector that we are talking about.

The Norma metal clips that Jaguar uses I have not found anywhere so a pointer to the correct size metal clip would be helpful.

I even purchased one that Ford use and it did not fit. Possibly it could be bent to the correct shape but risky.

That connector at the bottom of the coolant reservoir for me was very frustrating to deal with.

Inside is a rubber ring that if worn will leak anyway on reconnection and can actually be displaced when trying to get the connector to mate properly.

When working in that space its quite difficult.

Don B (12-15-2016)
Old 12-15-2016, 10:11 AM
Received 247 Likes on 177 Posts
Default Good info & a lead

Thanks for the responses as it gave me a lead I didn't have before.

The particular connector in question is a NormaQuick PS3 and is used in several locations in the cooling system plumbing and evidently even in some of the HVAC plumbing as well. There are also several other Norma connectors used but they're a different type and use different names.

Grainger didn't have anything and I looked through several hundred before calling it a day on their site. The local Ford parts man had no idea what I was talking about but the local dealer is a small store with new ownership so I wasn't expecting much. I guess if we knew specifically what model of Fords used that particular fitting and on which years we could find something and if I get a chance I may take my wife's car down there and do a show and tell and see what happens<G>

I figured "what the hell", so I inquired of the Norma in the U.K. site and explained that I was a member of a large international Jag forum and we were in need of some help in tracking down any specific information that could help us track down just the retaining clips from a local Jag dealer. With the word local meaning anything within 1,000 miles or Carrier Pigeon distance.<G> So we'll see if that produces any results.

I can't be the only person who has ever lost one of these things in the innards of these cars and I certainly won't be the last and Jag dealers (and maybe Ford as well) must certainly have these in their parts bins somewhere.

I'll post with whatever I find out.

The following 2 users liked this post by RDMinor:
Don B (12-15-2016), jackra_1 (12-15-2016)
Old 12-15-2016, 11:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 203 Posts
Default I lost one of these

Originally Posted by RDMinor
Thanks for the responses as it gave me a lead I didn't have before.

The particular connector in question is a NormaQuick PS3 and is used in several locations in the cooling system plumbing and evidently even in some of the HVAC plumbing as well.l other Norma connectors used but they're a different type and use different names.

Grainger didn't have anything and I looked through several hundred before calling it a day on their site. The local Ford parts man had no idea what I was talking about but the local dealer is a small store with new ownership so I wasn't expecting much. I guess if we knew specifically what model of Fords used that particular fitting and on which years we could find something and if I get a chance I may take my wife's car down there and do a show and tell and see what happens<G>

I figured "what the hell", so I inquired of the Norma in the U.K. site and explained that I was a member of a large international Jag forum and we were in need of some help in tracking down any specific information that could help us track down just the retaining clips from a local Jag dealer. With the word local meaning anything within 1,000 miles or Carrier Pigeon distance.<G> So we'll see if that produces any results.

I can't be the only person who has ever lost one of these things in the innards of these cars and I certainly won't be the last and Jag dealers (and maybe Ford as well) must certainly have these in their parts bins somewhere.

I'll post with whatever I find out.
I lost one off the fog light electrical connector. Where do you source all these clips?

Old 05-05-2020, 10:20 AM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Hello all,

I know this issue has been discussed in the past and every now and then it floats and rises again.

This time, it also came and "hits" me and I'd like to ask you, those who familiar with this issue,
does anybody has/holds the correct dimensions of this respective coolant reservoir hose retaining
clip fits C2C24567 or C2C17258 or C2C19596 hoses and whether the item offered here:
https://www.eeuroparts.com/Parts/845...p-32mm-F31799/ or here:
https://partsfinder.bilsteingroup.co...cle/febi/31799 or here:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Coolant-Flange-Sealing-Plug-Retaining-Spring-FEBI-For-VW-AUDI-SEAT-1J0121142/173756696468
is really and can fit the correct "NORMAQUICK PS3"(?) connector, https://www.normagroup.com/corp/en/norma-quick-ps3/

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Clapton7; 05-05-2020 at 10:24 AM.
Pristine97XK8Convertible (01-22-2023)
Old 05-05-2020, 10:48 AM
Veteran Member

https://www.normagroup.com/norma.nsf...%20catalog.pdf

Norma show them in their catalog. Would presume they only do bulk order or sell thru a distributor.

The following 2 users liked this post by jackra_1:
Don B (05-05-2020), Pristine97XK8Convertible (01-22-2023)
Old 05-05-2020, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by jackra_1
https://www.normagroup.com/norma.nsf...%20catalog.pdf

Norma show them in their catalog. Would presume they only do bulk order or sell thru a distributor.
Many thanks jackra_1 but, as far as I read and understood, our friend "NORMA" does not sell individually, (catalog p. 4 "PS3 – QUICK CONNECTORS"
this 4th part "Retainer (spring)" but the whole PS3 connector which is definitely unnecessary for me.

Old 05-05-2020, 11:30 AM

I just searched eBay for "coolant hose clip" and came up with several sellers offering individual clips. With a little research and communication with sellers you may find what you need. Here are a few of the hits that turned up:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-For...cAAOSwZL5eFiDQ
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Coolant-Hos...80f599c40ab108
https://www.ebay.com/itm/For-Ford-F2...AAAOSwjLtdX3J0
https://www.ebay.com/itm/09-10-11-12...QAAOSwqrVeoyB~
https://www.ebay.com/itm/For-2016-20...ry!37069!US!-1
https://www.ebay.com/itm/RADIATOR-CO...0AAOSwhMxd8wYE

Alternately, a breaker yard might be a possible source for a good serviceable clip.

Cheers,

Don

Last edited by Don B; 05-05-2020 at 11:33 AM.
AD2014 (09-08-2020)
Old 05-05-2020, 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by Don B
I just searched eBay for "coolant hose clip"...
Cheers,

Don
Dear Don,

Thank you very much for your efforts.

But, as the clip has different dimensions from one hose to another,
all I ask is the next A, B, C & D measurements to be safe prior
placing an order.

And, because this coolant reservoir metal clip material type is made
of spring steel which can not be easily processed, (i.e changing edges'
figure or lengths or diameter), all I asked is for the next A, B, C & D
size, (either in inches or mm).

Thanks.

Old 05-05-2020, 05:35 PM
Received 43 Likes on 30 Posts

When I lost a clip I used safety wire to hold the connection together. The clip turned up when I was doing an oil change several months later resting on the underbody tray.

Don B (05-05-2020)
Old 05-05-2020, 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by Clapton7
Dear Don,

Thank you very much for your efforts.

But, as the clip has different dimensions from one hose to another,
all I ask is the next A, B, C & D measurements to be safe prior
placing an order.

And, because this coolant reservoir metal clip material type is made
of spring steel which can not be easily processed, (i.e changing edges'
figure or lengths or diameter), all I asked is for the next A, B, C & D
size, (either in inches or mm).

Thanks.
The only critical dimension is C, which you can determine by measuring across the slots on your hose fitting. It will help to have a clip with a dimension D similar to that of the clip you lost, but you can measure the cross-section of one of the clips on a similar hose on your car to get a good idea of that dimension. Dimensions A and B can be approximate, but if you find a clip with the correct dimension C, its dimensions A and B are likely to be very close to the clip you lost just by virtue of how these clips work. B is always going to be a little longer than C so the clip can be pulled out to disengage.

Cheers,

Don

Last edited by Don B; 05-05-2020 at 10:05 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Don B:
AD2014 (09-08-2020), rsa760041 (08-14-2021)
Old 01-17-2022, 11:18 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default xf Coolant Tanl Hose Clip Source

I found this site which appears to have the Norma PS3 connectors available.

https://www.iq-parts-shop.com/en/nor...tor-10-mm.html

Old 01-17-2022, 11:32 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old 01-18-2022, 09:46 AM

Hi paul133,

Welcome to the Jaguar Forums! It's great to have you with us!

Thanks for posting those links.

When you get a chance, please visit the New Member Area - Intro a MUST and post a required introduction so we can learn something about you and your Jaguar and give you a proper welcome.

Cheers,

Don

Last edited by Don B; 01-18-2022 at 07:11 PM.
Old 01-18-2022, 10:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,354 Likes on 1,854 Posts

It all comes down to the details. Yes those are the correct style of clips but until we have someone try one we just don't know. As of now no one has been able to find the correct clips. Hopefully it is found because I have launched the one under the top coolant tank into the engine compartment and spent over an hour before I got lucky and found it!

Take great caution when working on those! They are difficult to tell if properly latched. There have been at least two guys who roasted their SC STR engines when they replaced that lower tank hose but did not get the clip properly installed. With coolant pressure it blew the hose off and being such a large hose the coolant loss was so great that in a very short time they cooked the engine. Just not enough time to react and save it.

Quick Reply: Need source for hose retaining clip